Alive Or just Breathing vs the Blackening??

Which is the better album?

• Alive Or Just Breathing

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • The Blackening

Votes: 29 34.5%

• Total voters
AOJB really is KSE's "Burn My Eyes"... genre-defining as BME was for neo-thrash.

Other than that I can't spot much in this fading decade, too. I'd definitely call out on Opeth and Katatonia for influencing many bands, then there is Dillinger Escape Plan who had a big influence on the whole mathcore business. Modern day Meshuggah has laid the blue print for nowadays djent... Maybe throwing Amon Amarth's "Versus The World" in here to.

And though I hate em like AIDS, COB spawned some sound-alikes that are even worse (if that's possible) like Norther n shit. Nightwish's success also had a gigaton of opera chick metal bands at its tail.... and so on.

Edit: And In Flames went on in this decade to show people that fading quality could easily be replaced with more pyros....

Add in Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malsteen, Metallica, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Korn, Rammstein and Slipknot, and we have pretty much everything covered thruout the timeline to what mostly influenced and became the modern metal as it is now.

I'm a douchebag, but neither of those albums are classic metal records. Defining metalcore moment maybe for the kse record, but the machine head one was just a good album (imo they peaked with the shotgun blast!...burn my eyes was awesome too)

I'd say your Claymans and now This Godless Endeavours are way more 'metal' defining, but we gotta wait and see if thats the case. Throw Predators Portrait in there too, Soilwork pretty much started it all for metalcore imo. Plenty of great hardcore influence earlier on, lead hc bands to adopt their later style into where they were headed also. Net result, screamo-blastbeat-breakdown-not-metal :lol:

s'all opinion though, so theres a trillion answers to it all.

On another note, what albums that have been released in the last ten years would you say fall in the bracket of "classic/landmark" metal albums?

These came into mind:

Meshuggah - Chaosphere (1999)
Opeth - Black Water Park (2000)
Rammstein - Mutter (2001)
Tool - Lateralus (2001)
In Flames - Reroute to Remain (2002)
Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (2002)
Slipknot - Vol 3 (2003)
Chimaira - Impossibility of Reason (2003)
Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll (2003)
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (2003)
Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache (2004)
God Forbid - Gone Forever (2004)
Fear Factory - Archetype (2004)
Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)
Diablo - Eternium (2004, except only impacted the Finnish metalscene)
Nightwish - Once (2004)
Strapping Young Lad - Alien (2005)
Roadrunner United - The All-Star Session (2005)
Soulfly - Dark Ages (2005)
All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals (2006)
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (2007)
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omnicient (2007)

I'm gonna have to vote for Alive Or Just Breathing because Jesse is in my band and would get pissed if I chose Machine Head haha jk... No but that album was a standout for many people and I honestly don't think you can put it in context with Machine Head's "The Blackening"... Maybe "Burn My Eyes" would be better represented but it was 10 or so years earlier... For the time period its tough to top Alive or Just Breathing...

Yeah of course, but Slaughter of the Soul came out in '95.

I'd want to throw in the Haunted's debut or sophomore effort in there, but I think 'classic' is a term easily thrown around...

These came into mind:

Meshuggah - Chaosphere (1999)
Rammstein - Mutter (2001)
Tool - Lateralus (2001)
In Flames - Reroute to Remain (2002)
Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (2002)
Slipknot - Vol 3 (2003)
Chimaira - Impossibility of Reason (2003)
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (2003)
God Forbid - Gone Forever (2004)
Fear Factory - Archetype (2004)
Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)
Diablo - Eternium (2004, except only impacted the Finnish metalscene)
Nightwish - Once (2004)
Strapping Young Lad - Alien (2005)
Soulfly - Dark Ages (2005)
All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals (2006)
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (2007)
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omnicient (2007)

They're all good albums, but I wouldn't say too many of them are albums where I'd definitely recommend them to everyone I meet. Out of them I have:-

Slipknot - Vol 3 (2003)

And I like all those albums, I just think there isn't many genre defining albums from 1999 onwards, not to the same degree as Number Of The Beast, Master Of Puppets, Reign In Blood, Scream Bloody Gore, Images And Words, etc. But again this is personal opinion, as every album means something different to everybody (I know I'm stating the obvious here, and if anyone feels like breaking out the caption obvious pics, then bite me :p). And so IMO it takes a pretty big following and a pretty big statement made, to truly be classed as a Classic or Landmark album. But hey, what do I know? :lol:

AOJB is like the only album I can think of in the past 10 years that actually CHANGED the heavier side of metal music a bit
Really? Caluclating Infinity doesn't make that list? Chaosphere? Any of the first 4 soilwork records? How about Alaska? None of the last 7 opeth records either? Isis?

I know I'm just listing bands/records but all of those have been pretty damn influential.

Anyway, IMHO neither of those records are "classics," but I do agree the AoJB was far more influential.

Really? Caluclating Infinity doesn't make that list? Chaosphere? Any of the first 4 soilwork records? How about Alaska? None of the last 7 opeth records either? Isis?

I know I'm just listing bands/records but all of those have been pretty damn influential.

Anyway, IMHO neither of those records are "classics," but I do agree the AoJB was far more influential.

None of those have really spawned a throng of ripoff bands that were signed like AOJB did.
Think of all those metalcore bands. They were like a fucking plague.

My comment was based off of the "ripoff" factor.

Of the albums you listed yeah, I'd reckon Chaosphere is a good one, the rest are good, but I don't think they have the "factor."

Besides I didn't really dive deep into my itunes list, that was just right off my dome.

I dunno, I tend to think "Calculating Infinity" launched that whole wave of spastic noisy hooha (like Norma Jean and such, though they're a bit rawer I guess, but still similar IMO)

I don't know why I even get involved in these threads haha.

It doesn't really matter to me anyway. I know I like a bunch of albums, and they have some sort of meaning to me; obviously the reason that I like them.

Whether it was "influential" or not I really don't care, because everyone here has their own view and it's just like a jesus, or guns thread. No one is going to change their mind, and that's not really even the point; however we just end up talking in circles for like 8 pages or so hahah.