Forum Rules Thread

theodyssey

Best Album of the Year
Dec 13, 2002
Olympia, WA
Visit site
Can someone (i assume one of the moderators has to do this) post something that is always marked "important" that stays at the top of the page stating some basic rules for the forum??? I know many of us are getting sick of seeing the threads that show disrespect to the band or other related bands... examples:

"Where can i find *xxxxxxx* MP3????"
"Why is Symphony X on tour with *xxxxxxxxx* band??"

also, something about searching the forum before posting a new thread. compared to other forums on ultimatemetal.com, this one is relatively small still and is easy to search through the last 30 days to see if there is another thread asking your question. Sorry to complain so much, but i am sick of seeing 3 or 4 threads saying the same thing ("symx should be the headliner... strato sucks"). Finally, if you want to respond to a thread, RESPOND TO IT!!!! people will read it. There is no need to start a whole new thread with the same subject just to bring attention to yourself. I like coming here to find out news, chat about beef, etc. etc., but i am sick of people polluting the forum with stuff about why they shouldn't be on tour with strato (even though strato gives them many opportunities they might not otherwise have) or where to get mp3's (if you are going to download them, don't blatantly disrespect them by telling everyone). Thanks a lot... sorry for bitching so much.

Zach

I've tried not to get rule-happy here, but it seems some guidelines are needed, if they are being requested..so here goes.

Okay how's this:

**Rules**

**Out of respect for Mike Romeo's dislike for bootlegs, discussions of SymX bootlegs won't be permitted here.

**Also out of respect for the band, no threads involving downloading mp3s (rather than buying the cd), or pre-release downloads will be allowed. Remember, this is like the bands home on the internet; you are expected to show them some respect in their home.

**If Symphony X is on tour as an opening band, rest assured that they are doing so because they feel it will benefit them. Whether it's to bring them to larger venues than those where they might headline, to more venues than they might be able to tour on their own, or to bring their music to an audience that might not have the chance to hear them otherwise..at any rate, seeing them play an opening slot should be preferable to no SymX show at all.

**Please check the other threads on the forum (at least those on the first page) for topics before starting a new thread, as there's a chance the topic you have in mind is already being discussed. Please don't start a new thread on a topic just to bring attention to yourself; such duplicate threads will be deleted rather than allowing them to multiply & clutter the board.

**Bottom line: in posting here, show respect for the band, and for your fellow board members, & it's all good.

Anything I need to add before I make this sticky?

Sounds good. I just want to make it clear that the reason i requested this is NOT to censor anyone. If you don't like strato, fine. But i just think a lot of people are getting tired of the stuff that is going on. I don't think there should be a lot of rules, but since more people are visiting and the respect level for the band as well as the common sense level seems to be dilluted, i think guidelines are in order. That's just a personal oppinion... it's not like the guidelines will effect 99% of what is going on now anyway (which is good!!) but will hopefully get rid of the annoyances.

Alright..thread will be stickied then, and I'm going to leave it as is so people who want to bitch can see that a set of rules was not put into place until requested.

jimbobhickville said:
is this really a problem? I'm kind of an irregular here, so I guess I don't notice it as much, but none of these things seem offensive at all. Maybe it's just me, but if people wanna bitch about a great band opening for a crappy one, I say let 'em. Just my $0.02

:loco: Ah!! a fellow neverhead, yup.. :D

Or, as been said before by our moderator:
"when everybody just ignores a double post, or anything you dislike...
the thread will bleed to death"...

BUT..some people simply can't resist "pushing the button" once again..and crap will fill this little space we have. :erk:
And in my opinion? It does not only work this way in a forum,
it's just a way of communication, if you ask me.
If you have anything to say? Indeed, just do some re-search, reply and fill eachother in. Don't start shouting in the "wild-wide-west" ;) what has been said before..because nobody will listen to you there.
"The sheep are made to follow, choke back the puke and swallow" W.D.
If you got something new to say?
Open a thread or your mind and hope that somebody is listening to what you have to say, could be quite a ride!!
But hey, who am I?

xXx
Iris