Alice in Chains "Would?" Opeth cover a diff song by them?

You're referring to Mark Lanagan (probably didn't spell his name right) but I don't know if he was an "official" member of the band, he just sang on like 2 songs or something.

Yeah Soundgarden is good, I guess Pearl Jam is just like the only band I didn't really get into from the Seattle scene (and Mud Honey . ..they suck)

Opeth should cover "SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT" . . . . . . . :puke:

lolol i agree, Mudhoney is some really fucking worthless garbage.

Apart from AIC, Sunny Day Real Estate was the 2nd best seattle band. Their last albums are amazing prog-influenced alt. rock, just beautiful stuff.

Yeah, that's a pretty bad label they got. The 1st albums were a huge influence for the whole EMO scene. But i'm tellin you, the last 2 albums are amazing, they are even critically acclaimed...any fan of good music should check 'em out.

Mark Lanegan sang on two mad season songs: above & long gone day. Mark kicks ass and so did the screaming trees, such an underrated seattle band.

the only seattle band i never got into (and actually despide) is nirvana : puke : and mudhoney,.. but they are pure garbage, so i don't even take them as a serious band at all.

opeth could do some great covers from seattle bands,... now that i remember, candlebox had some amazing tunes... opeth covering far behind would make me very very happy.

fuck, i miss the days when mainstream rock had some cool bands. :( what happened?

Tell me a single acoustic-based PJ song that's better or deeper than anything from the Sap ep or the Jar of flies album.QUOTE]

Elderly woman and Oceans.

<3 Oceans. For deepest I'd probably go Corduroy, In My Tree or maybe Long Road. I think the Vs album is massively overrated. Ten and Vitalogy ftw. People don't recognize that PJ are a rare popular band in that that got less commercial and weirder as they went on, with the exception of their most recent album, which was utter crap.

But yeah, whether it's deep as AIC I don't know, the drugs would have put them on another level creatively.

the last record was not utter crap. it was half utter crap/half amazing

parachutes, come back, severed hand, inside job and marker in the sand are awesome. the rest are very mediocre.

it's funny how everyone thinks pearl jam was the poppy grunge band.. when clearly, it's the one that showed more progressioin from album to album (yes, the last one is an exception). Listen to 10 and then listen to Binaural.... that's real progression.

the last record was not utter crap. it was half utter crap/half amazing

Yeah, I probably should have given it a decent listen. I guess I got fed up with their inconsistency on their last couple of CDs. I don't understand why they felt the need to constantly load their albums with stinkers when they had probably the best unreleased B-sides album by any band (Lost Dogs).

Yes maybe so . . . .Would? possibly ver much about drug addiction/heroin usage, but phrases such as "Know me broken by my master . . . teach thee onl child love hereafter" are way more Opethian than most of AIC's other songs . . . . .If Would? is indeed about heroin addiction/usage it is more metaphorical/beats around the bush whereas songs like

JUNKHEAD (what's my drug of choice, well what have you got . . . .etc)
GODSMACK (What in god's name have you done? stick your arm for some real fun. . . .so yur sickness weighs a ton and gods name is SMACK (which is HEROIN) FOR SOME
GRIND (Let the sun never blind your eyes
Let me sleep so my teeth won't grind
Hear a sound from a voice inside" <- - - -which is totally a song about SPEED anyone who's been exposed to speed or knows of a friend whose done it would know what the whole teeth won't grind thing is about

and lets face it while songs like that ROCK FUKN ASS!!!! Mikael Akerfeldt can't relate to the lyrical content the way Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley did

now those are just examples the whole DIRT and Self titled albums scream of drug addiction in most songs . . . .Would? does NOT SCREAM addiction wouldn't you agree with that?

i see your point

definetly "am i inside" off of SAP, can't believe anyone's mentioned that yet...or i missed it.
i would love hearing am i inside, so fucking dark.
how about a death metal version of "we die young"..oh yeah, and GRAVE covered "them bones", t'was pretty sweet.
other songs, of course nutshell, we all agree on that one, rain when i die, but i don't think mike has the range for the chorus.
also, angry chair would blow me away...i'd just like to see the spin opeth would put on the songs, no matter how hard it is to top layne and jerry (which in my opinion, is not fucking possible, period.)

oh and definetly "over now" fo' sho'

I'd like to see what they could do with Rooster, quite honestly. If Per has a higher vocal range than Mike, his vocals and the keys could be deadly.

"Down in a hole", "Rain when I die", "Them bones" and of course "Would?".

All of which I am in love with.

YAY dirt.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7072935 said:
There were other candidates, I mean, they have so many fantastic songs! My/our favourite album is "Dirt" so we focused mainly on that. We talked about "Down in a hole", "Rain when I die", "Them bones" and of course "Would?".

Also "I can't remember" off the first album was a possibility. And all songs off the "Sap" ep.

Difficult, but "Would?" is just an incredible song and it hasn't really aged at all since I first heard it.

With that said, although our version is OK, it's maybe too similar to the original only worse, haha!

Cheers
Mike

"Dirt" is my fav album too...but what about of "Love hate love" or "Grind" and "Junkhead" and "Dirt"??:OMG:

I would absolutely die of happiness if they got jerry in to do backup vocals.

Holy shit! Imagine that... I doubted that Mikael could do Layne's vocals, but then I heard their Bridge of Sighs cover. Mikael is probably the only guy that can pull off Layne's singing!

Imagine Opeth & Jerry playing Bleed the Freak :OMG: