Ampeg SVT : UAD vs Fractal III using Cygnus firmware

Elan Vital

New Metal Member
Jan 13, 2012
Right now I'm getting tractor beamed into a UAD setup, however I've already abondoned their interface offerings once before because I hate buying plugins and you can't run real mic pres into them properly unless you get the x16 which is rediculous for a home studio. What I do like about hardware is when I'm done, I can sell it. When I'm done with plugins, it just sits there and laughs at me. So with the UAD setup, I'd be out $300 forever even if something better hits the street. But I get the impression this is pretty good and might be as good as it gets. If a plugin is cheap, I don't really care. But with UAD I'd be in for $300 and if later I find out that the Axe is just as good, that's $300 I'll never get back.

As far as I understand it, the AxeFX III sits one step below UAD. And the Helix, Ampeg Suite sits another step below that (Neural might be here, I don't know). And the rest of the stuff another step below that.

But my concern is I think some of the older impressions of the AxeFX III might predate some changes that they rolled out since then, I wonder if they've gotten closer or matched it. Or even if it is a peg below, I'd be interested to hear what exactly is missing.

Basically the way the math works out right now is I'm in about $1000 either way, but with the AxeFX I get to up my demo game a bit, it would be very convenient, it's sexy in my rack. And it could possibly send most of my pedal drawer packing. But I am very skeptical of that. Either way, I'm hating that I want to buy the UAD right now brain wise, but my heart wants to grab another AxeFX III.

As much of a purist as I am, I just can't be cranking an 8x10 even in my isocloset. Too much money on gear, too loud, and that's coming from someone who plays 100w guitar heads without a care in the world. With the Ampeg stuff, 3 streets down they know what key I'm in.

Anyone who can weigh in, I appreciate it!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here?

Any decision you make is going to have pro's and con's associated with it. You're best off trying whatever you can and finding what works for you - the main part of engineering is working with what you have and manipulating it into what you need. I think the UAD Interface DI's are pretty solid and you can always pick up a sansamp quite cheap if plugins are really not working out. The plugins are alright and will do the job, but you'll always want to buy more. In your situation, I wouldn't worry too much and would recommend making any decision and moving forwards. No one piece of gear is always better in every circumstance, and remember how many great recordings have been made with far less. UAD and Axe FX's offer far more than just bass amps, so I'd make your decision based on what other value they are going to provide you with.