Already have an SM58.. should I still get a SM57?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello
I already have a SM58 mic (which was given to me as a present AGES ago), so I wanted to ask you people-
Is the 57 different enough from the 58 as to justify it's purchase for mic'ing a guitar cab (an perhaps even for other uses)?

Thanks

removing the ball grill will not make a 58 a 57 though regardless of what anyone may tell you. I say yeah, get one

The difference is more about "science and numbers" than sonic perception. I tried both side by side (SM57 and SM58 without the ball) and the difference was basically the same as comparing one SM57 with another SM57.

The difference is more about "science and numbers" than sonic perception. I tried both side by side (SM57 and SM58 without the ball) and the difference was basically the same as comparing one SM57 with another SM57.

I've had a very different experience...but I would be interested in hearing a true A/B comparison on a guitar cab

If you have to ask you don't know how to use the mics and probably shouldn't waste your money on the 57

I'm sure I'll get one at least to begin with then, thank you all

If you have to ask you don't know how to use the mics and probably shouldn't waste your money on the 57

One doesn't have to be a genious to use a mic :zzz:
I'm getting some tubes soon and so I'll be needing to mic' it properly.

That's why I ask, dude

I would say yes there is benefit in getting a 57 and if your recording guitars 57's are the best mic to start with they are inexpensive and sound awesome.

But 57's aren't just 58's with the grill removed they actually have a slightly different frequency response to a 58. There isn't a massive difference tonally but there is a difference all the same and because of this they work so much better on guitars and snares than a 58.

Check out the frequency response charts below
and you will soon be able to see that these 2 mics have slightly different sounds

rc_img_sm57_large.gif

rc_img_sm58_large.gif

I would say yes there is benefit in getting a 57 and if your recording guitars 57's are the best mic to start with they are inexpensive and sound awesome.

But 57's aren't just 58's with the grill removed they actually have a slightly different frequency response to a 58. There isn't a massive difference tonally but there is a difference all the same and because of this they work so much better on guitars and snares than a 58.

and you will soon be able to see that these 2 mics have slightly different sounds

rc_img_sm57_large.gif

rc_img_sm58_large.gif

But what is making that difference is the ball thing with attached windscreen. As I´ve said, the ball does make a difference, but if you remove it the differences are inexpressive. The mics use the exact same capsule, the only difference is a minor design change on the top (where the SM58 ball attaches).

But, as we all know, SM57 is a great mic to have around. I still have one 58 and two 57.

rc_img_sm57_large.gif

rc_img_sm58_large.gif

Just wanted to point out:

The frequency discrepancies are partially due to the windscreen on the 58, notice the attenuated high-mids and highs (due to extra material over the diaphragm. If they made a chart of the SM57 vs. windscreen-less SM58 it would be REALLY close (but still not identical).

To the OP, the 57 does still have a different windscreen design than the ball-less 58, so it does pay to have both (though the sound will be close).

Definitely 57 over 58. The design of the windscreens will cause different tone no matter what. BUT on either mic just tape the side ports and the polar pattern changes from cardioid to omnidirectional. Hooray for dual purpose