Power fest review

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
After Pagan Fest, which was the show of the year for me so far, I knew it was going to be hard to top it. I arrived like I planned.....late. Walking in right before the band before A Life Once Lost. I basically went CD shopping. Then out of no where....Jason showed up. Within seconds we ran into a few others. I was soon introduced to one of our lurkers here by Rachel (Shadowlioness). It is nice to know I have people out there who think I am funny. I was shocked that a very attractive lady thought I was funny.:loco: The hardest part about this fest was trying to find time to talk to everyone from the forum. With it being so crowded also it made it hard to really hold a conversation without people bumping into you or just talking without someone else showing up. Ran into many board members...Epps1 (Ed)..who actually I was looking forward to meeting due to simular taste in music, Rachel, Jose, Deadheart (john), Ray, Ken, Boob, Pat and Brit, War Essemble, Powermetalnerd, and a few others. I still am very mad that no one would introduce me to Punkin77!!!

As we all know...it was packed as hell in there. First and foremost....to the promoters...Rob and Chris, this was not because of the bands playing before Iced Earth. These people were all there for one band...Iced Earth. As we all heard or saw from the hecklers...metalcore was not welcomed that night. Nor flamboyant singers from what everyone in the crowd was saying. I hope this is a lesson learned. next year Cresant Shield or someone like Dekapitator would be a more welcomed guest. Mixing the genres can be a tricky thing if not done right. As we all saw...it wasnt done right. hate to say it....told you so.
Iced Earth was about to hit the stage. Trying to find a good spot to stand was as hard as finding an intellegent Pantera fan. We were stuck in the far back corner. Like I said before...Iced Earth seemed to be going through the motions. Like others said in thier reviews....there was no backdrop, nothing extra to give them that bang! The sound problems didnt help. Having the mic go out that many times really bought things down. Wouldnt happen at the House of Blues....sorry, had to get that dig in after so many of out battles here. I am not the biggest Iced Earth fan around. Nothing will ever beat out the time at the Metro. That was such a solid show. There was just something missing from thier set.....just the flow seemed off for the first big show back.
After the show it kind of sucks that they were tossing everyone out the door. You didnt have time to check the vendor tables or anything. For those who got there early to get good spots, this kind of sucks for them and the vendors. I didnt mind carring my stuff with me since I wasnt there all day. It was great to have CDInzane there....great selection of stuff. Got tons of things I was going to order in a few weeks right there.

We went over to the hotel afterwards this year. It was fun to be able to finally sit and talk with people from the forum. It was great to sit and talk about stuff without having to type for once. Plus being able to put faces to names and kind of get everyones real personalities. Lots of funny stories exchanged and stuff.

On saturday...I was already burnt out of going to shows. I promised to get there early to see Sacred Dawn...who for some reason it was some big secret that they were playing on Friday night....wouldnt you want to promote that as quickly as possible? I dont think Chaoswave and Autumn Offering were bringing anyone in on thier own so why not make an announcement on friday night???

I got to finally talk to Veggie for a bit and finally also met Norm from the forum. The AngelofMadness showed up. It was great to be able to chat for a bit. People started coming in more and more. Started to fill up nice.
Having never seen Sacred Dawn yet, but having heard nothing but good things about them. I was actually excited to see them live. yeah I know...a local act who may excite me. They came out with 110%. Didnt waste time and played really well. Great vocals and very tight playing by the whole band in general. The crowd was really happy to see them. It was that or they were just happy it wasnt another metalcore act playing. It was a relief to see a good metal act playing. My only complaint is that they still need a few hooks in thier songs to really push them to that next level. While their songs are good...none really stuck in my head. But still, if they play a show I am going to see. I will get there on time to see them again. Wow. I never thought I would type that statement about a local act.

12th Gate was next. I gave them one last chance to impress me. Sorry. Just really not my thing. Rob, I like you as a person, just cant get into your band. Went over to the merch tables and ran into Ed (epps1). Got to chat alot and stuff. Also them got to talk to Powermetalnerd. Super nice person. Wish I had more time to talk, but really the one band I wanted to see out of the two days were coming up. Suidakra. Plus I was very interested in seeing how they went over with the US crowd.

I have waited years to see Suidakra. I even suggeted them for last years fest. Right away Ed noticed that the mic on the right side of the stage wasnt on so the backing vocals were gone. Damn you Pearl Room. They really played well and played lots of great songs. The crowd was into them but the moron end of the spectrum...lets call them the Ozzfest types....were confused by the folkish parts of thier songs. Saw the teeny boppers dancing in the pit that was mentioned in another review. I had this one idiot Ozzfest type tell me that there is this homo in the pit with a kilt on and what kind of fag gets into this shit. I guess there wasnt enough tough guy stuff in it for him. I guess he missed yesterday. I am glad the crowd otherwise responded well to them. I am sure they will get great reactions from the Pagan Fest tour when they join up for a few dates.

After that I was going to find more people from the forum to talk with. I have zero interest in Darkane. Met up with Brit, pat, War Essemble, Ed, and a few others. I was mentally done with the whole weekend. Just beat from everything. I wanted to see Testament so I stuck around. It started to get even more crowded now. more than friday night. I will eat my words (because they are so tasty), I didnt think Testament would have drawn that much. They were incrdible live. Everyone was into it. They showed why they are one of the greats. 100 percent heart and soul into it. 100 percent pros all the way. I wish they had a few of my favorites tossed in but nope. Still a great set. The drunks were really starting to annoy me. This one guy who thought his wallet was getting stolen and yelling at anyone who stood in his way was funny to watch, but it was just getting more and more heated with everyone getting impatient for waiting soooo long for Testament to get on stage.

After it was over....I couldnt get to my car fast enough to get home. I just wanted to sleep so bad. I didnt even get up till like noon. It was a blast all weekend though. I cant say enough thanks to Rob and Chris for putting on the show. As much negatives there are...there are equal enough positives too.

the cheers of the weekend.............

- seeing everyone from the forum. people got to see that I am a sweet guy and not a jerk. well sort of a jerk.

- being proven right about the crowd not wanting metalcore. hundreds of hecklers are never wrong.

- Seeing Suidakra finally and having Pagan Fest show that folk metal is popular....Rob take note. Next year you need to get one at least on the bill.

- Realizing that there are many beautiful ladies on this board and who go to metal shows.

- Having Lance King remeber that I was looking for the Derdain first CD and bringing it down. Hats off to you for that Lance. I will also be hyping the new Scelerata disc for you too. Maybe next year we can get them over here for the fest!

- having the 30 second acoustic jam sound better than the metalcore acts that played that same day.

- getting to see that very hot girl working the bar in the back. damn...every Pearl Room show she works. Very beautiful. Kind of girl who would never give me the time of day. She did though tell me water was 3 dollars. It is a start at least.

- seeing a great turnout for the fest. I think they made money this year. I saw Chris in the back of the club with a top hat and monicle smoking a cigar and lighting it with money. He looked like a slimer less attractive looking guy form the Monopoly game.

- getting tons of great CD's from the vendors.

- seeing that people think most of my post are funny.

- hecklers...no one wants metalcore at metal shows unless it is SOTU or Ozzfest.

the jeers of the weekend...........

- metalcore

- drunk morons who have no clue about Powerfest, just that Iced Earth is playing and Testament is playing the next night. These types are not the ones who will support the fest...they are there for the headliner.

- sweaty people with their shirts off brushing against everyone.

- metalcore

- long ass line for the washroom

- not finding out who Punkin77 is! I will one day.

- metalcore

- Will missing friday night....Will, as much as you piss me off and we fight, it sucks to high hell that you missed out on friday.

- metalcore

- just the drunk assholes on saturday night in general. way too many of them.

- not having enough time to talk to everyone.

- metalcore

I had a blast this weekend. Rob and Chris...as much shit as I give you guys. It was a top notch event...asides for some shitty ass bands. hats off to you guys. well....lets start bitching about next year and start suggesting bands already.

I will go with Aquaria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, we had a very nice chat Diabolik. I am still pissed that me and pate missed you and Jasonic on Friday night, especially when we were on the other side of a wall from you guys. And the 30 second jams were awesome; leave it to Brian Gordon to bring the party. I love that man. It was nice meeting board people, too (and seeing people I met last year). Especially metalprof, shadowlioness, normando, diabolik, saladbar, Deadheart (hello bandmate!) and so on and so forth.

It was nice to briefly talk to Rob and Chris, too (very cool guys; and much thanks goes out to them for one hell of an amazing weekend). As much as I did not care for A Life Once Lost and Arise and Ruin, I was pleasantly surprised by Epicurean. They did a really good job performance wise and musically and they put a lot of effort into it.

My only complaint is that I got the shit crushed out of me up front Friday and Saturday; but it was completely worth it for how hard Testament and Iced Earth rocked the house.

Oh, and my other complaint is that pate made me listen to 5 hours of George Carlin (he's hilarious, though, by all means) on the car ride instead of listening to metal to get us pumped for the show. :lol:

I have high hopes for Candlemass later this month and hope some board people will be there. :headbang:

I was really looking forward to hearing Twelfth Gate's new song. Their set was not as great as it could of been mainly from having sound issues, as soon as they went on Aron sounded completely different almost like he was screaming a bit too much just so he could hear himself, also during the new song the drummer looked like he could not hear a single thing (this was later comfirmed to be true), at one point in the song he completely stopped playing. Bummer.
One thing I can say is that Aron's "true" vocals came out during the new song, WAY different than the rest of the stuff mainly because he's not singing the old songs which have a different feel with Scott Huffman singing.
Hope you guys play a show soon and play the new song the way it was meant to be.

Had a fucking BLAST all weekend! Thanks Rob, John, and Chris! The sponsorship was WELL worth it!!!!! It beat dealing with the crowds on the floor! Excellent time. The only drawback for me was the lack of the Testament meet and greet, but that wasn't really a big deal given the overall awesomeness.

Didn't see too many bands because we were hanging and talking to people, but the ones I did see:

Ion Vein: GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!!! My favorite Ion Vein Performance ever. FUCK THE NAYSAYERS, Al is an awesome awesome frontman!!!!! I heard several snide comments from people and I defended you all the way! Why do we need another metal singer that takes themselves way too seriously. Get up there, sing your ass off, get the crowd going, and do your thing! Loved it!

Iced Earth: It's a shame the sound problems happened. I watched the whole show from above stage (thank you sponsorship) and the sound was AWESOME on stage. It was my first time seeing Iced Earth and I thought they were PHENOMENAL! Great great job. Still can't get the CDs for some reason, but the live show was great.

Epicurean: Decent enough, but it sounded like the singer was off key several times through the set (more than just a note here or there, I'm talking several runs and series of notes). Wouldn't make an effort to see them again.

Testament: Damn. Just damn. Perfect set for me. Alex is a madman, Chuck is one of the best frontmen EVER, Eric is a great showman and loves what he does, Paul is a BEAST (but SUPER nice guy), and Greg....well....Greg smokes a lot of pot. Perfect ending to the weekend. Loved every minute of it!!!

I was fortunate enough to make it on Friday night, though didn't get there until right before ALOL.

First off, let me say YOU ALL KICK SERIOUS AMOUNTS OF ASS!!!! So many of you seemed genuinely happy to see I made it out and were asking about my father and mother-in-law. Much appreciated. It meant a lot to me, a lot more than I probably showed face to face, as I am not one to get too emotional....

I already commented about ALOL in another thread. From a biz perspective, I totally see where they were going. Having IE and Testament meant that a gamble could be taken on the openers, as it wouldn't have much impact on the draw. The downside being that you had a pretty ticked off Pearl Room Friday night, all of who were pumped for Barlow's return to IE. Also, this resulted in a pissed off ALOL. So in the end, did anyone benefit from this? Just something to think about for future fests.

IE were very enjoyable. I totally though understand where Bob is coming from. From those of us who have seen IE many times, it was rather typical. Still awesome to see Barlow back in the fold. The band sounded great still.

Probably just as important were meeting many of you for the first time, like b00B, eppst1, War Ensemble, PowerMetal Nerd, OrbWeaver (Who I have to apologize, as I think Bob introduced you to me as I was trying to pass by to get to the merch booth, please don't think I was being rude!!!), many others I am forgetting, as well as some "lurkers" to this forum!!!

It was great to hang out with already known pals, such as Britt (Invisible Guest), Pat (Mr Kaschei), Vito (BalanceofPower), Rachel (ShadowLioness), Dan (Danimal), Jose (Saladbar - though only for a brief second in passing him by), etc, etc...

Unfortunately, due to it being so crowded, I never got a chance to run into Pate, Veggie, Ken (metalprof), Rob (I saw you from a distance, but didn't want to bother you as I know you were busy), DEADHEART (John - also, saw you as you were heading towards the soundboard, and didn't want to bother you), and many others I am sure I am forgetting.

Finally, I want to say that I am starting to buy into a bit more the whole concept of Powerfest being more than just a concert. In all honesty, the hardest part for me having to miss Saturday was not the bands, but the opportunity to hang out again with folks. Hopefully, the success of this year's fest will result in return attendance by a lot of first timers who were there solely for Pagan Fest, IE, and Testament.

Congrats to CRJ for all the success. It is more than well deserved.

- Will missing friday night....Will, as much as you piss me off and we fight, it sucks to high hell that you missed out on friday.

*Will on Laura's laptop/name*

:lol: yeah. I DID see you during the first few bands on Saturday, though. You stuck out like a sore thumb with that red shirt from the balcony. :tickled:

During Testament, I was sooooo happy that I went up to the VIP balcony instead of staying down on the floor. Seeing a small bit of the crowd collapse and crumble in on itself on the floor was enough to make me stay where I was the entire show... save for Suidakra, who I felt it would be best if I skipped out on and get cheese fries at Denny's.

I still am very mad that no one would introduce me to Punkin77!!!

I wanted to meet her too. She cracks me the hell up. I didn't get to meet very many new people from this forum (although I met more than last year)... I guess I don't piss people off enough for them to want to seek me out. :lol:

Mixing the genres can be a tricky thing if not done right. As we all saw...it wasnt done right.

As much as I, personally, liked every band to some extent, I have to agree, based on the reaction from much of the crowd. I love variety, but I think Iced Earth fans are much too "traditional" to sit through a long set from a band with such a modern sound, even though I thought they would go over better than they did based on their musicianship. If it were up to me, perhaps I'd put one, or no more than two, bands of this type in the lineup, and I probably wouldn't put one back-to-back with a power metal headliner.

- seeing everyone from the forum. people got to see that I am a sweet guy and not a jerk.

Yeah, I'm STILL baffled by that one. The only thing I can figure out is that you're not REALLY a jerk on here, either... you're just very to-the-point. :lol:

- Realizing that there are many beautiful ladies on this board and who go to metal shows.

The days of metal shows being a complete sausage fest are behind us, and thank god. :lol: I still can't use them as a means of meeting women, because I'm not really the type of guy the average metalhead girl is looking for, but it's nice to finally have some ladies around.

And on the subject...

- getting to see that very hot girl working the bar in the back. damn...every Pearl Room show she works. Very beautiful.

The one with all the tats? She's unbelievable! I think I may have drooled on myself, but I don't think anyone noticed.

- drunk morons who have no clue about Powerfest, just that Iced Earth is playing and Testament is playing the next night. These types are not the ones who will support the fest...they are there for the headliner.

Yeahbut... yeahbut... it's hard to find 2000 people in a single city, or even in this COUNTRY, who will support a fest year after year. The attendees that come just for the headliner are, financially, just as important to the success of the fest as those who show up for the whole thing... quite often, they're the difference between losing money and breaking even, or even pulling in a profit. Besides, all three days, I think the openers were better attended than MOST of the bands last year.

Ion Vein: GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!!! My favorite Ion Vein Performance ever. FUCK THE NAYSAYERS, Al is an awesome awesome frontman!!!!! I heard several snide comments from people and I defended you all the way! Why do we need another metal singer that takes themselves way too seriously. Get up there, sing your ass off, get the crowd going, and do your thing! Loved it!

You know, I heard a lot of negativity regarding his antics, and I didn't find them all that annoying or offensive. I though the "preacher" thing was pretty funny, and the "nigga" comment didn't faze me, although I can understand how it would be offensive to some. I just didn't think he sounded all that great, although he has a lot of power. I'd like to hear him again in the future before I pass judgment. I liked the new Ion Vein stuff a lot.

I've already typed way too much, and I haven't even posted a review yet, so I'll stop here.

DAMN! A whole bunch of people replied while I was typing that, so now I have to reply again. :lol:

I was really looking forward to hearing Twelfth Gate's new song. Their set was not as great as it could of been mainly from having sound issues, as soon as they went on Aron sounded completely different almost like he was screaming a bit too much just so he could hear himself, also during the new song the drummer looked like he could not hear a single thing (this was later comfirmed to be true), at one point in the song he completely stopped playing. Bummer.

Yeah, I remember not liking the new vocalist's clean vox very much, but if they were having monitor issues, then that's probably why. I'd like to hear him again sometime, to decide. It seems like the venue had a lot of sound problems this weekend.

Finally, I want to say that I am starting to buy into a bit more the whole concept of Powerfest being more than just a concert. In all honesty, the hardest part for me having to miss Saturday was not the bands, but the opportunity to hang out again with folks.

Damn straight! In the early years of Powerfest, I knew a large percentage of the attendees (they were the same people who go to ProgPower), but, with the gradual shift in the type of music that is represented, a lot of the original fans don't go anymore, and a lot of new people are showing up (including a ton of people from this board). I'm now finally starting to get to know more and more of the current attendees, and the social aspects really make things like this a much more enjoyable experience than the average concert. I actually *knew* a couple of people at Rachel's party! :lol::lol:

During Testament, I was sooooo happy that I went up to the VIP balcony instead of staying down on the floor. Seeing a small bit of the crowd collapse and crumble in on itself on the floor was enough to make me stay where I was the entire show... save for Suidakra, who I felt it would be best if I skipped out on and get cheese fries at Denny's.

LOL... well, the crowd-pushing is sort of fun, if there are women involved. :lol: You missed out on Suidakra, though. Third best performance of the weekend, IMO.

The days of metal shows being a complete sausage fest are behind us, and thank god. :lol: I still can't use them as a means of meeting women, because I'm not really the type of guy the average metalhead girl is looking for, but it's nice to finally have some ladies around.

And on the subject...

The one with all the tats? She's unbelievable! I think I may have drooled on myself, but I don't think anyone noticed.

yeah....that was her. definetly they type not into the red t-shirt wearing type of guy. thank god I have a great imagination where there are ladies who do!:loco:

yeah...the more and more shows it is getting less and less of a sausage fest.
thank god. not that any of the metal ladies are looking for a muscular , handsome gentlemen like myself.:rolleyes:

Like you said....I am very to the point. I am not one of those types to lie about liking a band just to fit in or just to agree so I am not the only one to say different. I am actually a sweet guy.

The days of metal shows being a complete sausage fest are behind us, and thank god. :lol:

Ha Ha!
Although, I did think it was pretty damn funny that the line for the Men's bathroom was 10 times longer than the women's.
That's a good thing about being a chick at a Metal show....we are in the minority.

I didn't get to meet a ton of people this weekend, as I was still sick from my antibiotics.
I had to leave half way through Iced Earth's set, but luckily made it to the end of Testament....even made it to the Afterparty....and sorry about the Boston Baked Beans, Rachel!
:loco:

It was nice to finally meet the infamous Diabolik and Jasonic!
See you guys again soon, I hope!

Thanks for putting together a great show Rob and Chris! And I like the 'Weezer look' Chris! ;)

you had nothing contagious did you? :erk:

it was fantastic to meet you. I am sure we will see each other again...lots of great shows coming up.

Ha Ha!
Nah...minor kidney infection last Monday...(which, btw, has to be the worst pain in the world)...and was on antibiotics that made me want to vomit 24/7...but it was better than the alternative.

And yes, tons o' fun in the upcoming months.

Might I add that SUIDAKRA were my favorite of the weekend....aside from Iced Earth and Sacred Dawn of course. ;)

I also missed out on meeting PowerMetalNerd, but from the sounds of it we were in the same place on several occasions and just didn't know it. Oh the irony.

There were some very attractive females there this year.

It was nice to finally meet the infamous Diabolik and Jasonic!
See you guys again soon, I hope!

Nice meeting you as well.
I wish I had gotten there earlier to meet more folks.

It will be nice to have more cool folks to converse with at upcoming shows.

There was definitely a good vibe between everyone. :headbang:

Epicurean: Decent enough, but it sounded like the singer was off key several times through the set (more than just a note here or there, I'm talking several runs and series of notes). Wouldn't make an effort to see them again.

That is the typical response people say about his clean vocals.

I still am very mad that no one would introduce me to Punkin77!!!

WOW!! Thanks so much! Those that were in the back (sponsors) knew who I was. My name is Laura, I did the design/layout for the program and I helped with the M&G. I am VERY short, have shoulder-length curly hair.

Anyone know who I am yet??

Maybe I'll get to meet you next year so I can tell you to fuck the hell off and kiss my ass. :lol: :heh:

WOW!! Thanks so much! Those that were in the back (sponsors) knew who I was. My name is Laura, I did the design/layout for the program and I helped with the M&G. I am VERY short, have shoulder-length curly hair.

Anyone know who I am yet??

Maybe I'll get to meet you next year so I can tell you to fuck the hell off and kiss my ass. :lol: :heh:

Ok, I saw you but didn't have an idea that it was you, next time I'll say hi.