Amp for bedroom use (Practice & Recording)

Siguros

Jul 30, 2011
Newport, UK
Hi guys, don't think I've ever made a thread here yet!

I've just sold my Peavey Classic 30 which was way too loud to use at home and I often had neighbours or parents complaining about how loud it was before I got past 1... :bah:

So I'm looking at picking a new amp for bedroom/recording use, I don't really play much metal ironically...
I'm starting to play a lot more blues but the amp will mainly be used for recording ambient/post-rock type music,
think Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Maybeshewill and Moving Mountains.

So far I've narrowed it down to;

Fender Super Champ X2 (Head/cab or combo)
VHT Super 6 Head/Cab
Laney Cub 8 or the Cub 12r

I'm really liking all 3 of the amps, the VHT can be used at 3W and the Cubs can be used at 1W which seem ideal...
but the Fender has the best clean tones and the voices sound pretty damn good to me.
I can't make my mind up :yell:

Help please!

If you're worried about loudness, maybe buy a Palmer PDI-06 or other loadbox and use whatever amp you want. My guess is you're going to get better, more consistent tones going direct with a loadbox and impulses (or the Palmer's speaker simulator output) than trying to mic up a quieter amp in a bedroom.

If you're worried about loudness, maybe buy a Palmer PDI-06 or other loadbox and use whatever amp you want. My guess is you're going to get better, more consistent tones going direct with a loadbox and impulses (or the Palmer's speaker simulator output) than trying to mic up a quieter amp in a bedroom.

I don't really fancy getting a power soak, too expensive and I'm not sure if it'll make much of a difference as I won't want to be driving the amp anyway.

I would like to go direct, my input sounds crap direct though and I still need to pick an amp for playing with friends! So one that fits both needs would be nice.

I think I'm going to try out the Fender SCX2 and see how I like it.

there's a small Hughes & kettner iv'e seen in a shop somewhere but i can't remember which one...

also there's this vox which i used to own and sounds really nice

+1 for the vox valvetronix.
I have the 50w version which has a power option that lets you go down to 15w or something like that.
Fairly good tones too.

My 5150 3 50watt sounds awesome at low levels and it has fender cleans. Loaded with features, best amp I've ever owned. Got rid of my Retco and Fender blues jr.

Get a Pod and some headphones.

Lol, I'm okay thanks I'd rather have a real amp as well as a cheaper option like DI box or a new interface with nice pre's than get a POD.

Cheers for the suggestions though guys, I'm thinking of selling my Saffire LE or giving it to my brother if he wants it and picking up a Saffire PRO 24 DSP or a Profire 610, otherwise just getting a countryman type 85 and sticking it through my LE and DI'ing when I need to record and I'm not able to mic up, and then micing whatever amp I pick with my sm57/condenser combo.

Really thinking about picking up the VHT special 6 or Laney cub to be honest! Both sound fantastic.

The 5150 would be way too big for want I want! I'd love the H&K Tubemeister though, that thing looks amazing with automated tube biasing and the built in power soak down to 1W.

C-Martin, any chance you have a few pics of your studio there, from different angles? Looks really nice, want to get some ideas!