All attending Boston Gigantour: Sign in here.

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
I'd like to see who of us here is going on Friday night.

But most importantly, we need to rally the troops for Opeth. Our rallying call: "GODHEAD'S LAMENT OR BUST"

I want all attending fans here, once they finish playing GoP, to start chanting "Godhead's Lament" at the top of your lungs. I've seen that this song has been cut from the set as the tour moves eastward, and we want it back.

We must send a message to the band that we want our song, they've practiced it, and they better play it if they want us to be happy.

Once again the rallying call...

GODHEAD'S LAMENT OR BUST!

Guys (n gals)...

Please don't set yourself up for dissapointment. San Diego got only 3 songs (as Opeth was basically punished for going "Over time") and they had to cut "G L" from their set. It is/was not their choice. I certainly don't want a "post-show" post from any of you guys saying, "Opeth doesn't appreciate their fans... We were chanting and they just played their stupid 4 song set... blah blah blah"... they would be playing a 1 1/2 hour headlining set every night if it was up to them. Just go to the show, get there early so you don't miss them, enjoy checking out the other bands, have a couple of cold ones, scream your lungs out so the band knows you appreciate their efforts and just have a great time, and come back here and post a review. Is that too much to ask?

Mr Samsara said:
Guys (n gals)...

Please don't set yourself up for dissapointment. San Diego got only 3 songs (as Opeth was basically punished for going "Over time") and they had to cut "G L" from their set. It is/was not their choice. I certainly don't want a "post-show" post from any of you guys saying, "Opeth doesn't appreciate their fans... We were chanting and they just played their stupid 4 song set... blah blah blah"... they would be playing a 1 1/2 hour headlining set every night if it was up to them. Just go to the show, get there early so you don't miss them, enjoy checking out the other bands, have a couple of cold ones, scream your lungs out so the band knows you appreciate their efforts and just have a great time, and come back here and post a review. Is that too much to ask?

Mr. Grand...... Sure wish you could have seen them in Detroit. They just killed. I screamed my lungs out with my friends, had more than a few cold ones, and can't wait til they come back.

By the way. You are a very fair man.

Mr Samsara said:
Guys (n gals)...

I understand 100% and I'm expecting a great show no matter what. But I'm still gonna shout for GL once GoP's finished playing. You never know.

Only 5 bands playing tonight so maybe you guys will get a longer set.

They only played 4 songs in Montreal on Wednesday. Overkill was really good & they'll be opening tonight so check them out if you like "old school" thrash.

Wish I could be there with ya's

We got the 4 song setlist:

Ghost of Perdition
Leper Affinity
Windowpane
Deliverance

I can't believe I heard some retards behind me say... "what the hell is this boring crap... are they from Britain or something?" Overall it was a good show, despite the freezing temperatures. I'm not a big follower of Lamb of God, so me & friends hung outside and drank during their set.

I got there at 2:30 and waited with under 15 people outside. By the time the dorrs opened at 4:30 the crowd was larger (100 or so) but still a lot smaller than I had expected. I was in - got my GA wristband - and headed immediately to the first row, center area of the pit. I have been attending concerts for 17 years, and I have never been this close to the stage. It was pretty sweet.

Overkill hit the stage right at 5. They played a blistering set. I knew most of the songs (Rotten to the Core, Hello From the Gutter, Elimination, Fuck You, and others) and I was banging with the others around me. The place was empty during this set - there was no one behind me. I could have left to get something and come back to my same spot. Wierd. I caught a pick from the bass player D.D.

Arch Enemy put on a great show. I only know one of their songs, Nemesis, which they opened with. The sounds that that little singer can make are pretty brutal. I was impressed and happy again to be in the front. The place had filled up a little but was still mostly empty.

Then Opeth came on. In order to honor Mr. Samsara's request, I'm not going to complain about the 4-song set. I'm not going to complain that the songs souded like they were chosen by a RoadRunner rep rather than the band. I'm not going to complain that with all of Mikael's talking, they missed the opportunity to play a fifth song.

But, I am going to complain about their interaction with the crowd. The other bands took lots of time to say thanks, throw some picks, slap some hands, and basically show their appreciation. Opeth finished Deliverance, said thanks, and quickly walked off stage. They were the only band not doing signings, and in general seemed putoff being there. None of these things effected me personally, but it just felt to me like they could have put more effort into it. I really enjoyed their set, but I'll be looking forward to the next headlining tour.

At this point, I decided to leave my place on the fence and get some highly overpriced dinner. I bought an Opeth tshirt, and mingled with the dregs of New England for awhile. Then LOG came on. The place went apeshit. The pit, which had been maybe 1/3 full during Opeth's set was now packed to the brim with hundreds of maniacs crowdsurfing, moshing and generally going nuts. People everywhere were dancing and headbanging in the aisles.

But here's the thing. I don't get their music. At all. I tried really hard to find something in their performance that I enjoyed, but I just couldn't. They fall into the category of bands that I label as "screaming for the sake of screaming". I couldn't tell the difference between any of the songs. I rolled my eyes everytime the singer growled at us and called us fuckers. But, they seemd to be popular with the kids, so what the hell do I know?

After they finished, I made my way back to the pit in anticipation of Megadeth. The place was still only 50 - 60% full with most of the back seats completely empty. The pit was crowded, and I was only able to get to about the 4th row. Megadeth hit the stage and put on a great show. Their setlist was fantastic, covering songs from their latest album all the way back to the early days. They even played the first 2/3 of The Mechanix in their encore.

The pit was rowdy during Megadeth. Lots of crowdsurfers, so I spent most of my time watching for flying limbs (why is it that heavy guys wearing size 12 boots want to crowdsurf)? I found a cellphone that had obviously suffered the harmful effects of being trampled by 100 people. Security came several times to take certain people away. But I was able to enjoy most of the show.

Dave seemed really, something. Not stoned, or tired, or drunk, but something. His eyes seemed really red and he did a lot of just staring at us in between songs. They played a blistering set and showed their appreciation at the end, though, so I'm not going to worry too much about his well-being.
The last time I saw Megadeth was 17 years ago, and even though the classic lineup is gone, the new guys can still belt it out pretty well.

Overall, for a $30 ticket, a $35 tshirt, a $10 dinner, a $12 parking fee, $4 in tolls, and about $15 in gas, I had a pretty good night.

After that performance, I didn't mind the shorter set. It was Nirvana all the way through.

Here's my review I gave to the GMD for my experience last night:

OVERKILL: We showed up just as they started their set. They sounded good, kind of like a cross between Metallica and Iron Maiden. I wasn't a fan and their songs sounded the same to me, but I respect them.

ARCH ENEMY: I got to the front row of the moshing area for this one. Angela was less than ten feet in front of me most of the set, while the Amott's flashed their amazing guitar skills. They played a 40-minute sets with songs from their past three albums, including "Nemesis", "Dead Eyes See No Future" and "Ravenous". They left out a couple of songs I would have killed to see live but I was satisfied with their stellar performance.

OPETH: I stayed in front to get up close to Mikael and Mendez, who got down to business with "Ghost of Perdition", which rocked to high hell. Mikael then did some jokes with the crowd and even played a Scorpions riff at request of a fan. Then came the crusher "The Leper Affinity" which got the mosh going in a frenzy. Despite being in front, I had to employ some of my wrestling moves to fend off the rabid moshers. Next, they played one of their mellow songs off of Damnation album, to which the smell of marijuana permeated the crowd. After that they finished the set with the killer song "Deliverance" to which the moshing got really violent. After the band left the stage Mikael came back to wave to us wearing a Red Sox sweatshirt.

LAMB OF GOD: I'm not a fan of this band. Rather boring, but I had tons of fun engaging in their infamous mosh-circles-of-death. Early into the set, a surge of fans, who didn't pay for mosh admittance, breached the barricade and cascaded into the moshing area and all hell broke loose. They played over an hour of body-bashing and crowd-surfing. My back was killing me from pushing everybody around.

MEGADETH: Before the set they unrolled the backdrop featuring what appears to be the artwork for their next album, which looked awesome. I figured most people would be worn out from the LoG moshing so I got ready to watch these thrash legends take the stage. Just as they did, a huge blast ripped through my ear-drums as I saw four mushroom fireballs rise behind the front stage. I stayed until the third song when one of the girls I went with got elbowed in the eye-brow in the mosh and needed stitches at the hospital. I didn't mind leaving or staying to see Megadeth's pending 2-hour set, but I was exhausted and opted to join the rest of my crew as we went to the hospital to make sure she was alright, after which we went home.

A great concert for fans of all ages, featuring bands who put the guitar at the top of their priorities, as I may paraphrase Mustaine.

wwallinga said:
I can't believe other cities got Godhead's Lament. I'm so jealous. :mad:

Yes, especially when the Boston show didn't have the three lesser bands going first, they could've give Opeth and Arch Enemy longer sets.

I REALLY wanted GodHead's Lament - they had so much extra time too. All the bands were flying and I think 'Peth went on at about 6:30. It COULD have been worked in.

Anyway, I wasn't nearly as close as you guys. I really wanted to be in the pit area thogh :mad:

I was pleased to see that there were an awful lot of Opeth fans - it was nice to hear that chant after their set.

Sigh, it's such a shame that LoG was priviledged enough to have Opeth as a supporting band....:Smug: