Alice in Chains- A Looking in View

Hmm... I always found vocalists from the Alternative genre to just be a bit one note with little range. That said, AIC had their moments and hopefully the new one will bring more.

Finally, something we agree on. I too preferred Layne to Dickinson, Halford and Oliva. None of them evoked emotion like Layne.

Zod

All Cornell did was rip off Mick Stratton from More. Check out Blood and Thunder. And yeah, I was listening to Soundgarden before Badmotorfinger came out. ;) Now, I feel Super :D

What about Cornell? I'd take him over 99% of all Prog and Power Metal vocalists. If you're not familiar with it, give Temple of the Dog a spin. Very few albums have ever been sung with as much power, emotion and conviction.

Zod

Finally, something we agree on. I too preferred Layne to Dickinson, Halford and Oliva. None of them evoked emotion like Layne.

Zod

Zod, if you'll go back and read my post, I'll disappoint you once again. :bah: The point I was trying to make was, that I don't think Layne is anything special at all compared to the greats like Dickinson, Halford, and Oliva.

~Brian~

Zod, if you'll go back and read my post, I'll disappoint you once again. :bah: The point I was trying to make was, that I don't think Layne is anything special at all compared to the greats like Dickinson, Halford, and Oliva.
I know. I was being sarcastic and busting your balls. That said, I do prefer Layne to Dickinson, Halford and Oliva. If I sat down and listed out my Top 25 singers of all-time, I'm pretty sure neither Dickinson, Halford nor Oliva would make the list. They might not be in the Top 50. The fact that are three of the most unique voices in Metal, does nothing to enhance my enjoyment of their singing.

Zod

All Cornell did was rip off Mick Stratton from More.
Mick Stratton? Your criticism of Chris Cornell is that he sounds like Mick Stratton?

That's the most unique perspective on Chris Cornell I've ever heard. Cornell ripped off someone so obscure, that even Google hasn't heard of him? Seriously...

Google results for my name = 485
Google results for "Mick Stratton" = 663
Google results for "Chris Cornell" = 3,190,000

Why not just claim Cornell ripped off your buddy Frank, who was in a garage band with you when you guys were 14?

Perhaps Cornell does sound like Mick Stratton. However, I'm fairly certain if you searched the annals of music history, you'll find a doppelgänger for every vocalist. Mick Stratton, or your buddy Frank aside, Cornell is an amazing vocalist.

Zod

I know. I was being sarcastic and busting your balls. That said, I do prefer Layne to Dickinson, Halford and Oliva. If I sat down and listed out my Top 25 singers of all-time, I'm pretty sure neither Dickinson, Halford nor Oliva would make the list. They might not be in the Top 50. The fact that are three of the most unique voices in Metal, does nothing to enhance my enjoyment of their singing.

Zod

Ahhh...I see! :loco: I missed your sarcasm on that one...I'm slippin! :dopey:

~Brian~

Zod

I would have to agree with you there. Those singers truly haven't done much for me either. I find Layne's angst, misery and passion undeniable, whereas, the others mentioned just merely exist in their respective bands with a recognizable voice.

Mick Stratton? Your criticism of Chris Cornell is that he sounds like Mick Stratton?

That's the most unique perspective on Chris Cornell I've ever heard. Cornell ripped off someone so obscure, that even Google hasn't heard of him? Seriously...

Google results for my name = 485
Google results for "Mick Stratton" = 663
Google results for "Chris Cornell" = 3,190,000

Why not just claim Cornell ripped off your buddy Frank, who was in a garage band with you when you guys were 14?

Perhaps Cornell does sound like Mick Stratton. However, I'm fairly certain if you searched the annals of music history, you'll find a doppelgänger for every vocalist. Mick Stratton, or your buddy Frank aside, Cornell is an amazing vocalist.

Zod

:lol: I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.. damn that was funny. *cheers to Frank

I would have to agree with you there. Those singers truly haven't done much for me either. I find Layne's angst, misery and passion undeniable, whereas, the others mentioned just merely exist in their respective bands with a recognizable voice.

I should let this go, but I haven't learned my lesson yet. You're telling me that Layne Stanley has a more passionate voice than Jon Oliva??? In other words, you can hear what Layne is feeling moreso than what Jon is feeling in his music. That's called bullshit, Joel!

~Brian~

You're telling me that Layne Stanley has a more passionate voice than Jon Oliva???

Speaking for me...yes.

In other words, you can hear what Layne is feeling moreso than what Jon is feeling in his music. That's called bullshit, Joel!

He feels what he feels...there are no set rules. The only thing true in that statement is that he "feels" Layne and you do not...nobody's right or wrong. You can't regulate interpretation and effect.

What about Dio??? When Ronnie asked "Who cries for the children?", did that not make you weep???
Love Dio. Definitely one of my favorite singers.

:lol: I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.. damn that was funny. *cheers to Frank
:D

You're telling me that Layne Stanley has a more passionate voice than Jon Oliva??? In other words, you can hear what Layne is feeling moreso than what Jon is feeling in his music. That's called bullshit, Joel!
Yep... that's what I'm telling you. Layne over Jon every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Please do that, Zod. And mention their bands as well just in case we don't know who they are.
I'll try to give that whirl tonight, if I get some time, just for shits and giggles.

Zod

Please do that, Zod. And mention their bands as well just in case we don't know who they are.
OK... not as tough as I thought. Just a quick scan through my CD collection:

1. Geoff Tate
2. Matt Barlow
3. Ronnie James Dio
4. Chris Cornell
5. Russell Allen

The remaining 20, in alphabetical order...

Alan Averill "Nemtheanga"
Chris Salinas
Glenn Danzig
David Coverdale
Eric Adams
Erik Rosvald
Jeff Keith
Lance King
Layne Staley
Michael Eriksen
Nils K. Rue
Paul Kuhr
Ray Alder
Ray Gillen
Roy Khan
Sebastian Bach
Ted Pilot
Tim Owens
Urban Breed
Warrell Dane

Zod

I should let this go, but I haven't learned my lesson yet. You're telling me that Layne Stanley has a more passionate voice than Jon Oliva??? In other words, you can hear what Layne is feeling moreso than what Jon is feeling in his music. That's called bullshit, Joel!

~Brian~

No, it's called taste, and more specifically, MY taste. I actually don't really care for Savatage in general. Knowing that, this shouldn't be that surprising.

But yes, I feel Layne 10 x's more than those other singers mentioned. Dio is the closest in that department. The only thing Jon has made me feel is my bruised liver after drinking in close proximity to him. :)

You can say singer x has better technique than singer y. But for me, delivery has way more to do with my enjoyment than any technical aspect of singing, or playing for that matter.

Layne has more anguish in his delivery than Dickinson has power in his vibrato. It's just the way it is for me. I also prefer Cornell to any of those mentioned, even today in his toned down approach. Speaking of ripping off...anyone ever hear Mental Hippie Blood? They were from Sweden with a cool heavier approach and a Cornell clone...but it rocked. :)

I think I'm starting to pick up on the distinction with the point Zod is trying to make, because there is a difference between evoking emotion and simply singing with conviction.

For example: when Rob Halford says "I want to go...I want to go...I WANNA GO...HOT ROCKIN'!!!", he sings it with such conviction that I firmly believe HOT ROCKIN is truly the place where Halford would like to go at that very moment in time; however, just because he is so convincing in his desire to be in a state or place of HOT ROCKIN doesn't necessarily mean there is any depth to his level of emotion on the subject...it's really more of an exclamation, than anything...which I think we can all agree the Metal God does as well as anyone. However, if Layne were to have ever suggested that he, too, would like to go HOT ROCKIN, I don't think it would have been very convincing at all...but if Layne were to convey his disappointment and the betrayal he felt because he didn't get to go HOT ROCKIN with the rest of the guys, I think we could have had another melancholic masterpiece on our hands.

But yes, I feel Layne 10 x's more than those other singers mentioned. Dio is the closest in that department. The only thing Jon has made me feel is my bruised liver after drinking in close proximity to him.
This.

You can say singer x has better technique than singer y. But for me, delivery has way more to do with my enjoyment than any technical aspect of singing, or playing for that matter.
And this.

Layne has more anguish in his delivery than Dickinson has power in his vibrato. It's just the way it is for me. I also prefer Cornell to any of those mentioned, even today in his toned down approach.
And this also.

Zod