Am I missing something with Krank amps?

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I've been browsing ebay the last couple of days just checking out the prices of amps in America, and comparing them to prices here in Australia, mostly for the lulz. However, some amps are SO CHEAP on ebay, especially in comparison to Australia, and I've seen heaps of Krankensteins for less than 1500 USD.

Here in Australia, they go for SO much more than that, and if I decide to not trade my ESP and sell it instead, I would come very close to not only being able to afford one of these amps, but also the shipping costs and whatever else I need to get it to Australia.

I am just unsure if there is something from the equation that I'm missing out on, or whether the fact is that Krank's are just ridiculously cheap in America compared to Auz. and this could be a real possibility.

Anyone want to contribute to this discussion? :lol:

I have an older Revolution1 (2005 model) and that has a Mains Voltage selector switch to select either 115V or 230V. I would assume the newer models have this also (email Krank for confirmation). There are some prior to mine that do NOT have the switch. Anything over AUD$1000 attracts Import Duties and possible brokerage fees.

Check out this page for details (if you haven't already):
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Example 3 seems like the most appropriate.

Basically you pay 5% Duty on the Value of the item. Then the Shipping Value is added to the Duty Value and Item Value and then 10% GST is charged on the full amount. You then pay the Duty + GST.

If the amp is worth AUD$1500 and Shipping is $150:

Duty: $1500 X 5% = $75

GST Payable is:
(Cost + Duty + Shipping)X10%
(1500 + 75 + 150)X10% = $172.50

Total Duty and GST: $75 + $172.50 = $247.50

I have a headache, but I think that is correct. :loco:

well if I don't get any trade offers for my ESP, and I sell the thing, I may just consider getting a Krank with the money instead of some kind of cool J-custom Ibanez 7 of some sort. I don't really need a new amp head, but I don't need another 7 string either, but I know for damn sure I'd use another 7 or another amp head WAY more than I use my ESP. :lol:

A J Custom is awfully fucking tempting, but how much better is it gonna be than a Loomis model? You've already got pretty much one of the best production model 7 strings you can buy in Australia.
Krank sounds like a good idea.

I've got a Loomis sig and a C7 Hellraiser, that I put an 81-7 and 60-7 in. I love them both to death.

Nic (Bekanor) in my band has a sweet 2127 with piezos and stuff, and I know the guy he bought it off might also be selling a similar guitar...a 2027, made out of mahogany with piezos...the whole business. The main reason I'm getting rid of the Horizon as I said, is because I never use it, and regardless of whether I need another 7 or another amp, I know I'll use one of them more than the horizon, so that is why I'm sitting here contemplating things.