Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Versus The World

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Fate Of Norns

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
Sitting here listening to "Victorious March" and read JayKeeley's review of the Once Sent From The Golden Hall review. Great stuff by the way, man. However, one factual clarification, Lopez left the band before The Avenger, not after. He only appeared on this album, not even the EP.

Anyhoo, like BOLT THROWER, I have all of their cds and I'm curious to see what everyone grabs when they are in the mood for brews, blood and battle. The new one is great, I love the song (can't remember the title right now) that has somewhat of a blastbeat.

Awesome band. I should have the new one any day now.

My favorite will always be Once Sent From the Golden Hall, no surprse as it was my intro to the band. It has it's own sound to me. The repeating riffs (absent on later material) just built tremendously throughout. My favorite tracks from the album are "Amon AMarth" and "Friends of the Suncross".

The Avenger is also quite good, having the best song they've written, "The Last With Pagan Blood". The first song on The Avenger is also excellent, but the rest just fails to really capture me.

The debut EP is also excellent. After Once Sent, I think this is their strongest material.

The Crusher is their worst IMO. It has one really good song, and the rest are just mediocre.

Versus the World was a step up, but still didn't blow me away like the older stuff. I liked the bonus disc more than the actual album.

Hopefully Fate of Norns will impress me like Once Sent always will.

Sorrow throughout the nine worlds
The bright god is gone
Sent to Nifelheim (!?!?!?!? Learn your mythology please :))
By the deceitful

a great band indeed and i'm eagerly awaiting the new albums with the dvd.

i've never understood why so many people praise the OSFtGH really, it's not at all as interesting as the crusher and avenger, though "friends of the suncross" is one of their best songs. the first EP has two really good songs i think, the rest is simply "good".

Erik said:
Sent to Nifelheim (!?!?!?!? Learn your mythology please :))
hehe never noticed they sang that; how clumsy (great song though)

i prefer the more melodious crusher and avenger, which have better production, riffing and compositions, but i can't choose one favourite of those to so i'll abstain from voting.

VS was good but too slow :|

I feel OSFTGH and Versus the World are their strongest albums, The Avenger has a few good songs and the best songs on The Crusher are the first 3. I haven't listened to the first EP in a while, and Fate of Norns has been addictive but not really great.

Papa Josh said:
Sitting here listening to "Victorious March" and read JayKeeley's review of the Once Sent From The Golden Hall review. Great stuff by the way, man. However, one factual clarification, Lopez left the band before The Avenger, not after. He only appeared on this album, not even the EP.

OK thanks, I'll make that correction.

I like the new material from Fate of Norns a lot, a real throwback to days of old. Nothing melo-poppy like "Death in Fire" etc. Don't get me wrong, I thought Versus the World was an overall marked improvement upon the previous two releases, but then we are talking Amon Amarth here and it's all pretty consistent:

1. Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds EP
2. Once Sent - I firmly believe that the drumming on this is a standout
3. Versus the World
4. The Avenger
5. The Crusher

Fave songs, "Burning Creation" and of course "Victorious March".

Has anyone seen them play live? The power of "Victorious March" live is like being hit by a brick wall....

J. said:
Hmmm, I've always felt that the band was at its strongest when slowing things down instead of constant double-bass.
agreement.jpeg

I opened this thread to vote for ...And So the Night Became as my favorite, but then slowly realized that's Aeternus, not Amon Amarth. I've heard several AA songs and I loved them, but have yet to hear an entire album.

Bye.

JayKeeley said:
[/size]

Has anyone seen them play live? The power of "Victorious March" live is like being hit by a brick wall....
Three times. All some of the best gigs I've been to. Olli and Fredrik know me quite well by now and will always come up to me and chat if they see me.

J. said:
Hmmm, I've always felt that the band was at its strongest when slowing things down instead of constant double-bass.

nah i'm with eric on that one, when they really pick up speed like on "bastards of a lying breed" and "fury divine" then their at their best.
but still, "the sound of eight hooves" is perhaps top 3 of all their songs... oh wel

none's mentioned johan's voice yet which i think is one of the best within death metal, that massive rumbling of his on VS really lifts the entire record

I'll agree there, the voice helps keep Versus from becoming an ordinary melodeath release despite its occasional lapses, along with the emphasis on slower tempos which suit the band better (still no argument on that one). Still need to hear the new one...

I think Andersson should vary his drumming a bit.

EDIT: I am paying more attention to his cymbal usage and such and I guess he does do quite well, and the constant double bass does fit their style.

Amon Amarth rules. I'm starting to really enjoy Once Sent From the Golden Hall although I never preferred it in the past.

I'll pick up the new album as soon as I see the Limited version available so I get the live DVD or whatever it is.

Also, Martin Lopez is a very distinctive drummer, great style and probably one of my favorites. His performance is top notch on OSftGH.