AMARANTHE announces US headline tour

I have no idea what the intentions are for these shows. Last I heard, they were supposed to be doing something a bit bigger in the Fall in the US, but maybe it fell through. I would guess that these shows could be just "showcases" for bigtime industry people who may want to work with the band. They could also be "feeler" shows to test the waters and see how many people come out to see the band on short notice. If the crowds are good, management will push them harder here.

That totally makes a lot of sense, as long as someone is willing to take that financial risk.... Let's be honest here. . . Unless there is a VERY strong local opener, these shows aren't exactly going to be packed shows.

I guess this is where I will have to play devil's advocate against this practice. While I see what they are doing, what happens if each gig draws less than 100? Their management / label / etc may not choose to take another chance. Now if they put them out on the road supporting a larger band on their label or booking agent roster off the bat, they can gauge how well they do to a true metal "audience" (IE - did they win anyone over?)

Amon Amarth is a great example of this.
They did a number of tours supporting larger bands before they broke out as a solid headliner and stole the show all the time.

Anyhow, best of luck to them. Will be curious to hear how this plays out.

I think you kit the nail on the head here. I could see them touring with someone like Epica, but more likely we should seem them supporting more mainstream heavier acts. I don't know what THEY are expecting to draw, but I would expect 150-250 per night if they were playing in San Francisco. Maybe add 50-100 more for a weekend show. Depends a bit on the venue and promoter, as an active promoter can bring in more people than someone that books it and doesn't tell anyone about it. Hard to say though since it will be their first time through.

I'm not so sure on that, If they broke 200 on the weekend in some spots I would be very surprised. Just trying to be realistic, there were less than 300 at the two Swedish dates on the Strato/Ama EU tour... That's their hometown too!

BUT I think some of the shows will very much depend on how hard the promoter promotes it. I hope they sell out every club they play, but I would bet on 50-120s on an average for this first run.

I'm not so sure on that, If they broke 200 on the weekend in some spots I would be very surprised. Just trying to be realistic, there were less than 300 at the two Swedish dates on the Strato/Ama EU tour... That's their hometown too!

BUT I think some of the shows will very much depend on how hard the promoter promotes it. I hope they sell out every club they play, but I would bet on 50-120s on an average for this first run.

I was kind of making an estimate based on the recent draw for The Agonist that drew 265 on a Monday. I would think the draw might be similar.

man i hope so! WOW i cant believe The Agonist did that! where was it? it was just them?

It was at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco. It was only local support, but I think the local bands brought in a lot of fans. That particular promoter (Man Down) is very active in promoting his shows and in general he brings in a better draw than some of the "book it and forget it" promoters. He used to book shows at the Avalon in Santa Clara, but since that venue lost it's lease he's been having trouble finding venues for his shows.

It was at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco. It was only local support, but I think the local bands brought in a lot of fans. That particular promoter (Man Down) is very active in promoting his shows and in general he brings in a better draw than some of the "book it and forget it" promoters. He used to book shows at the Avalon in Santa Clara, but since that venue lost it's lease he's been having trouble finding venues for his shows.

Mike Beard - He has been doing some shows in the south bay and over in Oakland too. It really sucks that the Avalon lost their home to freaking Kaiser Permanente, I loved that place and its in the town I live in... Bumma

Bear

Mike Beard - He has been doing some shows in the south bay and over in Oakland too. It really sucks that the Avalon lost their home to freaking Kaiser Permanente, I loved that place and its in the town I live in... Bumma

Bear

The Avalon was a great venue, and we have been losing shows that would have been there if it was still around - U.D.O. for example. Mike was pleading for a Bay Area venue to pick up a date. Just today he was looking for someone to help him back a Saxon show in Santa Cruz. Hope he pulls it off. Saxon at the Avalon drew around 700 as opposed to probably less than 150 at the Last Day Saloon in Santa Rosa the next night. That is the difference promotion and venue can make. I never could understand the piss poor attendance for shows at the Last Day Saloon compared to everywhere else, because it was a nice venue.

Bear

Bear, out of curiosity... does he take "prog" shows as well? Does that go over well in that area?

Cheers!

Bear, out of curiosity... does he take "prog" shows as well? Does that go over well in that area?

Cheers!

I'm not Bear, but I can't remember him ever booking a straight up "prog" band, but maybe more of a prog metal band he would be interested in. He seems to do mostly thrash and '80s hard rock/metal. I know he's expressed interest in bands like Pagan's Mind and ColdSpell, but again I know he shares costs with venues and he is having trouble finding venues at the moment to book his shows right now. I could see him booking Amaranthe.

Honestly, we don't get too many straight up "prog" shows out here from local promoters, so it's kind of hard to judge. The guys at Bay Area Rock Promotions do an occasional show and sometimes they are well attended and other times not. They did Transatlantic that went over great (better than I would have thought), but Neal Morse solo didn't.

They could easily go 200-300 in South Florida. But if they come here at all it will probably be Orlando or Tampa. Wish I knew why promoters think that those two towns are more appropriate than the Miami area.

They could easily go 200-300 in South Florida. But if they come here at all it will probably be Orlando or Tampa. Wish I knew why promoters think that those two towns are more appropriate than the Miami area.

Amaranthe 200-300 in South Florida? At the risk of sounding candid, but are you off your meds? :lol: In all seriousness, what are you basing that comment on?

You think it would be more?
Revolution would be full if they came here as a headliner.
So would the Culture Room.

How do I know that...I would make it happen personally!:D

I love Amaranthe, but don't see more than 100 people going to see them anywhere in the USA *especially* Florida. I could be wrong, but I doubt they can even pull that off very much.

Now, NOT counting LOCAL BANDS that will bring the people in.

At best, they will get a decent amount in NYC, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal (if they do Canada). I will be at the NYC show. Doubt I'll see more than 150, 200 *AT BEST* there.

But, I hope I'm wrong and that they surprise me. I really don't see it happening though. Just a reality of the market, their "position" in it (in North America), and the short-notice of this tour.

I love Amaranthe, but don't see more than 100 people going to see them anywhere in the USA *especially* Florida. I could be wrong, but I doubt they can even pull that off very much.

Now, NOT counting LOCAL BANDS that will bring the people in.

At best, they will get a decent amount in NYC, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal (if they do Canada). I will be at the NYC show. Doubt I'll see more than 150, 200 *AT BEST* there.

But, I hope I'm wrong and that they surprise me. I really don't see it happening though. Just a reality of the market, their "position" in it (in North America), and the short-notice of this tour.

Just curious, but what approx what did the PoS/Kingrow draw in Chicago? I'm really bad at guessing.

You think it would be more?
Revolution would be full if they came here as a headliner.
So would the Culture Room.

How do I know that...I would make it happen personally!:D

Actualy, having listened to both albums recently in their entirety (yard work - it helped), I could absolutely see Amaranthe being a bigger hit in Miami than in central FL. It's their poppy/Industrial crossover style. Crank up "Electroheart" and you'd get scantily clad tanned Miami bunnies bopping all over the place, on the bartop, on top of stools, hanging from rafters - all with neon citrus colored lights swirling all over the place.

Amaranthe has that "Miami Sound Machine" vibe going that could actually get people in a club - if there was proper marketing in that area. South Florida has a completely different dynamic than Chicagoland or the Atlantic Northeast. It is also hella out of the way, and once you go to Miami - you have to turn around... or go to Cuba. Probably explains why no dates there.