Amazing Guitarists.... Vai

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Most of his song writing sucks. Most of his riff writing sucks.
But his solo work are the entire song, thats where the concentration should be completely.. and in that area he is very emotional, it is music... but not everyone will hear it. (its another case of "if you dont like it then you cant judge it!" hehe).

So yeh in a way i agree, most of my praise comes from the 'technicalities' side of things. Whereas emotion and stuff is the most important thing in music for me, but i CAN see a lot of emotion in his soloing on P&W so i do have a little different opinion.

Vai is probably good for the style and the tricks that he invented, but I'm sure someone with a real feeling for music could do much more with this style. Vai's choice of melodies gives me the impression that he's not inspired, he just knows all the scales and tricks and can run all over the fretboard and I'm confident he can play 5-hour long solos of the same quality; but I don't find any musical content in his solos - the only purpose Vai's playing is good for, it study.

D Mullholand

Originally posted by D Mullholand
Okay, I've listened to ALL albums of Vai, and I have to say that it's NOT MUSIC. I mean, the guy is a gymnast, not a musician, there's no musical feeling in his guiturbations. Sure, you can appreciate him as a guitar-trickster, you can learn technique from him, but he clearly doesn't hear music. His albums are some of the most shallow, ugly, tasteless and just plain disgusting moosik that I have heard in the last couple of years.

brash.gif

I would gladly prefer the 3 songs by YaYoGakk to 3 discographies of Vai, any day.

John McLaughlin, there's a real guitarist, who most importantly, is a Musician.

D Mullholand

Listen to Sex and Religion and rethink dude.

Jeff Beck yeh, dammit there's a great player.

Tell you what though, STEVE LUKATHER he the man!!