Among the living

whitey131

May 2, 2005
I was listening to this last night at the gym. It sounds like they soert of doubled Joey's voice on alot of it. I noticed it before but never thought much of it. I saw Joey at the second Chicago show and his voice sounded pretty full to me so I'm wondering if they did it just because they though it sounded cooler or maybe the recording equiptment they had at the time sucked.

they most likely used two mics, one up close, and another further away and had them on separate tracks. It makes it sound more like they do live.

Karina_666 said:
they most likely used two mics, one up close, and another further away and had them on separate tracks. It makes it sound more like they do live.
I understand the practice, it just seemed odd given the quality of Joey's voice.

Thank god we have Ed on the board. Other wise people would never notice things about themselves. So three cheers to you Edward!

Almost every single record has atleast 2 vocal tracks. most of them have 2 or more. I would not doubt for one second they used multiple tracks. Why you ask? It is just the way it is. Everyone does it. Same reason most bands have a billion guitar tracks. Not needed at all, but they do it anyway.

if you blend them correctly, it makes them sound thicker. On SOWN, Scott recorded three guitar tracks per song, one down the middle, one on the left speaker, one strictly on the right. You can use slightly different tones to make it sound more dynamic. If you recorded the way they are set up live, it would sound really thin and incomplete.

Karina_666 said:
if you blend them correctly, it makes them sound thicker. On SOWN, Scott recorded three guitar tracks per song, one down the middle, one on the left speaker, one strictly on the right. You can use slightly different tones to make it sound more dynamic. If you recorded the way they are set up live, it would sound really thin and incomplete.
Then what did Dan record on SOWN? If scott has left,middle,right speakers then what is the point of Dan doing any guitar tracks, except for leads.(shows what i know about production)

jpike said:
I've always thought the quality and production of "among" is horrible but you cant argue the fact that its one of the best thrash albums ever!
I'll agree there. I listened to that tape from Chicago to St. Paul once.

Thrillho said:
Almost every single record has atleast 2 vocal tracks. most of them have 2 or more. I would not doubt for one second they used multiple tracks. Why you ask? It is just the way it is. Everyone does it. Same reason most bands have a billion guitar tracks. Not needed at all, but they do it anyway.
We did it on our CD we just recorded becuase our vocalists aren't great.

apparently, Dan doesn't play rhythm on the albums, just like Kirk Hammett didn't play rhythm on any metallica records until load. I think Mustaine might do all the rhythm shit for Megadeth, although I heard Chris Poland did his own tracks for that back in the day.

Karina_666 said:
apparently, Dan doesn't play rhythm on the albums, just like Kirk Hammett didn't play rhythm on any metallica records until load. I think Mustaine might do all the rhythm shit for Megadeth, although I heard Chris Poland did his own tracks for that back in the day.

Not uncommon at all

yeah that's retarded. I'd rather hear the whole band play what they have to play. The guitar sound on SOWN was way too overbearing. I agree there needs to be more then one guitar track - but that is just too damn much. I read an interview a ways back where Scott even said he didn't like it either. It was an experiment and it didn't turn out as well as it was intended.

Karina_666 said:

I thought I read Scott saying he recorded SIX guitar tracks for SOWN.

NP: In Flames - The Jester Race