Vs. threads..yes or no? [the majority voted no]

Should Vs. threads be allowed here?

• Yes, I can just skip them if I don't want to read them.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • No, get rid of them, they're clutter/annoying/stupid.

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
L. Knight said:
While we are at it, I don't care also for threads/posts made by people with too much free time on their hands, who happen to type every single thought on their minds 24-7. But that's just me...
Yeah. This sort of comes under what RequiemX said earlier about lack of subjects to discuss, but it is still annoying to find pointless topics and meaningless responses to threads that were made because the poster had nothing better to do.

They need to stay very, VERY civil if they're going to be there...sometimes they can be interesting, but there's definitely a risk that goes with them of stuff blowing out of proportion. DT v. SymX in particular definitely needs to be banned due to immaturity.

One can ignore them if that person really hate them so much...
Most people just hate them as a matter of principle, IMO.

Great General Winfield Scott! I'm a little surprised at the number of people willing to ban an entire type of subject. I understand the difficulties that come along with 'versus' threads, and I understand that it does mean more work for the moderator, but I think that just comes along with the job.

Is this forum really so puerile and uncivil as to need certain toys removed from the sandbox so that the kids play nice? I don't think so. I've seen worse forums. I think we can handle a few delinquents without parental guidance.

I say don't ban the threads.

After rereading some of the posts on this thread, I get the feeling that some people are confusing Vs. threads with Polls. It's just a hunch.

I personally hate them, but I'm all about freedom of... posting? It's not hurting anyone, and they can be skipped over.
There should be another choice that says "I don't care, as long as it's not a Romeo vs. Petrucci thread."
I am, however, in agreement with this! :)

Oh. Even though it's pointless, you should sticky it, just so you can prove the point that you can kick Mothra's ass, becuase I definitely think you could do it.

Vs. threads would be fine if they meant an open minded discussion comparing the techniques and styles of two or more musicians or bands, but yeah, how often does that happen?

Valgeir said:
Vs. threads would be fine if they meant an open minded discussion comparing the techniques and styles of two or more musicians or bands, but yeah, how often does that happen?

Or if people treated it as "who's your favorite"--which is opinion, instead of acting like they can prove once and for all who is actually better than who. Unless you go on strictly technical criteria, and you do that dispassionately without any emotional involvement, proving who's the best is impossible. Way too many subjective things enter into it. Example: I enjoy James LaBrie's singing a lot...it also happens that my voice works well with his when I sing along, which makes it more fun for me to listen to a DT album than it might be otherwise. TOTALLY subjective there--doesn't make LaBrie "better" or "worse". But a lot of people cannot keep that separate from technical merit (which I'm not qualified to argue on anyway).

Okay, the majority has spoken, & Vs. threads are now a no-no here; the rules will be updated today to reflect this. Thank you for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.