Krank Amps Newsflash

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
From here:

http://krankamps.com/MB/MBPosts.aspx?f=1&t=214

"We here at Krank just wanted to clear up a few things that we’ve been hearing about and seeing on other forums. There has been some talk about Michael Amott from Arch Enemy leaving Krank for Randall Amps. We wish Mike the best and are sure the new Arch Enemy music will kick ass. However what really needs to be addressed is all the talk of why Michael left and the situation surrounding it.

In December we fired our artist relations person Jody Dankberg, who was then and still is a minority owner in Krank Amplification LLC, for unethical business practices amongst other issues that were detrimental to the company. Jody has apparently since been hired by Randall Amps as a artist relations rep there as he is now listed on their website as such, and judging from postings we’ve seen on various internet forums that seem to be from a Randall representative, they are apparently trying to gather as many Krank artists as they can now that Jody is a Randall employee. Michael Amott has a relationship with Jody that started with Krank, and as we can only assume at this point right along side with the rest of you that his relationship coupled with the thought of a signature model, as well as financial benefit, came into play. We’ve never heard his direct reasons other than he “decided to move on”, but now there’s the Michael Amott signature Randall Ninja V2 head and truthfully Michael is a great guy and good for him if that’s what he wants now. Whether it will sound as good remains to be seen and is purely a subjective thing. However we’re aware of other Krank artists being contacted by Randall as well as nasty rumors being spread to not only artists but dealers as well about Krank apparently being in some sort financial trouble, which a blatant lie. These rumors appear to be originating from Chicago as we’ve heard from industry sources, coincidentally, or not so coincidentally, the home of US Music, both Randall and Washburn Guitars’ parent company. All we can say is that things are very well in Krankland as the company is doing great and we have some great new products arriving this year. Normally we wouldn’t even address such rubbish but too often in this business vicious rumors left unchecked become problematic and we feel that our name is being drug through the mud a bit here.

Just to clarify Krank has never in the existence of the company paid for an artist to play our gear (including Michael Amott), and a very, very small percentage of our artists have ever received free gear from us. Every endorsee we’ve earned by simply making a cool amp with great tone that they want to play, and obviously we must be doing something right as we have some of the best in the biz playing our amps and playing them based solely on the fact they like the gear. Not to mention we are approached on a daily basis by artists, both big and small, simply because they feel that we make a great product. We’ve been told by many of the top industry professionals we deal with that they’ve never seen an amp company become so successful so quickly and we’re poised to grow a lot more in the near future. At the end of the day you either have killer tone or you don’t and that’s all that really matters, and that’s where Krank Amplification is happy to let things stand and be decided.

Krank Amps"

Interesting stuff, particularly:

"Just to clarify Krank has never in the existence of the company paid for an artist to play our gear (including Michael Amott), and a very, very small percentage of our artists have ever received free gear from us."

Is it just me or does Amott have a higher opinion of himself than he should? His brother destroys him as a lead player. IMHO.

Interesting, sounds like there's a lot going on.

I don't think you're right about Michael though, he was on "Heartwork" for one thing which was a hugely important CD, and Arch Enemy are one of the biggest metal bands out there, mostly due to him doing the majority of the songwriting (I think...) Even if he does have a high opinion of himself I think he's right in thinking so.
The Mike Vs. Chris thing though is silly, I think they complement eachother, one melodic one fast, they're not as good apart. :(

Anyway that's not what this thread's about, ignore. :)

I don't know about Mike thinking too much of himself, but watching the Live Appocalypse DVD the other day I also had the thought go through my mind that I liked Chris better as a lead player than Mike. I don't really know why Mike gets all the worship, he can play, but it's gotten to the point where he's just repeating his own style.

....I don't think you're right about Michael though, he was on "Heartwork" for one thing which was a hugely important CD, and Arch Enemy are one of the biggest metal bands out there, mostly due to him doing the majority of the songwriting (I think...) Even if he does have a high opinion of himself I think he's right in thinking so.
The Mike Vs. Chris thing though is silly, I think they complement eachother, one melodic one fast, they're not as good apart. :(

Anyway that's not what this thread's about, ignore. :)

Nah, good points dude. I meant it more as an observation and imagination of maybe the reason Chris left the band. As far as Heartwork goes Steer wrote most of it and I preferred his playing style, though I am not knocking Amott with this comment, just preferred Steer. I saw Carcass on that tour, I liked the album alot, but not as much as Necroticism, that's a hell of an album.

I don't know about Mike thinking too much of himself, but watching the Live Appocalypse DVD the other day I also had the thought go through my mind that I liked Chris better as a lead player than Mike. I don't really know why Mike gets all the worship, he can play, but it's gotten to the point where he's just repeating his own style.

That's a better way of saying it. Mine came across a bit more abrupt, but had the same meaning. :)

wait a second, I was just going to say exactly this :lol: Thats kinda odd though, I've never heard a Randall I liked at ANY price range

hey just thought of something. If Arch Enemy work with Sneap on the next one I wonder if they'll be inclined to use Randalls. Also what the hell is it with Amott and ninjas?

They're not. Nordstrom is doing it.

I think this is good. Change is good. I bet they'll go back to Andy again down the line.

Change? I don't know if yo-yoing between Fredrik and Andy is really a "change" haha. Though, I've always wandered how the newer material would sound with Fredrik back behind the desk. Not to take anything away from Andy, it's just that Andy and Angela came in on Wages, so there wasn't really much of a progression.

They're not. Nordstrom is doing it.

I think this is good. Change is good. I bet they'll go back to Andy again down the line.
I'm not surprised, bands have a tendency to not get associated with one producer for too long. It makes the albums start to get stale no matter how good the production is.

Nah, good points dude. I meant it more as an observation and imagination of maybe the reason Chris left the band. As far as Heartwork goes Steer wrote most of it and I preferred his playing style, though I am not knocking Amott with this comment, just preferred Steer. I saw Carcass on that tour, I liked the album alot, but not as much as Necroticism, that's a hell of an album.

yeah I can definatly see where you're coming from. And I have to make a correction, I didn't mean to imply that Mike wrote much in Carcass, just in AE. :)

Thats kinda odd though, I've never heard a Randall I liked at ANY price range

Even the modular preamp racks and heads? Those are in a completely different league than their solid state stuff, IMHO.

I'm kinda surprised Amott would go with a solid state head. It seems to me like he's always preferred thick, warm tones?

wow that sucks. i do agree that m.ammott isn't as a good of a lead player as people think he is, even live his bro or fredrik akesson always play the "harder" leads.

that's a seperate topic but bummer on the loss of kranks. i always liked mesa tones but kranks were killer also. i'm guessing this is a business move more than a "tone" move. he had a such a great tone live and on the record. i will be very very shocked if those heads sound halfway decent. i've never heard a good sounding solid state amp ever. even though i appreciated the music alot now and more over when i was a teenager the closest thing to a decent tone was dimebag darrels on early pantera records. even then the tone was so oversaturated and not warm. even though the music blew his tone was much better in damageplan when he was using krank heads.

this is also a little notch on the belt (though not as huge obviously) from randall/washburn due to the fact that they lost dimebag as an endorsee and dimebag basically put krank amps on the map as far as product recognition and then andy sneap and arch enemy and nevermore came along :)

Randall poaching Krank endorsee's is pretty goddamn shady...

You say that but an artist doesnt have to move do they. Obviously if someone wants to make a mark with a new company theyre going to call all the guys they knew from the last place. Some of em might want to chase but I bet not all of em will. I cant imagine a guitar player changing company just becasue they like the rep rather than because they like the tone.

The V2 series is based off a tube preamp, IIRC...Randall has the new T2 and V2 amps and they have tube pres in them. I've played one before and I liked it. Sounded like a solid high gainer to me.

Now, to add fuel to the fire, a Randall employee said on Harmony Central that Andy himself was checking out Randalls, so this could be interesting...

To quote the Randall dude...He's posted on HCAF for some time, so this isn't the Jody guy...
Quote:
We have a good number of new endorsees that were w/ Krank. You'll start seeing more new artist in the next few months (Andy Sneap may possibly be among them as well). Andy does an amazing job recrding and uses what ever it takes to get the tone he's looking for. The new Arch Enemy as well as As I Lay Dying and even Cradle of Filth all had re-amped Kranks on them and Andy did an amazing job getting great tone out of those amps.

Along with the Mike Ammot Ninja V2, there will be some really cool signature amps coming from Kirk Hammet, Scott Ian, and Greg Tribbet.

Rich Shelby
Randall Amplifiers

I wasnt too keen on the V2 demo on their site, depends how this goes I might delay if its better than a Peavey XXX and buy this one :p