Finntroll 9/28 review

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
Why cant I ever miss the opening acts!!! I try to get there late but still get stuck seeing them. I left late and even stopped at Best Buy to kill time and I got the Pearl Room about 8:15 thinking I would have missed at least 2 of the three opening acts......nope.

War Saw was just finishing up. Bunch of annoying high school kids playing generic metal. They had a bunch of thier high school freinds there to support them. I only had to sit through 3 songs at least. The singer needs to be impaled on a pike. He is this little obnoxious dweeb.

Urn was up next. I will be very honest. They have potential. I would rather see them open for shows than all the crap that I have seen lately as openers and any other crap local act. I think thier strong point was when they did thier more folky stuff. The crowd really got into it and when the keyboardist played the flute it really made their stuff stand out. Found out she is the brains of the group. The singer wore this hilarious outfit, like a dark evil robin hood or something. His isnt that good of a singer. He sounded better when he was doing the irish accent for a few songs. After three songs I was dead bored of them. They need to really fine tune thier sound more. Add more hooks and folk parts and they may get a decent following around here. Until then they will be part of the dreaded opening act scene.

Withering Soul was up next. Pure crap.

The crowd was very hungry for Finntroll. I would say a little over 300 for the show at it's highpoint. Everyone was buying merch from Finntroll too. Expect to see lots of Finntroll shirts at the next bunch of shows. There were lots of high school kids and a few polish and russians that I have seen at Metal Haven a bunch of times....even the guy who recomended Black Messiah to me, which turned out to be great. He was plastered so I really couldnt thank him now. Finntroll got on stage after 10:30. Crowd went nuts. It was odd watching them. I have waited over 7 years to see them.
The crowd was going nuts for them. They came out in thier kilts and some guys had facial warpaint on. They just started knocking out song after song with minimal breaks between. Edguy needs to watch these guys and learn. They pretty much played for over and hour or so since the show was out at 11:50. They played all the songs I wanted except "Asfagelns dod". Which would have been a great intro song even if just played over the PA. The crowd went apeshit for "Trollhammaren" which to me on disc was to generic and commercial for Finntroll, but live it works so well. damn the crowd was dancing all crazy up front. I had this crazy russian guy dancing up a storm next to me. It was funny as hell. It was nice to hear all the songs I wanted to hear, plus the new songs from the latest CD were lots better live than on disc. Basically Finntroll lived up to the hype and build up for me. I am sure they will be back since they had a good turnout and sold tons. Would love to see them and Turisas tour together. Even have Ensiferum and it could be a barbarian invasion tour!

After seeing a bunch of shows the past week or so. I have come to this conclusion. Powerfest really needs to get a band like Sonata or Finntroll to get the young kids to the fest. It is cool to get newer and really undergound acts but they just draw the die hards in and that is it. It is going to take a band like one of these to get the young people there.

All in all. Finntroll were great. if you were not there...you missed out.

Glad you had a good time.

The only Finntroll I have heard was their WINDIR cover.
Interesting stuff indeed, though not really my thing.
Much better turnout than I would have expected.

I saw URN once opening for Trouble.
While not my thing, I agree they have some talent.
They need to market themselves differently.
They aren't going to win over a metal crowd though.
Bob - This is the band I was telling you about whose keyboardist I thought was a dead ringer for Julie.

Glad you had a good time.

The only Finntroll I have heard was their WINDIR cover.
Interesting stuff indeed, though not really my thing.
Much better turnout than I would have expected.

I saw URN once opening for Trouble.
While not my thing, I agree they have some talent.
They need to market themselves differently.
They aren't going to win over a metal crowd though.
Bob - This is the band I was telling you about whose keyboardist I thought was a dead ringer for Julie.

she looked nothing like Julie.

I agree. Urn has some talent, they just need tolook at themselves better and figure out what direction they want to go. The crowd really wasnt into them other than the one folk song they did. If they are going to survive, they should go the folk route.

I actually met the singer of War Saw at the Sonata show and he was telling me to go to this show and stuff. I wanted to, but I wasn't able to. Wish I could have.

I actually met the singer of War Saw at the Sonata show and he was telling me to go to this show and stuff. I wanted to, but I wasn't able to. Wish I could have.

The singer for War Saw was walking around telling everyone that they were offered the opening slot at the King Diamond show at the Pearl Room. Hope that is not true. there are already 4 bands that bill. No need to ruin it by adding a local.

Something tells me that this guy is telling everyone that his band is opening for all these big tours. Like I said, he needs to be impaled on a pike from his ass through his mouth and put on display at the next show for all to see.

Death to False Metal!!!!!!!

Are you their lead singer or their best friend?

I also saw pits during the worst band I've ever seen live.... called DevilDriver. Pits mean the people don't care enough about you, nor your music, to stand there and listen. Should say something. Unless you are Pantera.

Most people I see don't pit if they don't like the music. Besides, I remember people cheering after the songs. The singer even asked the 'fans' if they wanted one more or two. Many were yelling three. To each his own.

Oh, and I don't think that Diabolik was making any comment on crowd reception. He is one of the last guys I'd think would care. He was just saying what he thought of the band.

Personally I can't say as I've never heard the band.

diabolik said:
Like I said, he needs to be impaled on a pike from his ass through his mouth and put on display at the next show for all to see.

Now why do you got to go and start picking on some poor fish species? Isn't it bad enough that they have a reputation of being a stupid fish?

Have you ever caught a pike? Awesome top water strikes with a floating Rapala or a buzz bait.

What size fish are you talking about? It would have to be at least a 15 pounder to span the length of this young lad's torso.