AMARANTHE: Maximalism

Maximalism has some of the best music Amaranthe has released in their career.

Look past "That song" and you'll discover some awesome songs. I can't stop listening to it. Yes, it's poppy as fuck, but there's a reason why "pop" music is popular.

Looking forward to seeing them live very much.

PS. This post is done with absolute zero bias, from a festival perspective or a personal-relationship perspective with the band. I'm speaking purely musically.

#TrustInMilton

The first 28 seconds of that clip grabbed me. The rest of it reminded me of Evanescence. I don't MIND poppy sounding metal, but I really don't think I'm going to have the attention span for this when it releases.

Reactions: Kez
The teaser definitely helps. I guess it goes without saying that in order for them to advance their sound in all directions, metally, poppily, and techno-y, they'll have to increase in some of those attributes. It is a lot more poppy. I even heard a "Drop it like it's hot" in there somewhere, and a good few nah nah nahs/lah lah lahs in choruses, which seems lazy. The question is, can they keep the balance without going full pop retard at some point (and that point seems to have been reached by many already.)
It probably isnt going to stop me from jumping my brains out during their set.

Overall, the clips sound pretty damn awesome. Aside from That Song, there were only two previews I had a negative opinion of (the "drop it like it's hot" song and the dubstep love ballad) It sounds like this album will likely be as good as Massive Addictive (which I enjoyed, but was overall noticeably weaker than their first two albums). I still want to give it a few listens before buying it though.

New single, "Fury"
This is a definite departure from "That Song".

Holy crap, I LOVE this! Thanks so much for posting it! Nice to hear Henrik front and center for a change. There will be at least 2 songs on the album without him at all, so this song kind of makes up for it.

We don't often get ear candy at PP. It's a fun change of pace every now and then. A half week full of Green Carnation, Ihsahn or Primordial would be overwhelming.
Amaranthe is good at what they do, they're entertaining, and they're part of our family. I'll be there for their set with a smile on my face.

We don't often get ear candy at PP. It's a fun change of pace every now and then. A half week full of Green Carnation, Ihsahn or Primordial would be overwhelming.
Amaranthe is good at what they do, they're entertaining, and they're part of our family. I'll be there for their set with a smile on my face.
Speak for yourself. I can do Ihsahn for a week straight!

Well.....

Good news is that it is not as bad as the singles might have suggested.

Bad news, it is their worst album by far. Songs like On the Rocks and Boomerang just dabble in too much pop stupidity. I don't mind if they dip deep into the well of pop sounds and catchy choruses as they create their music. But they dig a little too deep and incorporate not just the sounds but the horrible pop troupes. While their lyrics were never from the "Peart school of thought provoking lyrics", they were never this dumb either. Dumb pop lyrics and just borrowing cliches like "drop it while it's hot" and "na na na" choruses is not blending pop into their style, it is co-opting the dumbest elements of the genre.

Here's my scorecard for Maximalism:

Great songs: 1 (Break Down and Cry)
Good-ish songs: 3 (Maximize, Boomerang, Faster)
God-awful songs: 4 (That Song, 21, On The Rocks, Supersonic)
Forgettable songs: 4 (The rest)

And I disagree about the lyrics hitting a new low - they've always been completely stupid and gibberish. Not a knock on them, I enjoy them live.

I've been able to look past their generally poor lyrics because at least their first two albums were great. Supersonic made me want to kill myself though: "We are not ironic, we're supersonic!"