American Black Metal

More or less the same already noticed, GBK, Von, Absu, Inquisition, JI stopped, Xasthur, Azrael, Noctuary, Demoncy, a bit Gnostic anyway, etc ...

I haven't heard any other Sacrophagus. None of the WOTBM is particularly good, i don't think. you can get by without them quite nicely. there is no reason for Judas Iscariot to have ever existed.

Averse Sefira are likely the all around best. Weakling's Dead as Dreams and Demoncy's Joined In Darkness struck me as exceptional as well, though the latter is on the fringe of noise at times. The problem with most USBM is that it's just comfortable rehashing material over and over; setting small feet in larger footprints, as it were (See: Thornspawn, Summon, Xasthur, etc.)

Question for GoD: Is Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost in the same vain of JiD?

Astral Poetry said:
Averse Sefira are likely the all around best. Weakling's Dead as Dreams and Demoncy's Joined In Darkness struck me as exceptional as well, though the latter is on the fringe of noise at times. The problem with most USBM is that it's just comfortable rehashing material over and over; setting small feet in larger footprints, as it were (See: Thornspawn, Summon, Xasthur, etc.)

Question for GoD: Is Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost in the same vain of JiD?

The first half is excellent, better than Joined in Darkness. Blasting sections combined with slow, doomy passages which give it quite a demonic atmosphere and an epic quality. The second half is a bit more dirty and a bit less epic - not as good, but still not bad.

I find that the problem with most American black metal is that it is too one dimensional, not enough musical depth can be found as opposed to Euro bands.

Ivan the terrible said:
I find that the problem with most American black metal is that it is too one dimensional, not enough musical depth can be found as opposed to Euro bands.

There are plenty that have depth though.

GBK are somewhat original, at least in terms of black metal (I would actually say they are almost blackened death). I find it lame when American bands immitate a European style, like Xanthur does.

Do you also find it lame when a European band immitates another European band?

Just because a band is from Europe, doesn't mean they have the sole rights to a specific style. And European clones are just as annoying as American clones.

And why is one country (America) constantly compared to an entire continent (Europe)?

It is my opinion that overall, American bands have always been better than European bands, with some exceptions(Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, etc.).

*ducks behind sandbags*