Best Bands While Stoned

Raumien

Pepsi Fiend
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
What bands do you think best benefit from the state of being stoned?

I have a few.

First off, Ayreon. They're a pretty impressive progressive / ambient type of 'metal' group and when you're stoned everything just sort of...comes together more and it's really amazing.

Tool is another group, not metal, but the are rather complex, and that is ten-fold while stoned, cool effect. Their lyrics are also really interesting sober, and when you're high it paints very vivid images.

Electric Wizard is kind of an obvious choice, but still one of my favorite none the less. They sound so goddamn thick and heavy, it almost makes it feel like gravity is pushing down even harder on you than normal. The lyrics also, like Tool, paint very itneresting images that are easy to imagine under the influence.

Death Metal, particularly the technical DM style, is very enjoyable like this too. Everything sounds so much more complex and amazing and it just furthers your appreciation for the musicians skill. Nile, Necrophagist, Death....while they're not tech, Bolt Thrower is another good one.

I seem to be able to absorm much more of the music when I'm stoned. A lot of technical death metal definitly opens up to me in this state of mind, but my favorite band to listen to while ripped is Morbid Angel.

Yeah, that's what Iw as talking about with Death Metal....it's like you can just analyze it better, understand every chord and drum fill to a higher degree. It's quite an enjoyable experience.

I prefer to be captured in the emotion of the music, rather than the technicality. So, I recommend Negura Bunget.

I really love 'Choasphere' from Meshuggah. They have some pretty ridiculous patterns going on, fun to follow the chaos in your head when you're in the right mindset.

Non metal, nothing beats Sublime's 40oz to Freedom

The Beta Band. "The 3 E.P.'s" by the Beta Band, actually, and especially the 3rd of the three. Minimal folktronica, totally brilliant, the bass player is a god, and the vocal layering puts all forms of grandiose Power Metal overdubbing to shame. Second only to Radiohead in mixing great songwriting with trip value.

What else.... Fantomas, anything of theirs, and Mr. Bungle... really anything that Mike Patton is involved with. Ahhh... "Your Funeral, My Trial" and "From Her To Eternity" by Nick Cave, there's so many amazing stories and twisted rhythms and Blixa Bargeld is the greatest guitarist in the world. And speaking of Blixa, any of Einsturzende Neubauten's early-mid 80's stuff, although it's pretty fucking angular and unpleasant, but it will definately alter your brainwaves.

Oh yeah, and "Perdition City" by Ulver. It's the album that made me stop hating Saxophones.

As far as metal... maybe "La Masquerade Infernale" by Arcturus, although that album is a fucking brain adventure all by itself. And maybe "Cabinet" by Spawn of Possession.

And Sigur Ros, and Sparklehorse, and The Cardigans' "Gran Turismo", and anything at all by Aphex Twin, and almost anything at all by Massive Attack.

Jesus Christ, I smoke way too much weed.

The older instrumental songs from Pink Floyd (A saucerful of secrets for example) can be very weird while stoned.
Also Neurosis creates some vivid images when you're stoned (wtching the 'A sun that never sets' DVD after taking some mushrooms is a real trip!)

Other bands: Tarentel, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Explosions In The Sky, Tool, Dredg, Gordian Knot, Ozric Tentacles, Solefald, In The Woods, Cynic, Maudlin of the Well and 'Nine short films' by Billy Sheehan & Terry Bozzio.

:Smokin:

Hmmm, well eveything sounds better when your stoned :) I particularly enjoy erratic song structures and time changes in music when I'm stoned as it makes for a really instense listen. My favourites would be Meshuggah, Dillinger escape plan, The locust and The Fantomas. Explosions in the sky are fuckin ace to chill to when your stoned to :Smokin:

I like a lot of the slow shit like Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead.

Evergrey kinda sounded good to me too.

i dont want to sound like a traitor but Psychedelic Trance (Psytrance a.k.a Goa) is better when stoned, than metal :) maybe if one day they will come out with Psychedelic Metal :)

industrial is also good when stoned.

stoned mind likes clear, sharp sounds that are easy to latch onto, these are typically found in electronic music, not metal.

Used to smoke a lot, havnt smoked in a month in a half now, that stuff starts doing some bad stuff to you after a while, makes you parnoid as hell and just made me really depressed. I couldn't be around people cuz I would be too afraid to talk, and I couldn't be alone cuz I would feel like something was wrong with me for being alone. Anyways the one great thing about weed is it makes music awesome. Heres what I used to listen to all the time

Radiohead-Kid A
Opeth-Morningrise
Ulver-Lyckanthropean Themes
Enslaved-Below the Lights
A Silver Mount Zion-This is Our Punk Rock
Mira-Apart
The Doves-Lost Souls
Emperor-Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F#A# Infinity

crimsonfloyd said:
Used to smoke a lot, havnt smoked in a month in a half now, that stuff starts doing some bad stuff to you after a while, makes you parnoid as hell and just made me really depressed. I couldn't be around people cuz I would be too afraid to talk, and I couldn't be alone cuz I would feel like something was wrong with me for being alone. Anyways the one great thing about weed is it makes music awesome. Heres what I used to listen to all the time

I went through a similar thing last year as well, but it was because I was taking plenty of other "substances" as well. Soon as I stuck to weed only, it went away :)

I also enjoy electronic music when I'm stoned as well, Aphex twin, Squarepusher etc. are all good.

Mr. Bungle!!!

The first time i heard their s/t i was high and i couldnt stop laughing out loud at how fuckin rediculous it all was.

I don't really listen to them much but Opeth are pretty freakin' sweet to listen to while high, specially 'Still Life'. I'd have to agree with DM being great to listen to when high.

Ever been listening to an album and had an uncontrolable urge to smile like a dumb bastard? Don't happen much but some albums, Arch Enemy's 'Black Earth' and Enslaved's 'Monumension' & 'Below The Lights' never fail to but a huge smile on my face.