Ampeg SVT Micro head + cab

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I just saw a discount price for the Ampeg SVT Micro (200W head and 2x10 cabinet) for 299€ brand new, should I go for it?

For price comparison the head is 345€ and cab is 345€ at thomann, totalling 690€....

Last edited by a moderator:
true. but the only ampegs that dont suck nuts are the svt classics, preferably old ones. And even then its hard to find a good one of those.

You could almost get a used Eden Traveller 550 and a 4x10 cab for that amount, seriously give those a go. Phenomenal amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could almost get a used Eden Traveller 550 and a 4x10 cab for that amount, seriously give those a go. Phenomenal amps.

This is Finland, we don't know of such things. :dopey:

I like the Ampeg Micro, we have one in the shop and it's pretty cool for what it is. Don't have room or don't want to take that 8x10 to the gig at the local pizzeria? It's so cute! :eek:

But for recording, a good DI is imho more valuable, that is if you don't have one..

Anyone like the Peavey Tour stuff? I've done sound for bands using em live a few times and thought they sounded decent but never gotten to mess with them recording. There's some going pretty cheap on an Irish classifeds and I'm tempted to get it

Since I've actually used this, thought I'd chime in. First off, the MXR M-80 is awful compared to this amp, stay away. The actual tone of this thing is actually pretty decent, very similar to SVT-CL type tone although lacking the tube grit. It can be anywhere from typical rounded 70s SVT tone, so something a bit more agressive (although it never goes into overdrive). Max the gain and just set master volume to taste.

The one thing about it though, you really only get the proper volume by adding a 2nd 2x10 - so with just the one micro cab, you really won't be able to get past moderate practice volume. I have used it live at a gig, and it was plenty loud enough for stage volume, and the DI is decent which was sent to FOH.

Honestly, for the price and for the size I think it's an awesome amp. Much better than any of the other small amps I've had, with the exception of the Bass Terror but that amp is already double the wattage (and price).

This is Finland, we don't know of such things. :dopey:

I like the Ampeg Micro, we have one in the shop and it's pretty cool for what it is. Don't have room or don't want to take that 8x10 to the gig at the local pizzeria? It's so cute! :eek:

But for recording, a good DI is imho more valuable, that is if you don't have one..

This is Australia we don't have such things either haha. I personally really like Ampeg tone, just prefer Eden. Sorry if I came off as a jerk! Didn't mean to :)

Since I've actually used this, thought I'd chime in. First off, the MXR M-80 is awful compared to this amp, stay away. The actual tone of this thing is actually pretty decent, very similar to SVT-CL type tone although lacking the tube grit. It can be anywhere from typical rounded 70s SVT tone, so something a bit more agressive (although it never goes into overdrive). Max the gain and just set master volume to taste.

The one thing about it though, you really only get the proper volume by adding a 2nd 2x10 - so with just the one micro cab, you really won't be able to get past moderate practice volume. I have used it live at a gig, and it was plenty loud enough for stage volume, and the DI is decent which was sent to FOH.

Honestly, for the price and for the size I think it's an awesome amp. Much better than any of the other small amps I've had, with the exception of the Bass Terror but that amp is already double the wattage (and price).

Lol.. I have gotten great tones from the above combo. To each his own I suppose