Amorphis - Eclipse -- well well, 2006 is off to a flying start!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Outstanding album. Probably on my 3rd listen since last night. What a complete return to form, but most importantly WELL WRITTEN SONGS!! The new singer is awesome (real strength, singing from his gut sorta thing).

Great combination in styles now as well.

Think (in order of obvious influences):

Amorphis (as you know them from Elegy/Tuonela - including very occasional growls)

+

Gary Moore (yep, lots of heavy rock celtic influence a la "Over the Hills and Far Away") - some of the songs here could be a 'sequel' of sorts

+

The Cult ("Sonic Temple" era, just fantastic pedal point riffs blasting out their Les Pauls)

+

Anathema
(just a touch of "Alternative" 4 era style)

STANDOUT SONGS:

"House of Sleep" -- yes, yes, YEEES!!!
"Leaves Scar" -- if this song does not make you do this -> :kickass: you are gay, dead, and lying
"Brother Moon" -- holy shit!!!
"Empty Opening" -- yikes!

But seriously, the whole album is great.

I think even those who didn't like previous Amorphis (e.g. NAD) should dig this.

Hey Nate - someone got a promo and shared it with me, but I guaran-f'ing-tee that I'm buying this on the day it comes out.

Oh and by the way, when I say Gary Moore, obviously I'm talking about his post-Thin Lizzy metal days, not his blues era.

Only 1 listen through, but 1st impressions:

- Brother Moon indeed deserves the "ruleage" tag
- far, far better than "Far Away the Sun," which almost goes without saying
- reminds me more of latter-day Sentenced than anything else, i.e. Depeche Mode pop-metal w/ some growls
- semi-indifferent to the album as a whole, I'll decide after a few more listens, but certainly not blown away. I would've loved this in 2000 though.

Erik said:
well it's no elegy

or tuonela

or tales from the thousand lakes

or karelian isthmus

I don't even need to have ever heard Elegy or Tuonela to know this to be true.

Really, I don't get why the last Sentenced album would be universally met w/ "meh" and this revered? They're very similar IMO.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I don't even need to have ever heard Elegy or Tuonela to know this to be true.

Really, I don't get why the last Sentenced album would be universally met w/ "meh" and this revered? They're very similar IMO.
you have a point that this is similar to newer sentenced, but the songwriting is better... it's more like the GOOD songs by new sentenced ("broken", "noose"... uh... ya)

Erik said:
you have a point that this is similar to newer sentenced, but the songwriting is better... it's more like the GOOD songs by new sentenced ("broken", "noose"... uh... ya)

Yes, I would agree with that. While I don't love the album by any stretch, it's definitely more worthwhile than "The Funeral Album," or whatever it was called, lol

JayKeeley said:
Hey Nate - someone got a promo and shared it with me, but I guaran-f'ing-tee that I'm buying this on the day it comes out.

Oh and by the way, when I say Gary Moore, obviously I'm talking about his post-Thin Lizzy metal days, not his blues era.

I will definitely be buying it. I don't listen to very many promos anymore. I just send them on to get reviewed. I'd buy this, even if I was getting the promo (which I'm not).