Amp Sims for Indie/Alt Rock?

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
What amp sims and cabs would you guys recommend for an alt rock / post-hardcore type sound?

I'm looking for something that sounds like Biffy Clyro, Brand New, Finch etc?

So far I am thinking of going with something like a Fender Twin-style amp, with a distortion pedal in front of it. No idea past that - any suggstions?

No, HyBrit is the heavier guitar. I use 'The Anvil' for my cleans - also free. Cleans have Bricasti impulses for the verb, and NastyDLA for the delays. There's an updated mix of the HyBrit here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two different ampsims with the same DI works like a charm. I use LeXtac and X50 V2 in the demos for our alt-rock/post-hc project. :)

LeXtac with a very attack-y clean/slight crunch sound, X50 with a mild/moderate distortion. Then just balance them out.
Gotta check out what impulses I'm using (included in X50 V2) though.

For recording I'll be using a Marshall tube amp, but wouldn't mind actually using this ampsim setup for our EP. :D

Here's info on Biffy's Simon Neil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Neil#Amplifiers. And I believe that guys from Finch mostly used jcm800 and rectos.
I like the bands you listed a lot too and went for the same sort of metal-ish rock sound for this mix:

I've used mix of Lepou's hybrit for darker midrangy tone and midscooped lecto for quadtracked rythm guitars here. And legion for doubletracked leads and tse x30 for solos.

Last edited by a moderator: