AMARANTHE #1 on Billboard HeatSeekers charts

Remember that point where TDD probably thought "hey I'm just joking around pushing buttons, for fun, not sure why people are getting annoyed". and everyone else was thinking, "Ok we get it, just give it a rest".
Try to find a thread where Milt hasn't busted my chops about my unholy man-love for Manowar. Oh wait… he did so a mere half dozen posts ago.

People need to be a little less sensitive about the bands they enjoy. The way some people react around here, you’d think it was their mother’s honor you called into question. It's a discussion forum my friend. And it would be a very boring one at that if we all just nodded, agreed, and didn't bust each other chops a bit. So... for as long as people want to play point/counter-point in this thread, I’ll play along.

That aside, TDD broke the first two rules of PP Forum.

1. Don’t piss off Glenn
2. DON’T PISS OFF GLENN

So, until such time as Glenn feels the need to warn me that I’m not allowed to be sarcastic and have a little fun busting the balls of fellow forum-members (and for the most part, friends), I’m going to continue to do so. And until that time, chillax about your man-love for Amaranthe bro.

Yea…

Try to find a thread where Milt hasn't busted my chops about my unholy man-love for Manowar. Oh wait… he did so a mere half dozen posts ago.
Yea…

I'm not making fun. However, I'm just going to leave this here. :lol::lol::lol:

Manowar1984Poster.jpg

I don't get why metal fans take it as an insult that someone legitimately thinks a band isn't metal. Who cares what kind of music they play? Why does it HAVE to be metal? Like, what if Amaranthe came out and said tomorrow that they consider themselves to be a "hard rock" band - would you not go to their shows anymore or something?

I actually wanted to post this sentiment in the Volbeat thread way back when where the same discussion broke out. It's just so weird to me that people care so much that the band they like has to be metal, and if someone doesn't think otherwise it's a direct insult to the band and the fans. Weird.

Eh. I don't find it really insulting if someone says a band isn't metal. However, the way in which someone says it isn't metal usually is them saying because it isn't metal, it isn't good. Plus, the whole these bands are metal and these aren't argument is so obnoxious. Can't we just talk about if they're good or not?

It's basically like Simon said. I don't care if you consider a band metal or not, I may or may not agree and it's mostly irrelevant. However, if you're going to act like you have to hand out Metal Cards based on your like/dislike/perception of metalness, you can get fucked. That goes, almost completely imo, against the concept of the community we've built.

I'm not making fun. However, I'm just going to leave this here. :lol::lol::lol:

Manowar1984Poster.jpg

This reminds of:

"I see all those old dudes out there just banging their heads to our records," Reinert said, wearing an imposing goatee and extra-large Miami Dolphins jersey. "And I have to think — 'That stuff you're banging your head to? That is some gay, gay metal, man.'"

It's not at all. There’s lots of great music out there and metal fans shouldn’t limit themselves to only the bands classified as metal. For instance, Duran Duran is one of my all-time favorite bands. However, I didn’t start a thread on here when their most recent release hit #29 on the (actual) Billboard charts. :heh:

Course, last I checked, Duran Duran hasn't played ProgPower. When they have, it would certainly be on topic to discuss their Billboard chart position. :heh:

From now on, people should say "That's/This isn't metal TO ME"
Because it's all just like...your opinion, man.
Or perhaps when people read someone else saying such-and-such a band is or isn't metal, they should realize that obviously it is just their opinion and not get bent out of shape about it.

It's not at all. There’s lots of great music out there and metal fans shouldn’t limit themselves to only the bands classified as metal. For instance, Duran Duran is one of my all-time favorite bands. However, I didn’t start a thread on here when their most recent release hit #29 on the (actual) Billboard charts.

That part does not bother me, Zod I like metal but I also listen to Dar Williams, Gaelic Storm and Journey. Even saw il Divo in concert.

I don't even care that people dislike Amaranthe, Within Temptation or Duran Duran. Everyone is entitled to their own aesthetics. There are bands I don't care to hear as well. I just don't feel the need to insult bands I dislike or fail to understand.

What I don't like are the people that feel they absolutely must be negative when they could just let matters rest. If this were a review of the latest release by Amaranthe, then negative reviews would be fine. Instead, it is a thread started by someone happy to see a band they like start to get a small amount of recognition stateside but some people seem bound and determined to piss in their Wheaties for no other reason other than they can.

I don't like the Alabama Crimson Tide but I don't throw in a "they fucking suck" every time one of their fans says or writes something.

For what little it is worth, Amaranthe's scream vocals is what led to finally appreciate bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, and early Amorphis. Getting accustomed to listening to death metal vocals required some work out of me. Amaranthe eased me down that path.

We cannot help but be critical listeners when we hear music. We can help acting like dicks.

That part does not bother me, Zod I like metal but I also listen to Dar Williams, Gaelic Storm and Journey. Even saw il Divo in concert.

I don't even care that people dislike Amaranthe, Within Temptation or Duran Duran. Everyone is entitled to their own aesthetics. There are bands I don't care to hear as well. I just don't feel the need to insult bands I dislike or fail to understand.

What I don't like are the people that feel they absolutely must be negative when they could just let matters rest. If this were a review of the latest release by Amaranthe, then negative reviews would be fine. Instead, it is a thread started by someone happy to see a band they like start to get a small amount of recognition stateside but some people seem bound and determined to piss in their Wheaties for no other reason other than they can.

I don't like the Alabama Crimson Tide but I don't throw in a "they fucking suck" every time one of their fans says or writes something.

For what little it is worth, Amaranthe's scream vocals is what led to finally appreciate bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, and early Amorphis. Getting accustomed to listening to death metal vocals required some work out of me. Amaranthe eased me down that path.

We cannot help but be critical listeners when we hear music. We can help acting like dicks.

Great post. I especially appreciate the bit about the Crimson Tide :heh:

People need to be a little less sensitive about the bands they enjoy. The way some people react around here, you’d think it was their mother’s honor you called into question. It's a discussion forum my friend. And it would be a very boring one at that if we all just nodded, agreed, and didn't bust each other chops a bit. So... for as long as people want to play point/counter-point in this thread, I’ll play along.

:worship:

What I don't like are the people that feel they absolutely must be negative when they could just let matters rest.
As I noted earlier, it’s a discussion forum about music. Given that music is a completely subjective matter, you’re going to be hard pressed to find any topic where people “just let matters rest”. In addition, there are always going to be those bands who draw a reaction. That said, if you follow the whole thread, it started out with me just ribbing the OP. It’s turned into something a bit more with all the point / counterpoint, but the original intent was just to inject a bit of sarcasm into the thread. Had everyone “just let matters rest”, as you’ve suggested, the thread would have looked like this.

Poster #1: Amaranthe sold a bunch of records.

Poster #2: Congrats to them.

Poster #3: I love Amaranthe.

Poster #4: Me too.

Poster #5: Me too.

Poster #6: Yeah, me too.

/End Thread

Instead we’ve had an entertaining and passionate discussion about everything from Duran Duran to Divo, and from the Crimson Tide to Manowar.

Just so I’m clear… you don’t like it when “people feel they absolutely must be negative”, but believe anyone who doesn’t share your perspective should be referred to as a “dick”?