Metal Pros/Pet Peeves?

I think we're imagining disagreements that don't exist. Lo-fi and well produced albums can both be great, but both can go too far. For example: Antediluvian's 'Through the Cervix of Hawaah' is an album I very much want to enjoy(the riffffs), but they shoved the microphone so far up the cavern of some interdimensional demon's asshole it's just not enjoyable. It physically gives me a headache to listen for more than 5-10 minutes. I WANT TO LIKE IT.

Reactions: CiG
He lives in France on welfare with a hundred children, he doesn't play live because he probably can't and openly despises most aspects of metal, and he only chose to perform metal music because it was a vehicle for selling an image of being some kind of wannabe outsider artist. If he was true to himself he'd just play his shitty neofolk garbage in a hut to his fellow neo-Nazi wewuzvikangs LARPers.
I think that's what he'll probably end up doing anyway. As far as I can tell we'll never hear a new Burzum album ever again.

Iol point was I DON'T take it seriously. proud poser right here
yeah i get it, no one here takes anything seriously tbh .... but what you're saying is the actual composition is not as important to you than the way that said composition is produced? This just sounds weird to me, especially when coming from someone who said they played/play in a band if remember correctly. Or was it just artwork? I've been pretty clouded lately.

And I like plenty of over produced albums, Danzig's self-titled album for example. Just prefer it if an album has quirks & imperfections. Doesn't change my opinion of the music itself, mind you.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
"It doesnt sound kvlt enough" is literally the definition of poserism

I guess I was the only one who said I prefer better production, so this makes more sense to me now. Not to judge people who prefer a rawer sound, but kvlt worship for it's own sake can be pretty fucking ridiculous at times.

yesterday I was poking around my hometowns metal forums and everyone was nuts for this demo. kind of epitomized the ridiculousness of kvlt worship to me. maybe i'm the poser though. maybe this is good shit, but I just don't hear it

peeves: DRUM MACHINES!

giphy.gif

Reactions: jimmy101
Drum machines should only be used for demoing purposes imo, as a last resort.

yeah i get it, no one here takes anything seriously tbh .... but what you're saying is the actual composition is not as important to you than the way that said composition is produced? This just sounds weird to me, especially when coming from someone who said they played/play in a band if remember correctly. Or was it just artwork? I've been pretty clouded lately.

No way, definitely some well produced albums that are garbage to my ears. My beef was more with the armies of thrash and black metal bands that put the time and effort into writing genuinely interesting stuff and then opt for shit production where I can't even hear the riffs, there's no thump to the bass and the drums are drowned out. There are definitely albums I like that are less produced where it simply works with the music. Particularly classics that were done that way because they had to. But my feeling is that MOST, not all but most, bands are improved with production quality. Not necessarily sparkly clean production. I just like to have some clarity and punch to it.

The band you're referring to was Sadistic Ritual. That's actually a good example. The first demo was through a 1/4" to 1/8" converter straight into the PC mic jack and our friend engineered it. Literally 2 dollar setup minus the drums and production wise sounded pretty damned good even though songwriting wise we were pretty inexperienced. After we split they did an LP with the new lineup with a different studio and it was pretty fucking muddy even though I was really digging the improvement in songwriting. Then they went back to our original engineer for their last EP and it sounded pretty monstrous again.

So yeah, I'm not saying production outweighs songwriting necessarily. Not unless it's just really awful. But it can definitely take a band to the next level. It's part of the art to me. Even if you're producing it with the intent of keeping a "rawer" sound, you still do it with some intention that makes the album a coherent vision and not just a cool idea lost in a wall of fuzz and bad eq

Fuck this must be pretty bad. Will listen to it at home when I'm finished bludging here @ work.

i'm sure some people are too finicky about production or w/e but it's an undeniable fact that murky or harsh or ill-fitting etc production can detract from the impact of a composition, and conversely the right production can help bring it to life. not sure why people expect or argue otherwise. i've heard a lot of production jobs over the years that have been literally headache-inducing, but other than that they're good songwriters so i should love the album? that isn't how music works.