Amorphis - Eclipse . . . continued

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I couldn't find the old thread.

So I've been listening to this quite a bit these last couple of days. This is VERY good. I know some of you gay homosexuals don't think its so great, but this shit is solid. I do agree that it has a bit of a mainstream feel to it, but I don't mind that. All bands can't just run in place. Amorphis has always changed from album to album. I can't imagine this every getting popular in the US, though.

Lot's of that 70's feel that Far From the Sun had, more keyboards in the style of Elegy (no I didn't say this was like elegy, just some of the keyboard parts), and the singing is just grand.

This will easily be one of my favorite releases of the year.

That review might be a little more positive than I would have been. I wouldn't even call it a return to form in any way. Its more of a "new energy" the band found with this new singer or something. I feel that this album is just a huge step forward for the band, and that's why I don't like using the term "return to form".

Nate The Great said:
That review might be a little more positive than I would have been. I wouldn't even call it a return to form in any way. Its more of a "new energy" the band found with this new singer or something. I feel that this album is just a huge step forward for the band, and that's why I don't like using the term "return to form".

I didn't think I'd be that excited about it at first, but the more I listened to it, the more I enjoyed it. I guess we disagree to a certain extent, though. There's definitely new energy, as you said, but at the same time I think it is a return to form for 'em. I don't know whether I like Eclipse better than Tuonela or not. I'd have to revisit the latter regularly, get a firmer grip on it since it's been a while. Oh well, at any rate, great Amorphis record. :kickass:

The first four songs of Silent Waters are ok by me. I kinda get disinterested after that. You might like it all though, I dunno.

a little late...

Eclipse and Silent Waters are supreme listening. what a revitalized band. they ditch pasi koskinen and suddenly they are interesting again.

Ok, so to those who like 'Silent Waters', does it offer anything that I don't already have with 'Eclipse', or is it just more of the same? I listened to SW once, and it sounded good enough, but it would take me a lot more listens to figure out if it's different from/superior to 'Eclipse', so I figured it would just be easier to ask here.

For reference, I think 'Elegy' is one of the landmark albums of 90s metal, but then they went slowly downhill from there, to the point where I never even listened to 'Far From the Sun'. Then 'Eclipse' was one of my (surprise) favorite albums from last year, where I totally agree with the 'revitalized' comments here. So do I need SW, or would I just end up always choosing 'Eclipse' to listen to anyway?

Neil

For reference, I think 'Elegy' is one of the landmark albums of 90s metal, but then they went slowly downhill from there, to the point where I never even listened to 'Far From the Sun'. Then 'Eclipse' was one of my (surprise) favorite albums from last year, where I totally agree with the 'revitalized' comments here.

Agreed 100%.

So do I need SW, or would I just end up always choosing 'Eclipse' to listen to anyway?

Truth be known, I've never really given SW a good chance simply because it sounded like Eclipse leftovers. :erk:

yes, it is more of the same from Eclipse, which means great songs, great vocals, and an overall great album.

truth be told, i think silent waters is a bit better.

yeah, other than the 1st song, and the title track, Far From the Sun isnt worth hearing. their worst.

I prefer Eclipse to Silent Waters. The former is definitely heavier overall, so expect a less jarring experience with the latter.

Yep, Silent Waters is awesome, I also think it's even better than Eclipse. What I really like about this album is that it sounds so damn enthusiastic and honest from the beggining till the end. Nothing is forced and it goes smooth and natural all the way. And Juotsens vocals are fucking ace.