Not bad at all!!!!

Aug 14, 2008
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=154797

"Glorious Collision", the new album from Swedish metallers EVERGREY, sold around 900 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 49 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

Grats! This is a solid number for a band that hasn't toured the US since 2006 and before that 2004.

Yeah, that's really not bad! I can easily think of some other bands who've toured more, yet sold less. Something was definitely done right. :D

I wonder how many of those 900 are directly or indirectly due to Glen's influence...

900 isn't bad? I guess I don't know anything about the music industry. I thought stuff sold in the many thousands, especially for established bands.

900 isn't bad? I guess I don't know anything about the music industry. I thought stuff sold in the many thousands, especially for established bands.

The number is for the USA alone.

Goes to show you two things:

1 - Evergrey is not as big as you thought.
2 - You probably don't realize the reality of today's music business.

The number is for the USA alone.

Goes to show you two things:

1 - Evergrey is not as big as you thought.
2 - You probably don't realize the reality of today's music business.

No doubt. I know getting people to pay for music these days is tough and touring is where it's at. I wonder if there is any price they could sell music at that would get people to pay for a nice clean rip rather than download. Topic for a different thread obviously.

I guess in my mind I thought they were big. How do their sales compare with some of the bigger metal acts? Just for reference.

No doubt. I know getting people to pay for music these days is tough and touring is where it's at. I wonder if there is any price they could sell music at that would get people to pay for a nice clean rip rather than download. Topic for a different thread obviously.

I guess in my mind I thought they were big. How do their sales compare with some of the bigger metal acts? Just for reference.

According to Nielsen Soundscan (that doesn't really include EVERY copy sold, but it's a good tool of comparison - again, not 100% accurate):

Disturbed's Asylum - 179,000
Yngwie Malmsteen's Relentless - 1,600
Vader's Necropolis - 1,130
Sonata Arctica's Days of Grays - 2,000
Saxon's Into The Labyrinth - 1,000
Katatonia's Night is the New Day - 2,000

More first week sales comparison:

Edguy- Tinnitus Sanctus: 600
Stratovarius- Polaris- 800
Helloween- 1,900
Blind Guardian- At the Edge of Time: 4,400
Kamelot- Poetry for the Poisoned- 6,100
Symphony X- Paradise Lost: 6,500
Nightwish- Dark Passion Play- 10,800
Dragonforce- Ultra Beatdown- 24,000

Yeah, 3 digit sales numbers for a country of over 310 million people is outstanding :rolleyes:

This is the direct consequence of music piracy. And yes, I bought the cd.

More first week sales comparison:

Edguy- Tinnitus Sanctus: 600
Stratovarius- Polaris- 800
Helloween- 1,900
Blind Guardian- At the Edge of Time: 4,400
Kamelot- Poetry for the Poisoned- 6,100
Symphony X- Paradise Lost: 6,500
Nightwish- Dark Passion Play- 10,800
Dragonforce- Ultra Beatdown- 24,000

This sounds about right, give or take a single or double digit numeral. The metal community is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the whole US musicfan population . . which in itself is so small in the first place. Even a Metallica album, as large/mainstream as they have become will only exist in . . let's presume 36.4% of a ROCK fan's collection. It's not about filesharing. It's about rock and metal becoming the lost genre, promotion-wise.

Yeah, 3 digit sales numbers for a country of over 310 million people is outstanding :rolleyes:

Did I say they were outstanding? No. So you can drop your unnecessary pessimism and underhanded slant against me (truth be told though, if I was a fan of awful bands like Asia, I'd be mad too, but control it bro :lol:).

However, for a band that doesn't tour this country much and is on a label that just got out of insolvency, I'm pretty sure all parties are happy with these first-week numbers. In fact, considering who SPV has signed lately, these are probably the best numbers they've gotten since bouncing back from bankruptcy in the US.

However, for a band that doesn't tour this country much and is on a label that just got out of insolvency, I'm pretty sure all parties are happy with these first-week numbers. In fact, considering who SPV has signed lately, these are probably the best numbers they've gotten since bouncing back from bankruptcy in the US.

Agreed 100%.

It says a lot about the decline of CD sales when a seemingly abysmal number like 900 units moved actually places a band on any Billboard chart. The 'qualifying' numbers get lower every year.

Taking this into the mainstream, I was floored when 1,000 sales of a band's independently-released single* -- sales made at the convention I'm involved with here, Dragon*Con -- made enough of a difference when combined with other first-week sales to place that single at #8 on Billboard's nationwide singles chart, and #1 on Billboard's dance-singles chart...toppling Beyoncé. :headbang:
Since I was the venue rep who verified the sales -- LOTS of empty boxes -- and signed the SoundScan forms, I got an incredulous call from them and had to explain the circumstances. But they listened, and afterward, "the sounds of spluttered latté could be heard in many a record label's NYC offices when an independent release toppled Beyoncé"...to borrow the quote from Variety. :heh:
That was a few years ago now, too. Sure, singles are a different breed from albums sales-wise, but it's amazing that 1,000 sold would make THAT big a difference.

----
* The Cruxshadows, "Birthday"