All of these freakin' options...

Jan 10, 2005
So I'm recording this black metal band's full-length for release on Trendkill (FRA) and we started tracking DIs for the guitars yesterday evening. Should be done in a couple of days and then we move on to reamping. For which I have a LOT of stuff lined up...

Bugera 333
Engl FireBall
Mesa Dual Recto (it's a Trem-O-Verb combo which is a little warmer sounding than a regular DR)
Laney GH100 (possibly)

Mesa oversized 4x12 (V30s)
Vader 4x12 (Eminence V12s, I think - still haven't confirmed availability yet)
Marshall 1960a (T75s)
Orange 2x12 (V30s)

Shure SM57
Shure SM7b? (Jeff text me back!)
Sennheiser e609 (even though I hate it...)
Rode NT-2a

Then I also plan on taking DIs of each amp to have the option to run them through impulses. On top of all that I bought ReValver MKIII and I have the Metal Amp Room (powerball sim) demo that is good until Oct 6.

1 track per side brings the total track count to (if I can borrow the Vader cab and SM7b)... 44 tracks to pick and choose from. o_O

There has to be a limit on what can be considered too many options, right?

~006

Christ, that's ridiculous! Naturally you gotta post your favorites so we can decide for you :) And what's an Eminence V30? You mean V12? I'm curious to hear how you think the Vader sounds mic'ed up - I feel like it would sound pretty shitty, since any cab company that prides itself on volume and power handling above all else (not to mention the questionable tone and illegible names of the majority of its endorsees :Smug: ) has me doubting it'd actually sound too good - I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

My bad, I meant that it was the Eminence V12. I dunno man...the guy that I'm borrowing the FireBall from owns the Vader and says it sounds br00talz(he also said it is loud as all hell), he is a tone savvy guy so I am confident that it will be great, but only one way to find out, right?

You guys will definitely have to check all the clips out haha. Maybe 1 min sections of guitar for each clip or something?

~006

Vader's are fucking brutal sounding cabs. Can't remember hearing clips of a vader cab miced up, but in person they just about tear your fucking face off.

your going for an old school black metal sound? or more like new dimmu borgir stuff?
for old school the first three amps sound to thick. go for the laney with the marshall 1960a cab. put a sm57 before, double track. ready to go. the laney should get you a marshall'ish tone. mids, not to much low end.
if you go for a modern more death metal sound: mix 2 tracks fireball with mesa cab and 2 tracks mesa boogie with mesa cab both sm57. or go for 4 tracks bugera.

your going for an old school black metal sound? or more like new dimmu borgir stuff?
for old school the first three amps sound to thick. go for the laney with the marshall 1960a cab. put a sm57 before, double track. ready to go. the laney should get you a marshall'ish tone. mids, not to much low end.
if you go for a modern more death metal sound: mix 2 tracks fireball with mesa cab and 2 tracks mesa boogie with mesa cab both sm57. or go for 4 tracks bugera.

This.

Or boost the laney and scoop it to a sorta old school sound with a modern touch.

Well they told me Akercocke's album Unspoken Words is the reference they would like. I haven't listened to it yet but I got it last night. Also, there is only 1 track per side of guitars, quad-tracking is ghey.

~006