Alexi Laiho plays In Your Face live at EMG Studio - Discussion + future IYF tab

COBHC Rayza

Jun 5, 2009
To promote the new pickup EMG got Alexi to play In Your Face by himself with a backing track http://www.emgpickups.com/pages/emgtv the link is to EMG TV but mr laiho is the default video at the moment, as it should be :D

Now that the awesome video footage of this is available, an In Your Face tab should so be made. I am aware he screwed around with the solo and did a bit of impov but the rest of the song is basically there.

I think he did a great job, his playing was very accurate and clean, a solid tone from the new pickups and there didn't seem to be any hand slide noises or anything and he got hit the frets nicely, aswell as he added some kickass whammy bits!

Anyways, enough about me jabbering on, watch the video and leave some comments, this should be a discussion about In Your Face and should hopefully lead to a tab of some sort

Awesome vid. He plays really good compared to some other instructional vids, except for the solo maybe :p

yeah but I think the idea was he improved the solo. It did suck though, even the in your face solo is meh, he should've done the punch me I bleed solo in IYF haha that would be fucked but cool. What song do you think he should've done? thank god it wasn't like blooddrunk or hellhounds

I will do a tab, but since there's a video of him playing it, explain to me what's stopping you from now learning it the correct way??? It's like when Paul Gilbert does a 10min video lesson on one 6 note lick, and some moron on YouTube comments...'tabs???'.

If there are tabs on Ultimate Guitar with the right notes but the wrong positionings, then 30mins work and you've got a correct tab...no?

The sound was clean but it was eh for me, I actually like the rough sound in In Your Face - Cleaning it up is a mistake of epic proportions for me.

Should of been done on SixPounder or Trashed Lost & Strungout in my opinion.

I will do a tab, but since there's a video of him playing it, explain to me what's stopping you from now learning it the correct way??? It's like when Paul Gilbert does a 10min video lesson on one 6 note lick, and some moron on YouTube comments...'tabs???'.

If there are tabs on Ultimate Guitar with the right notes but the wrong positionings, then 30mins work and you've got a correct tab...no?

I'm pretty sure there will always someone who wants ot take the easy way out and have someone else (read: you, in this case) do the work for them. And this by no means you should, or are obliged to.

Just say no, so they have to. If they care enough that is. They'll thank you later.

haha true, sorry if I am comming off as "everyone do what I want!"

I actually have figured out a fair bit of it cus I like the song. I couldn't do the solo (thats why you may recall me asking for the rockhouse method tab a while back).
I just think that the ultimate goal here at the COB tab thread is to have an "as accurate as possible" tab for every Bodom song, and now this has come our way it is easier to do the IYF tab.
But I know you are working hard to get this done, thats why I thought I'd try help by making the thread then bringing up "hey this could help you and make the work easier".

Thanks again for all the hard work :D

I think you're missing the point.

If you figure out the tab yourself, the process of learning it by ear will have been far more beneficial to your playing and musical ability than having done it by someone else's tab. You will be less reliant on associating the right note with a digital number or even hand/muscle memory and more with knowing where certain notes are located on the actual fretboard.

I think you're missing the point.

If you figure out the tab yourself, the process of learning it by ear will have been far more beneficial to your playing and musical ability than having done it by someone else's tab. You will be less reliant on associating the right note with a digital number or even hand/muscle memory and more with knowing where certain notes are located on the actual fretboard.

Maybe it would be best for beginners to first try to discover by ear and then see a professional tab to see how you actually do it. I just check the tabs most of the time tho.

Agreed. When you're first learning to play, it's incredible aggrevating to have nothing accurate to check your progress to, like a good tab. So I do agree that everyone should try to figure it out themselves first. But I still want a pro, like mitch, to tell me how to do it properly. XP

I watched the video twice, then learnt the whole song. It's so stupidly easy!! :kickass:

But I will do a tab, because the purpose of the thread IS to have an accurate tab for each song, yes, but I just don't see the point of NEEDING one when the video came out. If anything, it should eliminate the need for a tab.

And I think I posted the tab for the solo in the link with my cover video, but that was on my old YouTube account. If you don't have it, I can reupload it until I do the tab.

I watched the video twice, then learnt the whole song. It's so stupidly easy!! :kickass:

But I will do a tab, because the purpose of the thread IS to have an accurate tab for each song, yes, but I just don't see the point of NEEDING one when the video came out. If anything, it should eliminate the need for a tab.

And I think I posted the tab for the solo in the link with my cover video, but that was on my old YouTube account. If you don't have it, I can reupload it until I do the tab.

Touche, see Mitch always knows what to say. He can be our Alexi until the real Alexi joins this COB forum haha.

SteveMCSteve, why do you always have to be so fucking negative? "this thread should die now" - wtf?
If anything the "first bodom song you ever heard" should die because while it is cool, we don't learn shit from reading it, its like a post a comment and never return thread which never fucking dies.
threads like this about recent events are the best ones because reading them actually gets you somewhere with Bodom and you get to see the awesome video

How is Aleksi doing that neck slide?
Where he uses at first the left, then the right and then again the left hand.
When I do it, there is a lot of string noise and the string which my finger is sliding on sounds like shit, although I've got super equip, and play for 2 1/2 years with a few hours practice a day?

Any tips?

EDIT: I Know, it's a fucking noobish question. lol