Amazing jazz albums

Necromunchkin

Lord of the Whisky
Sep 21, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
Having been on a jazz kick lately, and having listened to all the greats as proclaimed, and more obscure shit here and there, I've come to the conclusion for me, Charles Mingus' "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" may be one of the single most amazing jazz experiences I've had.

So, what say my fellow music snobs about great jazz moments?

obligatory Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" mention.

I am big into Miles Davis, particularly his electric period.... I find Dark Magus to be a crowning achievement in music history, though the accessibility of that album is daunting for the unitiated in electric Miles. He put out a lot of great music in that period... Agharta/Pangaea, Live-Evil, Jack Johnson... all outright incredible albums.

The Thelonious Monk w/ John Coltrane album is magnificent.

As for something of recent times....
I've been reading a lot of good things lately about the Mats/Morgan band, but yet to check them out. I mean, Morgan Ågren!? Mats Öberg?! Zappa influenced jazz?! How can it go wrong!

I believe it's only possible to go wrong in the right way, with that approach.

I tend to agree with you in regards to Miles' electric stuff. I'll have to spin "Dark Magus" more, as lately I've been much more into the "cool" era, but I remember once having an epic music moment listening to "In A Silent Way" and he'd barely scratched it at that point.

And "Love Supreme" is undeniable.

All above albums rule supreme.

Listen to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Sessions.

Also, check out Niacin, particularly Organik and Time Crunch. Feautures bassist Billy Sheehan and the greatest drummer in the world, Dennis Chambers...also some dude (forget his name) on the B3 Hammond. It should blow you away easily.

Also, I think Dev was the one who recommended it, if you wanna check out some "new age" jazz stuff...check out Jaga Jazzist's A Livingroom Hush album. It's electronic jazz, if that makes any sense and very chill. Good shit.

edit: oh, and Coltrane's A Love Supreme.

Miles Davis' albums from 81 - 90. While not considered traditional jazz, they featured one of my favorite bassists of all time, Marcus Miller, creating a wonderful Jazz/Funk fusion.

Marcus Miller has an awesome solo discography too...

I'm not a fan of jazz really, but I do have Coltrane's "Love Supreme" on my iPod. I also have some Miles Davis. I figure that if I'm going to dedicate whatever minimal time I can to jazz, then I might as well focus on the legendary material.

I've tried jazz-fusion at times, particularly to see what the fuss was all about with Jaco Pastorius, but, nah...it's too twiddly piddly.

Me likey fusion. If you want something more contemporary, Uncle Moe's Space Tavern - "Moe's Town" is a fantastic fusion disc from this year. Japan's Fragile has killer stuff, but they want way too much money for it. Hiromi, also from Japan, is a pretty killer pianist/keyboardist and generally has a slick backing band. David Fiuczynski plays guitar on her latest. His work with Rufus Cappadocia was killer, and his other solo work is pretty great, too. Attention Deficit's "The Idiot King" and Ohm's two releases are pretty killer, although not pure fusion, from fusion snobs' perspective. I'm still a relative newbie to the genre, and I have a lot of older stuff that I have yet to dig in to, but if you like anything I mentioned here, I can scour my mp3s for other recommendations.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Birds of Fire" or "The Inner Mounting Flame"

Listen to these, fuck what everyone else says. Seriously just close the thread, no one knows what they're talking about anyway.

edit: Wes Montgomery... anything

Did you know that Wes' signature finger-picking style developed because the only time he had to practice was late at night and he didn't want to wake up his kids? I just think that such a fact is really cool...

The only jazz (or fusion) album I have is Mahavishnu Orchestra's "The Inner Mounting Flame" which I bought on MFJ's recommendation, and it is pretty neat. I've been meaning to check out some old Davis, Coltrane, etc. but never seem to find the time.

I may have to check out some of the fusion recommendations, because frankly, most of it has been completely uninteresting. I'm a jazz purist in many way, and the introduction of electric guitar detracts from what I like most about favorites like Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Coltrane, and so forth.

This thread inspired me to listen to Davis' "Kind of Blue" again yesterday. I've put it aside for quite a while in favor of his latter works, but it's so top notch there is no denying why "Kind of Blue" is considered "the" definitive jazz album.

I love how powerfully Coltrane comes in at the start of each of his solos, what a beast! And yet with all that force, he still maintains that "cool" laid-back vibe that permeates the disc.

If you like guitar based jazz check out Pat Metheny.

Another great jazz guitarist is Bill Frisell. I saw him live once, and I shit myself in shame at being in the presence of his genius. He's probably the most original guitarist of the last 20 years.

bill evans conversation with myself is such a good album

bill evans is good

i enjoy listening to bill evans

edit; you probably would too

Gasp!

Jimbo, my man, great call on that Mingus. I'm absolutely floored with the aural perfection presented on said album! The compositions contained therein are utterly brilliant. BRILLIANT.