Alternative rock production - all live instruments etc..

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this production I'm wrapping up. These guys are a talented band I went to music school with, they haven't officially launched their band yet but this is only one song from an EP we did back in summer. Drums and bass tracked simultaneously then guitars/vocals overdubbed in mostly whole-song passes.
I'm pretty happy with how the mix came out, drums are all natural, vocals have very minimal tuning and the performances in general are largely unedited.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/790683/Savvana_Lunar_Mix3.mp3

I'd love to hear any comments/questions :)

If there's interest I may be able to share the raw files, with the band's permission of course.

Cheers!

It's so cool to see that actual talent is still going on these days. I'm getting extremely tired of quantizing and replacing every single drum hit, tuning every vocal note etc... And I'm starting to think laziness is corrupting music to the very core. These days bands just want their ideas to become total radio-ready hits before they can even play them in the rehearshal room.

Great mix!

It's so cool to see that actual talent is still going on these days. I'm getting extremely tired of quantizing and replacing every single drum hit, tuning every vocal note etc... And I'm starting to think laziness is corrupting music to the very core. These days bands just want their ideas to become total radio-ready hits before they can even play them in the rehearshal room.

Great mix!

+1 totally agree, not adding a word :worship:

Usaria tu ultima frase como firma ;)

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, the band are talented guys indeed. It was a real nice change of pace to not have to break riffs down into a few notes and go nuts with editing and copy/pasting. It made it far easier to keep the vibe right through the recording process and I feel like I'm far less critical of the end result than I am on the projects I've done that are a lot more "manufactured".

Thanks for sharing, I like this and it's refreshing to know it's been recorded in the way it has, the vibe is excellent on this and i love the drums here. Raw tracks would be brilliant.. and an honour!!

Great production!
The only things I hear mixwise are, that the bass might be a tad peaky in the lower mids right now on the parts where no distortion guitar are.
Also cymbals could be a tiny bit less harsh for me too, they could be a bit smoother and not sticking out so much.

Thanks man :)

Kick in - Audio-Technica ATM25 -> dbx 160VU
Kick out - AKG D12
Kick sub - NS10
End of kick tunnel - Neumann M149
Snare top - Sennheiser 441
Snare top 2 - B&K 4007
Snare bottom - 441
Over kick (pointed between kick and snare) - Charter Oak SA538 -> dbx 160x
Toms - 421s
Hats - SM7b
Ride - B&K 4007
OHs - AKG C414 EB (A-B)
Mono OH (over drummer's shoulder) - AKG C12VR
Mono room - weird cardioid ribbon mic, forget the brand - 1176
Stereo room - U87s (A-B) -> Tube-Tech LCA2B

All inputs were to an SSL E-series. I also printed the snare top through an AMS RMX16 reverb

Sounds great! Love the sound of the drums and the bass is crystal clear. It's refreshing to hear a performance based recording in today's over processed world. There is an energy with this style of recording that I feel is lost with over edited, cut and paste recordings we hear so often now.

Thanks man, glad you like it :)

Still waiting on the band to approve posting the raws, it might not be until after they release the EP, whenever that may be.

Cheers Revson, I tried to get creative with effects and panning - it's so nice to have space in the mix to put so many details in, unlike most metal mixes I work on where it's all got to be pretty upfront the whole time.
Guitars were mainly strats and a Hamer hollowbody through Axe-FX II, using Redwirez cab IRs in the DAW.