Alexi passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthoras_96

Mar 10, 2019
I just saw it on Facebook.

The official Alexi Laiho and the official BAM account have both posted this terrible news.

I'm speechless and shocked ... I was really looking forward to the new BAM album.

Guitarist Alexi Laiho deceased
One of the most renowned guitarists in the world, Alexi Laiho, has passed away. The musician, most notably known as the front man of Children of Bodom, died in his home in Helsinki, Finland, last week. Laiho had suffered from long-term health issues during his last years.
Alexi Laiho and drummer Jaska Raatikainen founded Children of Bodom in 1993, and the band was one of the most internationally acclaimed metal acts in Finland up until their very last farewell concert in December of 2019. Last year Alexi Laiho put together Bodom After Midnight, who recorded three songs and shot one music video, which will be released later on posthumously.
Besides Children of Bodom, Laiho was known for acts such as Warmen, Sinergy, Kylähullut and The Local Band. Awarded with a Metal Hammer Golden Gods and several other international prizes, the guitarist was also the main star, leading a group of one hundred guitar players at Helsinki Festival in 2015 in "100 Guitars From Hel" – a massive concert piece he composed.
"We are crushed by the sudden passing of our dear friend and band member. Words cannot describe this shock and the profound sadness that we feel", Daniel Freyberg, Mitja Toivonen and Waltteri Väyrynen from Bodom After Midnight state.
The talented guitarist and musician relished his roles as stepdad in his patchwork family, and as uncle and godfather. Especially during the last years, the important family ties brought a welcomed balance to his life and the active touring. Laiho was particularly close with his big sister, parents and his sister's daughter. Laiho's sister says:
"We are all absolutely shocked and devastated. We ask for privacy and understanding during these hard times. My little brother's funeral will take place privately."
Alexi Laiho will also be deeply missed by his family in Australia.
"Alexi was the most loving and magnificent husband and father. Our hearts are eternally broken", Kelli Wright-Laiho says.

The remaining members of Bodom After Midnight do not give any interviews at this time.
Jouni Markkanen
Bodom After Midnight management

No idea. It must have been caused by his health issues that are mentioned in the statement.

We probably will never know the exact reason. The band members won't give interviews at this point and his family said they want to keep everything private, which is fine.

This really hit me hard. I literally had to sit down or I would have blacked out.

I really didn't expect this to happen now. He seemed to be in a better condition at the BAM shows than during the Hexed Tour and his playing was better than ever in a long time.
His wife also stated in the official BAM Facebook Group that his health is perfectly fine. Seems like this wasn't the case at all....

Reactions: COB-666 and sfont
I can't believe he's gone.

Sole reason I ever became interested in music, let alone learning an instrument. Rest in peace.

Reactions: COB-666
What the fuck is happening

I assumed the health stuff in 2019 was just from the band's inner turmoil weighing on him

This is bumming me out a good bit :\

What in the actual fuck?? Man, this is a huge bummer. Very sad. He’s been my favorite since 2003. I remember hearing my first song like it was yesterday.

I saw them during their last tour in the US and he looked extremely skinny to the point everyone was talking about how he didn’t look good. Man, not a great way to start 2021. Rest in paradise alexi.

Devastated to hear this. Alexi and COB were a huge part of my childhood and the only reason I ever picked up a guitar in the first place. This still doesn't feel real. RIP.

Reactions: COB-666 and sfont
What the fuck?
I can't believe this. I'm shocked and it was so... unexpected. :(

Alexi followed the reaper.

RIP.

OmDVaDW.png

vrRs3Ra.jpg

uxRJw4z.jpg

W0Spe21.jpg

gCcMBIF.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Works0fheart