cool blabbermouth review

aztattooedsean

crazed tattooed metalhead
Jan 19, 2002
Chandler,arizona
www.facebook.com
Being the best American doom metal band is sorta like being the best Italian chef in Des Moines. You may kick ass, but a lot of purists are gonna hold your address against you before they've sampled a bit of what you have to offer. NOVEMBERS DOOM has been dealing with this stigma since their inception — as if only fog-bound Limeys squelching along dark moors in ratty capes can properly convey the mournful throb of melancholy that is doom. True, many originators of the sound, the ones NOVEMBERS DOOM look to for inspiration — MY DYING BRIDE, ANATHEMA and PARADISE LOST — come from the U.K. But hell, the best cowboy songs were written by nerdy Jews in Brooklyn, as ARLO GUTHRIE once said (and if he didn't, he should've). No one chunk of earth has the market cornered on graceful, sodden misery, and to ignore NOVEMBERS DOOM for ethnocentric reasons is to deny some of the best, bleakest dark metal in existence.

The sound on "The Pale Haunt Departure" is massive, great walls of dark, opaque guitars crashing down, chugging along at a tempo that conveys an urgency and brooding sense of menace. Musically, at least, there's a passing resemblance to OPETH in places (something the band would undoubtedly dispute, but listen to "In the Absence of Grace" — its swing, its tempo and chords — and tell me it's not true). There's something almost regal about NOVEMBERS DOOM; their sound maintains that sedate, classy Continental vibe but holds onto a tension and aggression, even in the slowest songs, that none of the "old guard" of doom really captured in this form, then or now.

The star of "The Pale Haunt Departure" is undoubtedly vocalist (and sole original member) Paul Kuhr. His death vocals are deep and authoritative, while his clean vocals, always good, have never sounded better. His ability to carry a melodic chorus ("Dark World Burden"), pull off the multi-tracked Gregorian midsection of "In the Absence of Grace" (a truly spine-tingling moment), or bellow the emotionally charged lyrics of "Swallowed by the Moon" beside the gothic, soul-baring love paean "Autumn Reflection is stunning. The sense of loss and failure he brings to the depressive lyrics of "The Dead Leaf Echo" and "Swallowed By the Moon" is just heart-wrenching, a triptych to the edge of shameful despair, uncomfortably painful and personal (one hopes, for his sake, that he's writing in character).

NOVEMBERS DOOM are still evolving, shedding some influences (the oh-so-1999 female vocals are gone) and absorbing others, even as they become metric tons heavier and more powerful with each release. "The Pale Haunt Departure" is the kind of record you almost wanna call a work of art, an obsidian hulk of crushing guitars and primal sorrow, heartbreak and the futility of life captured in sonic form. An epic statement and a watershed in doom metal, location be damned.

- Keith Bergman

Yeah, I saw that review, which was one of the better reviews I've seen on Blabbermouth. Not a bad word anywhere. And yes, he's writing in character....almost as if he wants you to feel what he's gone through, without having actually experienced it firsthand for yourselves. (Hope that's a safe assumption to make Paul...if not, rip me for it).

Any way you look at it...the CD's totally killer. Def. gonna earn a top spot on my year-end list

The Spirit Seed said:
Yeah, I saw that review, which was one of the better reviews I've seen on Blabbermouth. Not a bad word anywhere. And yes, he's writing in character....almost as if he wants you to feel what he's gone through, without having actually experienced it firsthand for yourselves. (Hope that's a safe assumption to make Paul...if not, rip me for it).

Any way you look at it...the CD's totally killer. Def. gonna earn a top spot on my year-end list

Yeah, that's a very good asumption on the writing. It's all very personal to me, and i know it looks grim, but almost all of it is spot on truth. It's my therapy. Just keep in mind, it's only the painful areas of my life. I have a great wife, child, family, friends, and all you guys to help me vent, and im greatful for all of that!