Allmusic.com

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
Since alot of people here listen to music other than metal, like me :), I have tried to find a music site other than metal-archives, which provides information on bands, albums, etc...

Thankfully, there is allmusic

This website covers all range of music including metal. Also there is a massive amount of details on bands, discography, samples and such. Oh yeah, they also have a movie and games archive website. Great stuff!

Well, I have used the site dozens of times in the last week after finding out about it as it is very useful. They really do have a complete database of info on any artist. Also I like how they have similar artists and stuff like that. Btw, Wikipedia is not NEARLY as good or even worthy of mentioning. I mentioned metal archives but they are only a METAL site! This is for EVERY OTHER style of music...

the worst thing you can do is trust a metalheads review of an album. ive never seen such inconsistancy in taste levels and irrational regarding the quality and intake of ones music than a metalheads'. the same guy who will praise emperor and abigor may very well praise a band like amon amarth or insomnium. or a guy who loves morbid angel and deicide, will also love something like behemoth or cannibal corpse. i always recommend hearing the material in clips or whatever first and making your decision from there.

the worst thing you can do is trust a metalheads review of an album. ive never seen such inconsistancy in taste levels and irrational regarding the quality and intake of ones music than a metalheads'. the same guy who will praise emperor and abigor may very well praise a band like amon amarth or insomnium. or a guy who loves morbid angel and deicide, will also love something like behemoth or cannibal corpse. i always recommend hearing the material in clips or whatever first and making your decision from there.

yeah. while metal-archives is great for finding out band info, by NO MEANS should anyone take their "reviews" seriously.

Agreed.. but reading both the 'supporter' and 'opposer' sides of an album gives you quite a few angles to look at it.. almost like getting a pro's and con's list before you try out an album. I usually do give them a read.

Allmusic.com metal reviews though, are the ones I have a problem with.

I usually use allmusic and Rate Your Music (which I also use to catalog my record collection and wishlists and such) while researching other music. RYM is not always the most useful when it comes to reviews (the quality of the average RYM review is probably about the same as the quality of your average Amazon.com review, ie. useless) but the discography tends to be more precise and more correct than they are on allmusic.com since RYM is a peer-reviewed site.

I usually just use the above mentioned sites to figure out which album is the quintessential album by a given artist and then look for that on DC++ to check them out myself. I don't really lend much credence to most reviews.

yeah. while metal-archives is great for finding out band info, by NO MEANS should anyone take their "reviews" seriously.

Yeah, I was reading the reviews for the new Celtic Frost album the other day...
Some guy reviewing the album said up until a couple months ago he'd never heard of Celtic Frost and in his profile he says his favourite genre of metal is metalcore :D

Allmusic is great for quick reference bios and discographies, I've been using it for years.

yes. im unbiased. not a "metalhead"...but enjoy a lot of metal music from time to time. what is your point?

lol this reminds me of a comment NFU once made... 'i'd rather gargle camel cum then admit im a metalhead.' or something along those lines:lol:

i tend to use allmusic but the similar artists thing doesnt really work for me... theres too many bullshit entries. for example, for VAST a similar artist is rammstein:erk: