American Black Metal

SteveAwesome

Guilty of being SEXY
May 2, 2007
Hampton, Virginia
www.myspace.com
Got a little inspired by the Varg thread.

Scandinavia, particularly Norway has always been known as the hot bed for quality black metal, but in this new millenium, I make a bold statement that the US Black Metal scene has surpassed Norway as far as artists taking a more creative and listenable stance on black metal. Albums like Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger or Immortal's Pure Holocaust will always slay, but I think USBM is creeping up and will eventually steal the show. Lets look at some examples of USBM.

-Absu
-Leviathan
-Wolves in the Throne Room
-Xasthur
-Twilight
-Black Funeral

There are many, many others, but these are the ones that have really caught my attention and are all unlike anything I've ever heard in Norway. What do you guys think about the USBM scene?

Seeing WittR quite soon actually. I should maybe take the time to actually listen to an album :p

So North American Black metal eh?
Agalloch and Woods of Ypres are cool. Profugus Mortis (or Blackgaurd, whatever the fuck they are calling themselves) has a good live show, really fun to see, but their album is lacking, never went for their EP. I find the NABM is more just borrowing the grimdarkness, but its still a much more NA sound, and will always bee that. As far as creativity, there will always be something bigger better that comes along. Agalloch has its Folk roots, but its not Black/Folk the way you would think with Windir or something.

I'm awaiting the "untr00 balrahgrrbhra" shit this thread is going to unleash.
Alot say its anti-christian, or embracing ones homeland. It doesn't really work when the majority of NA (white people), are basically ancestors of people who left their home for whatever reasons...many of which came here and did very mean things to the locals to get that land :p.

Musically, it shouldn't matter. Of course.

I don't know much about American BM (or BM in general :p) but I think Absu are absolutley brilliant. I love The Sun of Tiphareth and Tara, but I haven't heard the new album yet...need to pick it up next time I'm at the record store.

Well I don't know many black metal bands from the USA, but here in Quebec we've got some pretty good black metal bands, here are the ones I like the most :

Gothërfall :

Malzera:

Symphazium :

Sadly, Gotherfall and Malzera have disbanded and Symphazium don't have anything out yet. But they are really good live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't listen to much black metal besides Behemoth and Dissection (both of which aren't really pure BM)

Scholomance <-symphonic black (split up)
Gravestorm
Wind of the Black Mountains <-crazy :kickass:
Profanatica
Averse Sefira
Somnus <- black gothic (split up)

The best I know about.

I've heard good things about Averse Sefira.

Absu, Leviathan, and Wolves in the Throne Room are all fucking sick as well.

I've also heard really good things about Nachtmystium.

If I recall, Zephyrus (the guy in GMD who knows a lot about BM) really likes them, I ain't sure. :V

I'm gonna have to check them out some time, there's still a bunch of really respected BM bands I haven't checked out.

Nicholas Cage's son is actually in a "Black Metal" band. But they just sound like a knock-off Dimmu Borgir, and are called "Eyes of Noctum". And he changed his name from Weston to Arcane.
http://www.myspace.com/eyesofnoctumofficial
I saw them live...complete and utter garbage. My buddy's band was playing the same show...check em out.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=35243175
Probably not tr00 black metal, whatever the fuck that is. They've got some folk influences. Good stuff imo.

There's a lot of band from Europe sharing similarities with the bands mentioned in the 1st port. A good example would be Darkspace / Paysage d'Hiver from Switzerland. There's also "A Forest Of Stars" from the UK which is starting to get known.

On-topic, I'm starting to get much more into WITTR these days, I only own so far the Diadem Of 12 Stars and I'm planning to get Two Hunters as well. Those kinds of bands are definitely growers.

The music from that commercial was so good, I googled the band's name but nothing I was looking for came up, sadly :(

Do you not find it a terrible thing you can't tell the difference between real black metal, and a 30 second song thrown together by KFC to sell chicken burgers?