Alice in Chains- A Looking in View

I can certainly understand why it's hard to take a 'new' Alice in Chains vocalist. Layne is one of my favorite vocalists. Dirt is easily one of the best rock albums. I love Staley's voice. But, imo, Jerry did this the right way. He has toured with Duvall, introducing fans to a singer who he thought could fill the shoes, who he gets a long with and has some sort of chemistry with. Then, spent a good amount of time in the studio with his band mates writing and recording, who all agreed with the move. I'm in the camp where I don't think Duvall is a clone and I was actually worried what he would sound like on NEW AiC after hearing what he sounds like live. But, giving this new song a chance, I was floored at how it recaptures the sound of early AiC, specifically Dirt era. I can't imagine any fan not giving it a listen just out of curiosity. That boggles my mind, the refusal to even listen. This song sounds awesome to my ears.

And I can't imagine ANY band not jizzing their pants at a chance to make money doing what they love, regardless of the line-up. People die. It sucks. But why judge them on moving forward with something, anything? Do you honestly think they are doing this to spite Layne or the name of the band? When people's spouses die, do people hope they never start to date again and expect them to live out the rest of their days respecting their former love by being alone and miserable? No, they make a new life, while retaining all the great memories of the past. Layne's memory is fully intact on every album he was on, every show he nailed and every show he barely functioned through. He made some great contributions to music, but he's gone and by his own hand. Jerry and the other guys didn't die with him. I watched the video updates they released from the studio and was totally digging the little teases they allowed. For those just judging them based on the name of the band without listening to the music, christ, let the music do the talking. If they made this album with a different name, I bet lot of people would say, "This sounds like AiC, what a ripoff". Piss on it after you can say "I don't like it". I love it when people say "they are just doing it for the money". Uh...of course they are. They are doing it for the love of music, the money, the fame, the blow-jobs, the chance to play music and make a good living, etc. It's one of the only reasons people start a band or want to be a 'rockstar' in the first place. That reason never goes away, just some people get good at what they do and people can justify the money they make as a result.

I can't wait to hear the rest of what they came up with.

I love the new song. AiC have been a fav band of mine since 5th grade for me, and I listened to them for the whole band, not just Layne's voice. Their music actually draws me in more than his voice, and you can't deny that Sean Kinney is an amazing drummer and that Mike Inez is an awesome bassist. Plus, I like the self-titled disc a whole lot, mainly because it was different and had a cool vibe to it IMHO.

What do the young ones say... QFT? Then QFT it is! :headbang:

I can certainly understand why it's hard to take a 'new' Alice in Chains vocalist. Layne is one of my favorite vocalists. Dirt is easily one of the best rock albums. I love Staley's voice. But, imo, Jerry did this the right way. He has toured with Duvall, introducing fans to a singer who he thought could fill the shoes, who he gets a long with and has some sort of chemistry with. Then, spent a good amount of time in the studio with his band mates writing and recording, who all agreed with the move. I'm in the camp where I don't think Duvall is a clone and I was actually worried what he would sound like on NEW AiC after hearing what he sounds like live. But, giving this new song a chance, I was floored at how it recaptures the sound of early AiC, specifically Dirt era. I can't imagine any fan not giving it a listen just out of curiosity. That boggles my mind, the refusal to even listen. This song sounds awesome to my ears.

And I can't imagine ANY band not jizzing their pants at a chance to make money doing what they love, regardless of the line-up. People die. It sucks. But why judge them on moving forward with something, anything? Do you honestly think they are doing this to spite Layne or the name of the band? When people's spouses die, do people hope they never start to date again and expect them to live out the rest of their days respecting their former love by being alone and miserable? No, they make a new life, while retaining all the great memories of the past. Layne's memory is fully intact on every album he was on, every show he nailed and every show he barely functioned through. He made some great contributions to music, but he's gone and by his own hand. Jerry and the other guys didn't die with him. I watched the video updates they released from the studio and was totally digging the little teases they allowed. For those just judging them based on the name of the band without listening to the music, christ, let the music do the talking. If they made this album with a different name, I bet lot of people would say, "This sounds like AiC, what a ripoff". Piss on it after you can say "I don't like it". I love it when people say "they are just doing it for the money". Uh...of course they are. They are doing it for the love of music, the money, the fame, the blow-jobs, the chance to play music and make a good living, etc. It's one of the only reasons people start a band or want to be a 'rockstar' in the first place. That reason never goes away, just some people get good at what they do and people can justify the money they make as a result.

Maybe I pegged you wrong ... just figured you were an old school AIC fan who didn't take too well to people having anything negative to say about one of your all time favorites. It just seemed from that first post of yours that you were taking the criticism a bit personally.

I liked them back in the day as well ... just didn't find this song all that appealing. I don't think it's anywhere up to the level of their top stuff, and thought it seemed a clonish and boring.

Oh well .. hopefully the disc will be worthy of your cash.

Britt

Fair enough. Not taking anything personally, just like to argue. In my opinion their top stuff ended with Dirt so I don't think Layne was the magic ingredient for the group as much as his voice and harmonizing were amazing.

Currently I am so blown away by the old John Arch EP that I am not sure I want to listen to anything else.

Fooking ditto a million times over...

"whatevs". You are just scurred that a band you once thought created good music might actually produce something you might like again. Don't be scurred, man.
I don't know what "scurred" means. Is that some sort of cool Hip Hop lingo?

Just click the little triangle. You might even like it! :)
I listened to the song a few days ago. It's not bad... it's not good... it's boring. Sounds like the same crap they were doing on that self-titled piece of crap in 1995. Which is the other aspect to all this. When Queensryche has more recently released something of quality (Promised Land), maybe it's time to just let it go.

Zod

If there was ever a clone singer it's got to be the dude that replaced Steve Perry in Journey.I'm not sure if he's still with them but when I heard Open Arms by this guy,I was shocked.I've never heard someone be DEAD ON like that to a previous singer.We all know Ripper can sing Judas Priest in his sleep,but you can still tell it's not Rob.The same goes with most bands that try and clone the previous singer.That Journey guy was just plain freaky though......

Steve Augeri did indeed sound a lot like Perry, but the more you listen to him he truly sounds like himself. He just had a similar range (smooth, higher end) to Perry. The new guy they have, Arnel Pineda, sounds much more like Perry tone-wise than Augeri ever did. JSS sounded great on the bootlegs I heard. I do wish they would have taken a sabbatical and let Augeri heal and return to the band, though...I thought he was a perfect replacement. In fact, when the album came out and my buddy asked me how he was, I said "Journey found their own Ripper...".

And someone who REALLY sounds freakishly identical to Perry would be Hugo Valenti (singer for Valentine and Ramos Hugo)...his solo stuff under the name Hugo sounds exactly like Steve Perry solo/lite Journey material.

Steve Augeri did indeed sound a lot like Perry, but the more you listen to him he truly sounds like himself. He just had a similar range (smooth, higher end) to Perry. The new guy they have, Arnel Pineda, sounds much more like Perry tone-wise than Augeri ever did. JSS sounded great on the bootlegs I heard. I do wish they would have taken a sabbatical and let Augeri heal and return to the band, though...I thought he was a perfect replacement. In fact, when the album came out and my buddy asked me how he was, I said "Journey found their own Ripper...".

And someone who REALLY sounds freakishly identical to Perry would be Hugo Valenti (singer for Valentine and Ramos Hugo)...his solo stuff under the name Hugo sounds exactly like Steve Perry solo/lite Journey material.

What is the Augeri guy doing now?

I don't know what "scurred" means. Is that some sort of cool Hip Hop lingo?

I listened to the song a few days ago. It's not bad... it's not good... it's boring. Sounds like the same crap they were doing on that self-titled piece of crap in 1995. Which is the other aspect to all this. When Queensryche has more recently released something of quality (Promised Land), maybe it's time to just let it go.

Zod

"scurred" = scared. Just trying to lighten it up and not come across so pointed, is all.

But I'm glad to know you at least gave it a shot. That's all I was trying to get at. I disagree with your assessment, but such is life. I guess I hear this as more of a Dirt era AiC, which can't be bad. But I don't really care for their later output much either, so if that's what you hear, then I can understand that...

"scurred" = scared. Just trying to lighten it up and not come across so pointed, is all.
Ahhh... I thought you were all street or something. :loco:

But I'm glad to know you at least gave it a shot. That's all I was trying to get at. I disagree with your assessment, but such is life. I guess I hear this as more of a Dirt era AiC, which can't be bad. But I don't really care for their later output much either, so if that's what you hear, then I can understand that...
Just curious... what do you hear? Facelift? Dirt? Something new?

Zod

Ahhh... I thought you were all street or something. :loco:

Just curious... what do you hear? Facelift? Dirt? Something new?

Zod

Well, I do like Eminem. Does that count as street? :loco:

As I have mentioned, I definitely hear Dirt...and overwhelmingly so. Something I never thought they would ever sound like again. It's one of my most favorite albums ever, so if they manage to re-capture even a little of that sound, I will be a happy camper. I can agree that this song might not have needed to be almost 8 minutes, but since the parts are so heavy and cool and with vocals SO AiC (mostly because of Jerry), I can look past that.

In my opinion, this sounds like vintage AIC. With that said, I've never considered myself a fan of the band to begin with. I don't have a problem with the band carrying on under the AIC moniker either. Whoever made the AC/DC and Bon Scott point earlier on in the thread was dead on in my opinion. I totally disagree with those of you putting Layne Stanley upon some "godly" pedestal. Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio, or Jon Oliva he is not my friends. shrugs....

~Brian~