Amon Amarth teach how to make mead!

That vid is fantastic, these Guys are freakin funny. ^^

hey Gnoff... what do you think of Exporting your Mead to germany? its EU, you know... ;) I would love to try it!!!

hey Gnoff... what do you think of Exporting your Mead to germany? its EU, you know... ;) I would love to try it!!!

well...

A few points:
I brew at home, so it's legal for me to drink it myself and to give it away to people close to me. It's very illegal to sell it.

Other than that, shipping for glass with liquids runs quite high, even within Sweden, even more so to the rest of Europe.
Estimated cost to send one 33 cl bottle, shipping only, is about 15 Euro.

On top of all that, I don't brew more than perhaps 10 liter each time, so it all gets used up at home, more or less ;)

However, come and visit me in Göteborg and I'll make sure you get to taste some ;)

I want to try do this at home...
What is about the time, its really 6 months ?

Fermentation is usually complete within 2 to 4 weeks, depending on how much honey per water ratio, and on the selected yeast.

I then siphon the mead to a secondary vessel, for clearing purposes and if wanted to kill the yeast.

Then it's ready for drinking, though it usually needs some maturing to be really nice.

I've tasted meads straight from secondary, a few months old up to well over 15 years old and age does mellow it a lot.

So when you put it in secondary... fermentation stops?. So no risk of gases still building up and making bottles explode?

Can you put it on clean grolsch style bottles (the ones with the "hermetic" spring top) and let it mature then?

Sorry Gnoff, you are probably wishing you never told us about being an experienced brewer :lol::lol::lol:

So when you put it in secondary... fermentation stops?. So no risk of gases still building up and making bottles explode?

Can you put it on clean grolsch style bottles (the ones with the "hermetic" spring top) and let it mature then?

Sorry Gnoff, you are probably wishing you never told us about being an experienced brewer :lol::lol::lol:

Well, usually you wait until fermentation is complete before you put it in secondary.
It might ferment a little bit longer, so you should use a similar device as for primary fermentation.

In secondary you may also, in mead and wine - not beer, use something called "jässtopp" which would translate into "yeast stop".
Basically some additives that kills off the yeast.

After secondary you rack your mead into its final container, usually bottles of some kind.

When using the patent cork (bügel/plopp) bottles, I always do the following:
Remove the rubber "gasket" from the poreclain, check that it is not dired or cracked.
Sanitize the gasket in a chlorine solution or using boilng water.
Place the clean and dry bottles in a room temperature oven.
Start the oven and let it heat to about 130 C.
Leave the heat on for 15-30 minutes.
Shut off the oven and let the bottles cool.
Replace the rubber gasket.
Fill the bottles from your secondary vessel using a sanitized siphon.
Close the patent cork.
Store the bottles.

If you wish you can store them cold in the beginning, to make even more sure the fermentation will not continue on bottle.

But to make the age process work best I'd say, if possible, store the bottles in 12 to 14 C.
Warmer is OK, ageing will go faster, colder is not derired as ageing will be slow.

@ Gnoff

Thank you so much for all the infos...
If I understood right, I can stop the yeast, without a "yeast stop" ?
I only need to change the bottle and let this "yeast" in the first one, right ?

I ask, because I have no idea, where I can buy a "yeast stop" in Germany :lol:

I will begin with the "Experiment" soon... :heh:

@ Gnoff

Thank you so much for all the infos...
If I understood right, I can stop the yeast, without a "yeast stop" ?
I only need to change the bottle and let this "yeast" in the first one, right ?

I ask, because I have no idea, where I can buy a "yeast stop" in Germany :lol:

I will begin with the "Experiment" soon... :heh:

No problem :)

Yes, you can do without yeast stop.

I might repeat myself, but still :p

1) Ferment until it's done
2) Siphon to secondary, leave for a week
3) Siphon to bottles

If you do want a yeast stop, go to a store which sells stuff to make your own wine, they should have some for sure.