All Dark tranquillity cd opinions questions

very interesting to hear the comments. I am going thru like a college student on exam weeks listening to all the cds as i try to make a 1 or 2 cd 80 minute compilation as I mentioned in my other post I created.

I appreciate everyone expressing their opinions.:worship:

Skydancer: 8, Great For a Debut, But would rather prefer Stanne On Vocals.
The Gallery: 9.5, Who says Sophmore releases can't outdo the first? Simply Fucking Amazing
The Mind's I: 10, My favorite album of thiers, has everything you could wish for. Masters of Melodic Death.
Projector: 9, Brilliant! Not a setback like some people say. A great experimental album with some wonderful clean vocals from Stanne, very beautiful to say the least.
Haven: 7.5, I don't know, I love the first few tracks, then i Just get lost. Maybe I just need to listen to it more.
Damage Done: 9, Great comeback from Haven, but still lacking something.
Character: 10, Best since Mind's I imo. Sounds like a trip back and I can't argue. They really out did themselves on this album.

I hate seeing whats happening to the Swedish Melodic Death scene. In flames and Soilwork have wussed out their sound.. At The Gates broke up. There's just no one there to help out. But Dark Tranquillity will be there holding the flag. The True kings of Melodic Death, no compromise or rip offs, these fellows just churn out the best music they can, and keep it fresh on every album. Sad to see them opening up for Soilwork on this upcoming North American tour. Tell me something, if it wasn't for Dark Tranquillity, would there even be a Soilwork? Exactly. See ya on tour!

Skydancer: 7/10
Out of all their albums, I'm least familiar with this one. I own it, but I haven't spent nearly as much time with this one as I have all the others.

The Gallery: 8/10
I like this album a lot, but there are are a few songs that I just skip over. But the ones I do listen to are incredible, especially "...of melancholy burning."

The Mind's I: 9.5/10
After the first time I heard "Hedon," I knew this album would be a masterpiece. I just love the perfect mixture of the heavy and soft parts on this album. My personal favorite.

Projector: 9/10
There have been times when I thought this was my favorite DT album, but I don't listen to this one nearly as much as I used to. But when I do listen, it's still as great as ever.

Haven: 8/10
Another album of theirs that has been my favorite at some point. But as of right now, it's definitely not at the top. Still a great listen, though. This album definitely has a completely different feel to it.

Damage Done: 8/10
This album used to be my 2nd favorite, just behind The Mind's I, but now I have trouble listening to it. It just seems very boring ever since Character came out. I'm sure once the "newness" of Character wears off, I'll start listening to Damage Done again.

Character: 9/10
After one or two spins through, I was a little disappointed. For some reason, I thought it sounded too much like Damage Done. But now after having the album for a couple months, I know it's nothing like Damage Done. There aren't any songs on this album that I skip over other than maybe "Lost to Apathy" on occasion. My only complaint would be that there isn't really a mixture of heavy and soft parts that were used so well on earlier albums. I guess that's why my favorite track is "My Negation."

Skydancer - 8
- it's a debut and somehow it lacks something. I mean, great songs, great feeling and emotional background I always feel when listening to DT, but somehow it just doesn't make the cut

The Gallery - 10
- I couldn't believe my ears when heard this one.. one of my fav songs is on it aka The emptiness from which I fed. I just love the whole album..especially the guitars!

The Mind's I - 10
- Ah, man.. such a perfect album! So deep and full of emotions..love it

Projector - 9
- I wasn't so happy when I first got this cd, but then I realized that it's so awesome.. Inovations with electronics and Mikael singing clean vocals just kicked ass :) I know I mention emotions a lot when describing DT cd's, but I can't escape it.. so I can only say that it was so easy to fall in love with this album after hearing Mikael's clean vocals, those just got under my skin..

Haven - 10
- no way I can think of a praise good enough to stand under this name.. perfection! As someone earlier mentioned - can something that has EMPTIER STILL be bad?! Don't think so.. emotional as hell, at least from where I'm standing :)

Damage done - 9.9
- had to put it down a bit, so I gave it 9.9 :) Great album, of course... again another sign of where DT's music was going and I liked the path :)

Character - 10
- ABSOLUTELY!! I can't stop listening to it! It just got me from the first listening! PERFECTION! Shows how DT have matured and how they know to use their instruments. Guitars parts are soooo beautiful! And the way the electronics go along with them (the guitars) is amazing! Huvudet på spiken *wink*
LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!

tattooedsean666 said:
what would be your favorite 3 songs from each of their cds?

skydancer:
1. shadow duet
2. a bolt of blazing gold
3. my faeryland forgotten

the gallery:
1. lethe
2. the emptiness from which i fed
3. edenspring

the mind's i:
1. still moving sinews
2. tidal tantrum
3. tongues

projector:
1. on your time
2. auctioned
3. the sun fired blanks

haven:
1. at loss for words
2. feast of burden
3. the wonders at your feet

damage done:
1. white noise / black silence
2. cathode ray sunshine
3. the treason wall

character:
1. dry run
2. through smudged lenses
3. my negation

The Gallery:
1. The Gallery
2. Mine is the Grandeur/Of Melancholy Burning
3. Lethe

The Mind's I
1. The Mind's Eye
2. Insanity's Crescendo
3. Scythe, Rage and Roses

Projector:
1. There In
2. Auctioned
3. Day to End

Haven:
1. Emptier Still
2. The Wonders at Your Feet
3. Indifferent Suns

Damage Done:
1. The Treason Wall
2. Ex Nihilo
3. The Enemy

Character:
1. Lost To Apathy
2. My Negation
3. Am I 1?

oke I admit I like the acoustic and slower stuff very much :)

Skydancer:
1. Nightfall By The Shore Of Time
2. Shadow Duet
3. A Bolt Of Blazing Gold

The Gallery:
1. Punsih My Heaven
2. Edenspring
3. The Emptiness From Which I Fed

The Mind's I
1. Zodijackyl Light
2. Scythe, Rage And Roses
3. Atom Heart 243.5

Projector:
1. Freecard
2. On Your Time
3. To A Bitter Halt

Haven:
1. Haven
2. Fabric
3. Indifferent Suns

Damage Done:
1. Final Resistance
2. Damage Done
3. The Enemy

Character:
1. Lost To Apathy
2. The New Build
3. Am I 1?

Usually I tend to like better their faster songs... they're sooooooo fucking good at full speed!

skydancer - 7. bores me a little.

the gallery - 8 1/2. excellent progressive death/black metal.

the mind's I - 9. i love this album, the feeling is instinctive.

projector - 9 1/2. masterful dreamy darkness.

haven - 7 1/2. some great songs like "indifferent suns" and "the same", but lacks the atmosphere of previous albums.

damage done - 9. amazing.

character - 9 1/2. this album is incredible, it demonstrates musical ability i thought beyond this band. it's nice to be corrected!

Skydancer:
1. Skywards
2. Crimson Winds
3. Through Ebony Archways

The Gallery:
1. Punsih My Heaven
2. Edenspring
3. Midway through Infinity(fuckin' underateeeeeed)

The Mind's I
1. Zodijackyl Light
2. Insanity's Crescendo
3. Still Moving Sinews

Projector:
1. On your Time
2. The Sun Fired Blanks
3. There In(or Freecard)

Haven:
1. Haven
2. The Wonders at your feet
3. At loss for Words

Damage Done:
1. Cathode Ray Sunshine
2. Final Resistance
3. The Treason Wall

Character:
1. The New Build
2. Lost to Apathy
3. The Endless Feed

I only have two of their albums (I discovered DT a few months ago). Both are masterpieces.

The Gallery
8/10
great great great. It came just after Opeth's Blackwater Park (which is my all-time favourite album, ora at least one of my favourites) yet it managed to catch me. There are few tracks that I don't really appreciate as a prog-metal fan (like The Gallery - i mean the title track -, or Silence...). Still, it's a great album. This would be my top3:
1. ...of Melancholy Burning: possibly my overall favourite DT song. It's HUGE.
2. Lethe: let's call it my first love, in this album.
3. Midway through Infinity: incredible riffing.

Character
8,5/10
Bought it t2-3 weeks ago or so. Amazing - I can't say it worths a 9 because songs like Out of Nothing, Mind Matters and Senses Tied are not properly masterpieces, though they're great songs, but still I love this album. Mostly because of those three masterpieces:
1. Am I 1? : I LOVE this song.
2. Lost to Apathy: the song that made me love DT. I've been listening to it for 4 months and I still love it.
3. My Negation: [put here whatever you want]

skydancer- 10. one of my favorite all time cds. there's still nothing quite like it
gallery- 8. some great stuff, but some tracks like definition.
mind's i. 6.
projector. 9.
haven. 7. ok. i liked it more after hearing exposures.
damage done. 10. excellent tone and production= perfect metal, comparable with clayman.
character- 9. pretty good, but contains skippable tracks 3, 6

Well, I haven't listened to Skydancer and The Gallery especially much, so I'll probably change my mind when I get the time to listen to them more.

Skydancer - 5. Not really my type of music.
The Gallery - 9. A fantastic good classic.
The Mind's I - 6. A bit better than The Gallery, but not really good.
Projector - 9,5. Oh, I looooove Mikael Stanne's clean vocals (and the growling to)! The only thing this album lacks is some heavyness.
Haven - 8,5. Really good, but not perfect. I think it's kind of boring sometimes.
Damage Done - 9,5. Almost perfect, It's just that it's kind of repetitive.
Character - 9,9. Damn, this album rules! If they only would done some clean vocals on this record, it would be absolutly perfect.

Edit: Ok, I allready changed my mind, The Gallery rules! :D

SKYDANCER
01. Alone
02. Through Ebony Archways
03. A Bolf of a Blazing Gold

THE GALLERY
01. The Emptiness From Which I Fed
02. Lethe
03. Edenspring

THE MIND'S I
01. Scythe, Rage and Roses
02. Insanity's Crescendo
03. Tidal Tantrum

PROJECTOR
01. Day To End
02. Auctioned
03. ThereIn

HAVEN
01. Emptier Still
02. The Wonders At Your Feet
03. Not Built To Last

DAMAGE DONE
01. The Treason Wall
02. Final Resistance
03. White Noise / Black Silence

CHARACTER
01. Through Smudged Lenses
02. My Negation
03. Am I One

aaaghr, got to add one extra

04. Mind Matters

it is interesting to hear everyone's reasons for the songs they chose and what they thought about the cds. I am taking all into consideration as I try to make a 1 80 minute dt compilation to accomplish 2 things: give me something good to listen to in the car and 2. to make copies for friends I am trying to get into DT.

ok here is my pics/numbers

Skydancer-7 (its still new to me and haven't given it many listens, so bare with me)

The Gallery-9
Punish my Heaven
Lethe
The Dividing Line

The Mind's Eye-9
Still moving sinues (could be my fav track from the band still)
Hedon
insanity's cresendo

Projector-9
Therin
Freecard
on your time

Haven-8
Wonders at your feet
feast of burden

Damage Done-10 (was my fav dt till Character came out)
Final Resistance
Hours passed in exile
White Noise, black silence

Character-10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The endless Feed
Mind Matters
Senses Tied

going thru all the cds as if I was doing a school project as I try to make a compilation, I have come to the conclusion on one cd. I am sooooooooooo glad they went away from the clean vocal style on projector. I thought I was listening to a depeche mode cd at times. :Smug:

That cd would have been a 4/10 for me but I give it 5 just because they got smart enough to go away from the clean vocals.

Hey Caroline! Its nice to see you here! Ive just joined. Yeah, Emptier Still is the shit!!!
So here are my ratings:

Skydancer 9 (the sound could be better)
1.Crimson Winds
2.Shadow Duet
3.Alone (one of the best songs ever made, including lyrics, of course)
and I like the lyrics of Skywards very much

Of Chaos and Eternal Night 10 (such a great ep, I had to include it :) )

The Gallery 10 (no comment)
1.Edenspring
2.The One Brooding Warning ( :worship: )
3.The Emptiness from Which I Fed

The Minds I 8 (it has its ups, but also DOWNS, like Zodijackyl Light)
1.Hedon :headbang:
2.Scythe, Rage and Roses
3.Insanitys Crescendo

Projector 9,5 (-0,5 for that nonsense near the end...)
1.Therein
2.To a Bitter Halt
3.Nether Novas :worship:

Haven 10 (cant find anything wrong, a cool album)
1.Haven
2.Fabric (this is one of the most, if not the one, inventive and creative songs from DT
3.Emptier Still (oh, those were the days..., this song could TALK ;) )

Damage Done 6 (I hear the same song over and over)
1.Single Part of Two
2.The Treason Wall

Character 5 (the same as for DD)
1.The New Build

One more thing, which should not be omitted - Mikael Stanne writes some of the best lyrics there are.