Amon Amarth Crushes \m/ Album Poll

#1 Amon Amarth Album!!!!!!!! (2005 & Before)

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2005
:headbang: Hails Mighty Amon Amarth Hordes...
This thread was created a few weeks ago by myself, on a bunch of other forums, as noted here in the AMON AMARTH RULES \m/ Thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213637
So of course you know they slay...YOU'RE HERE!:kickass:
I'll just leave it as is:

AMON AMARTH - VIKING DEATH METAL
12.jpg

amonamarth_band_2800.jpg

From Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe.
swedish%20flag.jpg

Amon Amarth Full Discography

cover-1104339461.jpg

1993 Thor Arise
(Demo)

arrivalcover.gif

1994 Arrival Of The Fimbul Winter
(Demo)

sttnw.JPG

1996 Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds
(Mini CD)

osftgh.JPG

1997 Once Sent From The Golden Hall

ta.JPG

1999 The Avenger

TheCrusher.jpg

2001 The Crusher

VsTheWorld03.jpg

2002 Versus The World
(Incl. Reissues Limited Bonus CD- Some Tracks From Demos & STTNW)

fon.jpg

2004 Fate Of Norns
(Incl. Live Limited Bonus CD: Live At Grand RokkReykjavik 2004)

Amon Amarth Websites
Official Amon Amarth Band HQ:
http://www.amonamarth.com

Official Amon Amarth MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/amonamarth

Official Amon Amarth Label - Metalblade Records:
http://www.metalblade.com/

Official Amon Amarth Band Forum @ Ultimate Metal:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=232

Official Amon Amarth Regional Metal Home @ Nocturnal Horde:
http://www.nocturnalhorde.com/forums/

Official Amon Amarth National Metal Home @ Swedish Metal:
http://www.swedishmetal.net/

Full & Fully Downloadable Videos From Their Official Site
(Right-Click, Save As)

Death In Fire from 2002 Versus The World
Or LO Version

Pursuit Of The Vikings from 2004 Fate Of Norns

*You can watch them both here, as well:
http://music.yahoo.com/ar-271748-videos--Amon-Amarth

Full & Fully Downloadable MP3s From Their Official Site
(Right-Click, Save As)

Ride For Vengeance from 1997 Once Sent From The Golden Hall

Metalwrath from 1999 The Avenger

Masters Of War from 2001 The Crusher

Death In Fire from 2002 Versus The World

An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm from 2004 Fate Of Norns

More Downloadable & Playable MP3s @ The Official Amon Amarth MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/amonamarth
All Presently From 1997 Once Sent From The Golden Hall:
Victorious March
Friends Of The Suncross
Thousand Years Of Oppression

BLAST AWAY!!!

Amon Amarth Members

Johan Hegg - Vocals

Olli Mikkonen - Guitar

Johan Söderberg- Guitar

Ted Lundström - Bass

Fredrik Andersson - Drums

Here's a couple writeups about Amon Amarth:

[url=http://www.metalblade.com/bands/Amon_Amarth/index2005.html]www.metalblade.com[/url] said:
Since their humble start in 1992 as an underground band from Tumba, a suburb in southern Stockholm, AMON AMARTH have managed to establish themselves as one of Europe's top death metal acts through hard work, relentless touring, and consistently solid albums. "In the beginning it was just fun to play in our own band with our own songs, and getting a gig at the local youth recreation center was a goal big enough," recalls guitarist and main songwriter Olli Mikkonen. "Of course, goals change as you fulfill them. I always thought we had something special going on, it was just matter of time to convince everyone else."

What has set AMON AMARTH apart from the rest of the death metal scene since the very beginning, is their use of Viking mythology and imagery in lyrics and artwork, as well as a talent for writing epic, memorable melodies, which underline their solemn yet barbaric approach to heavy music. "For me the 'Viking theme' and the Norse mythology is more a philosophy of life", explains singer Johan Hegg. "It's a topic we all can stand for and that I think appeals to a lot of people, even though it also meant we had to fight a lot of prejudices. Especially here in Sweden where the stereotypical view is that people who sing about the Viking heritage are racists. I think we made the right choice though, and I think our music and our lyrics are very closely connected. They suit each other perfectly!"

The band went through the usual demo recordings and line-up changes in the beginning stages, but soon made its first mark with the MCD "Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds". A one-off affair with (of all places) Singapore's Pulverized Records, this MCD did not only plant AMON AMARTH's flag in the underground metal landscape, but also gained the band a multi-album deal with the renowned Metal Blade Records. The recording sessions for "Sorrow..." also turned out to be the beginning of a fruitful working relationship with Peter Tägtgren at his Abyss Studios, a relationship that would last until Tägtgren's "retirement" from producing in the year 2001.

"Once Sent From The Golden Hall", the group's Metal Blade debut, was released in 1998, and saw the band touring with such genre greats as Deicide, Six Feet Under, and Brutal Truth. The same year, drummer Martin Lopez left the band to pursue a career with Opeth, being replaced by Fredrik Andersson (previously in A Canarous Quintet). This would be the last line-up change in the band's career. With a steady formation and an admirable work ethic, AMON AMARTH went on to record and release the albums "The Avenger"
(1999) and "The Crusher" (2001) within a time period of two years, touring the European continent extensively in support of these releases. Sharing the stage with the likes of Morbid Angel, Marduk, and Vader, and touring the US for the first time in 2002, the band developed their live act into an unstoppable force, which by now has become one of the pillars of their ever-growing popularity.

Following a glorious gig at Wacken 2002, the band went into Berno Studios to record "Versus The World", an album where all the elements that comprise the band's style, sound, and essence fell right into place. AMON AMARTH toured incessantly to promote this album (3 American and 2 European tours, no less), the press woke up to their qualities, and legions of followers put the band on one level with those acts who had dominated the scene for years on end.

"Fate Of Norns", Amon Amarth's new album, was again recorded at Berno Studios. When asked about the difference between it and their previous efforts, Mikkonen said: "However clichéd it might sound, I have to say the difference is stronger songs. Johan Söderberg contributed to the songwriting much more this time than on previous albums, which gives the songs a new touch and a new vision. We also left a few songs unfinished until we entered the studio just to get a chance to improvise and try out different stuff, as well as getting another point of view on the songs, in this case from Berno Paulsson, the main guy at Berno studio. We put much more energy in the production than we've done before."

A heavy and majestic offering, "Fate Of Norns" will thrill the fans and win over many more. The band will again tour extensively, for the first time enjoying a hard-earned headliner status in Europe. "As I see it, we still have much more to give," concludes Mikkonen, "and, as long as we are hungry, we will continue to do what we love: Play metal in AMON AMARTH!"
[url=http://www.amonamarth.com/biography.html]www.amonamarth.com[/url] said:
Deeply rooted in death metal with firm beliefs in Viking mythology, AMON AMARTH formed in 1992 in Tumba, Sweden, a southern suburb of Stockholm. They began writing material with lots of melodies, harmonies and lyrics about Vikings and the northern gods. In summer 1993 they entered Lagret Studio to record the never released demo "Thor Arise". The band continued to rehearse and writing stronger material and again entered the studio. The result was the second demo "The Arrival Of The Fimbul Winter". This time the band was much more satisfied with the sound and songs and launched it to an unsuspecting underground. The response was overwhelming, quickly selling out of the first pressing and secured them a one off deal with Singapore's Pulverised Records.

This time they decided to use Abyss Studio, owned by Peter Tägtgren of Hypocrisy, and during five days in November 1995 the MCD "Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds" was recorded. The five track recording contained three new songs plus two re-recorded tracks from the band's second demo. The MCD was released in April 1996 and continued the band's build to world dominance. June 1996 saw the exiting of drummer Nico who was quickly replaced with Martin Lopez. During this time labels began to show interest and after much consideration the band chose to sign with Metal Blade. In March 1997 AMON AMARTH entered again Abyss Studios to record their Metal Blade debut "Once Sent From The Golden Hall" with Peter Tägtgren. The result proved that they were destined to become force of fury in the Swedish Death Metal scene and beyond.

After the recording of "Once sent...", guitarist Anders Hansson quit just a month before their first major tour with Deicide, Six Feet Under and Brutal Truth in June 98. They quickly recruited Johan Söderberg to make the line-up complete. The line-up was now solidified. "The Avenger" was recorded at Abyss Studios Sweden February to March 1999. Produced by the band, the seven track album is a lesson in pure Viking aggression and brutality blurring the line between death and black metal. The tour following this release was the X-mas massacre festivals, headlined by Morbid Angel.

In November 2000 the band entered The Abyss Studio for, as it would turn out, the last time. This time they recorded the album "The Crusher" (released in 2001). Living up to it's name, "The Crusher", the album is the most brutal album the band has produced so far. This release gave Amon Amarth the opportunity to tour a lot more than before and right after the recording they went on their first headlining tour through Denmark and Germany with Purgatory and Seirim. That tour ended up with great succes and they also managed to be the first metal band entering the German stages for the century. 00.05, 01 of January in 2001 in Guben. Then they went on the No Mercy Festivals 2001 with bands like Marduk and Vader. In the fall of 2001, AMON AMARTH was supposed to support Marduk on their American tour, but due to the events of September 11th, that tour was postponed until January 2002, and if that wasn't enough, Marduk couldn't make it over to the states. So AMON AMARTH got to headline their very first US tour, supported by Diabolic from Tampa, FL. The tour was a huge success, but unfortunately the tour agency decided to cut the tour short with one week. Returning to Europe, AMON AMARTH was offered the possibility to headline their own full European tour, and in April 2002 they went on the road together with Swedish "gore-masters" Vomitory. During the tour the band kept writing new material for an upcoming album.

August 2002 started with the bands second appearance at Wacken Open Air. Approximately 12 000 people saw the show, and the response was overwhelming. Almost going straight from Wacken to the Studio, AMON AMARTH began recording their new album "Versus the World" on August 7th. This time, however, the band had to use a new studio, since Peter no longer produces or records any bands, except his own, in his studio. The choice fell on Berno Studio in Malmö, and it turned out to be a great choice. Berno Studio has a great reputation in the scene and AMON AMARTH found it to be very easy to work with both Berno (owner, engineer) and Henrik (engineer). Recording in a new studio gave new dimensions to the bands sound. During the recording, the band managed to squeeze in a trip to Germany and the Summer Breeze festival, where they made a successful appearance. The new album is set to be released on November 18th, and proves to be a milestone in the bands career.

I do a lot of promos for noteworthy extreme metal bands, mostly underground ones, but this one is for the top ranked band in the world, I think, and they'd be my #1 band, for sure, but like all them, it's only out of personal interest, as always, and I think that should be reminded. This took many hours, but it was worth the time, so I hope it's worth yours to check them out and otherwise contribute. I did up an Amon Amarth mixtape the other day, finally, and it goes toe to toe with any band mix that could be made, man. So many wicked tracks to choose from... It is so freakin intense, strong and excellent! Anyways, check out some of these MP3s and their sites to get acquainted, if somehow you've missed out on them thus far, or are missing anything. Any True Extreme Metaller knows Amon Amarth like the back of their hand. There is no band that intertwines Extreme Death Metal within Viking Pagan Folk themery so well as Amon Amarth. Above's a full barrage, please vote on your fave album, and discuss at will...

I'm going with The Avenger as best album, although I think their earliest stuff is the best, but the recording is somewhat lower quality, like most other bands doing demos. A lotta people give Fate Of Norns flak, but I think it's still wicked, I ranked it high on my 2004 top albums list at #6, but I would put everything else ahead of it, but it's still very much kickass and worthwhile, for sure, but admittedly a small letdown. Their next one should be coming not too far off, hopefully, as it's been a couple years just about, heavily looked forward to from over here, of course... Along with The Avenger, I would say the other top works are Versus The World, The Crusher, and Once Sent From The Golden Hall, but also those demos are classic as hell, and very extreme, just poorly recorded, that's all, if you can siphon through it. It'd slay to see them redone at some point, containing a slew of their best, and all. Also, the bonus Live with Norns is pretty killer, but better recording production might be attainable, maybe as an official album, not a limited... My favorite tracks are Masters Of War, Army Of Darkness, Versus The World, The Avenger, The Last With Pagan Blood, Pursuit Of The Vikings, Bloodshed, The Sound Of Eight Hooves, A Fury Divine, North Sea Storm, Metalwrath, Ride For Vengeance, Death In Fire, Victorious March, An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm, Once Sent From The Golden Hall, Amon Amarth, Without Fear, The Dragon's Flight Across The Waves, Burning Creation, Under A Greyclouded Sky, Thor Arise, the Black Sabbath cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, man, many of them for sure... I think it's also cool that Amon Amarth reaches so many kinds of Metallers, including obviously Extreme, like Death and Black especially, since many consider them Viking Death/Black, as well, but also Thrash, Grind, and even Power Metallers, Progressive Metallers, and Metallers that are Rockers, too. They reach a lot of people. Can't wait to see them in Canada!! Amon Amarth comes from the greatest metal scene in the world - Scandinavia, that is very tight with the roots there, very extreme metal, and tons of bands. You can even take Metal in University there hahahaha.... A lot of scenes rival certain points that make up the quality of a scene, but I'd say Scandinavia rules all around, and is the True backbone. I find them the most enjoyavble extreme metal band there is, very well rounded, very true, very wicked....
So, yeah, I go:
THE AVENGER!!!!!!!!!!!
AMON AMARTH CRUSH 'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!
:kickass:
Vote your fave album & Post your thoughts! Crush On!!! \m/

Fimbul-Winter said:
hey man i think we all know the history and discography........
I'm sure of that, too, as I put in the start of that thread...
I already had all this done up for the Amon Amarth threads on other metal forums, so I just left it, for the hell of it...

\m/

I would say The Avenger is their best, but you have Versus the World with the bonus disc. It doesn't get any better than a bonus disc with their 3 first sets of recordings on them PLUS Victorious March!

aaah.. victorious march.. i voted OSFTGH, and not only because victourious march is on that album haha. And just like everybody it was difficult to choose; vs. the world is a great album, the avenger.. fate of norns is their worst album (still kickass..), but the dvd is a must have

I agree, Fate of the Norns isn't nearly as good as the other albums. It really is good because I like the slower death metal. But after hearing all the faster paced songs by them, I love their older work.

genaatloos said:
i hope the new album will be faster.. just how they did in their first albums
I agree there. Theyve done lots of solid Death lately, and lots of it there is...
I'd love to see more of a return to earlier Viking Death/Black Metal form, for totally sure, but hell, whatever comes is gonna rule to me anyways...
:headbang:

I voted OSFTGH. Vs the World wins if you consider the bonus disk but that's just an unfair advantage.

with much agony i voted VS the World feeling bad for Once Sent... i'd of voted without hesitation for VS cause of the bonus disk featuring "sorrow.." but i decided to disregard that cause as other people said, thats an unfair advantage.
now that i see VS has 41% and Once sent only 19% i feel i should have voted for Once Sent cause it should be tied with VS :D

versus the world is still their best!
strange to include the demos in an album poll..