Ambient/Drone/Etc.

Eh, I can't get into much of this stuff. I don't mind some ambient sections in songs, or even an ambient song embedded in an album, but an entire record of this stuff just puts me to sleep.

But back to Ambient, I thoroughly enjoyed the Wongraven, Spectral Lore and Forgotten Kingdoms links you shared. Especially Spectral Lore which I plan to now get into!
I think Burzum's Dauði Baldrs is absolutely essential listening in this realm of music and to a lesser extent, Fenriz's Neptune Towers project.

Here's a few of my personal favourites for good measure.

I liked your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th songs. You did prompt me to listen to Daudi Baldrs, which I hadn't heard since before Belus came out (and wasn't a fan at the time since I saw 'War' as the pinnacle of his writing at the time). It grabbed my attention this time for sure, especially opening with the title track, which is pretty much the same thing as Belus Dod. \m/

Reactions: CiG
I liked your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th songs. You did prompt me to listen to Daudi Baldrs, which I hadn't heard since before Belus came out (and wasn't a fan at the time since I saw 'War' as the pinnacle of his writing at the time). It grabbed my attention this time for sure, especially opening with the title track, which is pretty much the same thing as Belus Dod. \m/

That's cool man, glad I could show you some things. Actually Dark Ages is a very well considered project.

Cult-of-Luna-and-Julie-Christmas-Mariner.jpg

New Cult of Luna album featuring Julie Christmas.

^ Good album. I haven't spun it enough, but it seemed like a mixed bag, a couple of really good bits but some tedium also.

Loving the drums on this one...

Wow, you actually listened to Mariner. I was having mixed feelings towards the female vocalist but the song The Wreck of S.S. Needle convinced me entirely. What a piece of work. The whole album itself is generally great, there are some tedious moments but a 9/10 album overall.

Definitely been looking to get into more dark ambient. I like Lustmord and Hoedh but haven't heard much else.

I'm still not entirely sure what just drone is. I find drone doom to be a little silly but only because it's kind of unappealing in a metal context for me. I'm assuming there's a difference though...?

Reactions: CiG
Drone isn't so much a specific genre as a way of making music. You get metal, ambient, 'new age', and whatever else drone music.

I think this is about as good as droney metal shit gets

Repetition, generally lower tempos, technically I guess you stick to one note/chord throughout but I guess you get a similar effect through being completely atonal sometimes.

I don't know, it's not that I can't appreciate minimalism but reverb based songs in a genre like metal seems out of place to me. I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to deny bands like Boris, Sunn, Earth and Nadja from being categorized as metal. Some of Boris' less droney songs are closer to indie or punk iirc.

Drone isn't so much a specific genre as a way of making music. You get metal, ambient, 'new age', and whatever else drone music.

Pretty spot on. That's why I made the thread title somewhat ambiguous to cover anything metal/interesting to metal fans that is repetitive, hypnotic, or generally longwinded.