Vs. threads..yes or no? [the majority voted no]

Should Vs. threads be allowed here?

• Yes, I can just skip them if I don't want to read them.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • No, get rid of them, they're clutter/annoying/stupid.

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax

Forum Goddess
Feb 11, 2002
San Jose, CA
I know of a few music forums that have done away with Vs. threads, & in light of the complaints about them in more than one thread here, this is your chance to decide about them here.

So cast your vote..yes or no..should <so and so> vs. <so and so> threads continue to be allowed here? Or are they just unproductive forum pollution?

This thread will stay open until the end of the week.

I think discretion is required. Although I can't name a single one, I'm sure there is a possibility that a valid and interesting "vs. thread" might exist.

In general though I think they should be deleted, since most of them are started by ignorant morons who read neither the forum rules, nor the posts in reply to their silly topics which address their points in full multiple times. Hell yes I'm bitter.

There should be another choice that says "I don't care, as long as it's not a Romeo vs. Petrucci thread."

I chose I don't care.

Jax, awesome Idea also. I'm sure we'll all be forever greatful for your deed.

A versus thread about versus threads (having them vs. not), oh the irony.

I think I've made my opinion clear on many occasions. Ordinarily I really wouldn't care, it's just that they always turn into flame wars, and participants just state their opinions; discussion is never furthered in those types of threads. It's always like "I like (x)." "omg no way (y) is better u sux!" What a waste of bandwidth.

Some of the VS threads are cool, and very well constructed/critical... I think we should be aloud to have them, but they should be monitored more...However doing that would mean more work for JAX which is not needed... For example the BG vs IE vs DW thread was about who you prefer/enjoy more-not who is better and who sucks the dick! Some people on the forums do take it to far and start fueds that shouldn't start!

Sorry for the double post, but on the above note...it would probaby just be easier to ban Wchuck who has started every single 'stupid' VS thread thus far... and if mine was a disturbance in the force than I should be banned as well! But seriously, how many VS threads can you make that are so insulting to other musicians, most of the people on the forums are very critical and its nice to see, but others are like "Pft romeo sucks petrucci all the way" "Dream Theater blows and is no where near creative as Symphony X" Its those kinda sayings that piss everyone off..oh and of course "Lepond is worse than Miller..." Why even say such stupid things...

Opinion threads are OK, but Vs threads are really lame. Like, take the "which symx longtrack is the best" or what MJR solo rules the most". Those threads are OK, but Miller vs Lepond vs Myung or the infamous Romeo vs Petrucci are unnacceptable.

MrFast said:
Opinion threads are OK, but Vs threads are really lame. Like, take the "which symx longtrack is the best" or what MJR solo rules the most". Those threads are OK, but Miller vs Lepond vs Myung or the infamous Romeo vs Petrucci are unnacceptable.

Indeed...

I think that person vs. person could probably be eliminated, but song vs. song should be fine. Or even polls asking for your favorite band. But I do agree that the contant barage of person vs. person threads can get tiresome. I think I'll commit ritual suicide if I ever see another "romeeeeeo vss. petuci!!!!??!" thread.

Now, the logical argument would be just ignore it, leave people to their stupidity, but seriously, every time I see one (and it's always one that's been done a zillion times already) I groan and wish the person who started it would die.

Banish them.

I think we should all just talk about how cool I am.:D

But seriously. People need to realize that vs. threads just plain suck, and even newbies should recognize the fact that vs. subjects are overdone, played out, and just an overall annoyance.

VS. Threads are useless, when you see one, you pick your favorite and start to flame the competitor. "Who do you like the best" threads are a bit better.

I think the ultimate versus is Alien Vs. Predator. And even the answer to that one couldn't be more obvious (Alien, of course).

I voted "Don't care", there are a whole bunch of boring and uninteresting threads already, and no one seems to complain about them either.

While we are at it, I don't care also for threads/posts made by people with too much free time on their hands, who happen to type every single thought on their minds 24-7. But that's just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.