Alex Skolnick On Metallica's New Album St. Anger

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
With respect to Ken and anyone else who likes this album, I must point out that when Matt, John and I heard it on the radio last week, we were all in disbelief. It sounds like the whole thing was pasted together using Pro Tools and the band didn't even play together in the studio. The once powerful guitar and drum sounds have been replaced with nu-metal like samples and thin tones. There is no unity or cohesiveness to the songs. Some of them are downright funny, as if Saturday Night Live was doing a skit making fun of them.
If they really wanted to recapture their old energy, they should have gone back to the garage and got in touch with who they once were. This album represents what they are now: a sloppy mess (albeit one with a lot of wealth and power). Lars Ulrich once said that Bon Jovi's music represents everything wrong with the music business. The same can now be said of Metallica. I don't mean to be so negative here, but as a one time fan of the band, and even knowing them a little from the Bay Area scene at one time, it's sad to see the that all the integrity which they prided themselves on is gone.

From http://www.alexskolnick.com/wwwboard/messages/1029.html

I give Alex alot of respect for saying how he really feels about that awful record they put out. To quote some guy on that board's reply , at least he's not kissing Metallica's ass like most people do. St Anger sucks

Couldn't have said it better myself...I especially like the Saturday night Live analogy...it's so true! I find the songs comical too. I heard St Anger on the way home from work today on the radio, and I listened to it in it's entirety because it was making me laugh out loud!

MindInsane said:
Couldn't have said it better myself...I especially like the Saturday night Live analogy...it's so true! I find the songs comical too. I heard St Anger on the way home from work today on the radio, and I listened to it in it's entirety because it was making me laugh out loud!

Has anyone seen the video? :puke: What message are they trying to convey anyway? o_O

St. Anger will do one of two things. It will draw enough attention to itself, and make people forget about the Load/Re-load era, OR it will make people go back, listen to Load/Re-load and after hearing St. Anger, will think those two CD's arn't that bad anymore.

I just watched that Metallica video of "Fade To Black" they recorded live during the Justice For All tour. Man, what happened to those guys? I'm not mad. The whole situation depresses me more than anything. Master Of Puppets was the first CD my pre-pubescent ass ever bought back when it was just released. If I had to pick one band back then that I thought would sell out, Metallica would probably have been the last one on my list. What a fucking shame for the real fans.