Alexi's magic arpeggio's

bobvex said:
Anything Minor and probably some phrigian modes too, he does mixolydian, Harmonic minor, melodic minor, a lot of kick ass scales

I don't know, I think Alexi usually sticks to the minor scale, and he throws in some harmonic minor and a few chromatic notes here and there. The arpeggios in CoB songs are almost always plain major or minor ones.

Laiho uses major, minor 3 string arpeggios. He uses this alot in Silent Night Bodom Night. he uses the occasional diminished(see Hate Breeder) another good song for sweeps is Towards Dead End, that has alot of minor, major 7th sweeps. He very occasionally uses 5 or 6 string sweeps, more the 3 string ones. Hope that helped

> PRACTICE!!!

Yes, that is the magic word. I need to seriously rehab my playing technique, haven't played for 2 weeks because i was fucking sick.

I started playing at about 12 years old (about 15 years now) but i spent about 10 years playing almost only classical guitar - which is excellent for the left hand technique - but my right hand playing is lagging way behind.

Cool, nice respodance. Could anyone throw it into writing though? Like on GP 3/4 or simply hammering it out like.
6------------------------------
5------------------------------
4------------------------------
3------------------------------
2------------------------------
1------------------------------

Well I don't know what to put down, he he you get the point though?!
Sweeping is escentiall i think!

e------------------------15-19-15-------------
h--------------------17-------------17---------
g----------------16---------------------16-----
d------------17-----------------------------17-
a-----14-19------------------------------------
e-15--------------------------------------------

he uses this alot i think

e-------------------------------------------------15-19-15------------15-19-T22-19-15---
h---------------------------------------------17-------------17----17--------------------17~--
g---------------------16-19-16------------16-------------------16------------------------
d-----------------17------------17-----17-------------------------------------------------
a----------14-19-------------------19--------------------------------------------------------
e-0-12-15---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that (hope it will look good, as I did it in this small quick answer window :D)

About playing them, like said earlier: PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started with arpeggios about 1.5 year ago and they go fine now, just try make your own style with which to play them and dont try to copy anyone. The way i play them looks a bit like malmsteen (when it comes to 3string arpeggio's)and a bit like paulgilbert when it comes to the big ones. Just play very, very slowly when u start practicing, and make sure every note sounds smoof. good exercices can be find anywhere on inet.

basically that kind of stuff yeah! it aint to hard! once you learn sweeping its pretty simple to increase the tempo!

krigloch: check out om videos on how malmsteen does it.. you basically lift every the finger from the string after you played the note (at least i do) so that the notes dont fuck it up and you just "sweeeeep" your pick very slowly :)

here are some 3strings exercises to start with if you didnt already know em..

d = down, u = up

d d d u u u d d u u u d d u u u
e---------12-15h12------------14-17h14------------15-19h15--------
h-----13------------13-----15------------15----17-------------17-----
g-12--------------------12-------------------16--------------------16-

BodomiC said:
e-------------------------------------------------15-19-15------------15-19-T22-19-15---
h---------------------------------------------17-------------17----17--------------------17~--
g---------------------16-19-16------------16-------------------16------------------------
d-----------------17------------17-----17-------------------------------------------------
a----------14-19-------------------19--------------------------------------------------------
e-0-12-15---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that (hope it will look good, as I did it in this small quick answer window :D)

I'm not sure if Alexi uses that one. I remember seeing it in a guitar pro tab and thinking it sounds kinda wrong. It might be an octave too low. He probably starts on the G on the e string or the B on the a string.
By the way, the song was either Deadnight Warrior or Warheart, can't remember. I might be wrong though. Maybe Alexi uses it in another song I haven't tried to learn.

thanks man.
this has nothing to do with this thread but I finally found an awesome keyboard player for my metal band. I also found out that he loves CoB!!! We practiced yesterday and finished up a song. It was completely badass with keyboards in it!!! rock!!

Hey darth, something you might want to start getting your hands on if you are able to find them, is a japanese guitar magazine called Young guitar. it is a great magazine, with only great guitar players in it, i just recently got a DVD lesson with ALexi Laiho, Gus G., and the guy from Sonata Arctica, jani something. Any way, it is all bodom riffs and the book provided shows you fingering techniques and stuff like that. It starts out with Chords and rythem tracks on Chokehold, and Bodom Beach Terror, but after that he gets into the leads, and then the 6 string sweeps with taps anddouble taps. Crazy shit, alexi is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good at guitar. :worship:

@ Serge: it is very similar to the one he used in Deadnight Warrior but he used it couple of times life. Its good practise sweep :)

Yeah, practise slowly, this is boring, it must be boring, dont try to play them fast until you will be puking with them... Then the skill will appear :D

hey bob..how do u get the young guitar magazine if your in the states...can you do a subscription online or something?

e------------------------15-19-15--------------------15-19-t22
h--------------------16-------------17------------17-----------
g----------------17---------------------16-----16--------------
d------------17-----------------------------17------------------
a-----15-19----------------------------------------------------
e---------------------------------------------------------------

i do this one quite a lot...i think this is right anyways...but if u practice it a lot...a good few hours a day on them you will eventually start doing it with some ease