Ampsim for acoustic or clean tones?

^^ true actually, I forgot about that piece of shit! Its good for nice clean tones with a nice light chorus added but for heavy tones it really is shit.

Guitar Rig also sports some nice clean and breakup tones... too bad its high gain tone capabilities are utter shite.

Actually this is very true for clean tones - I have Guitar Rig 4 with the new Control Room thing I can get some good cleans that have pretty nice breakup when I dial up the volume a bit.

I would like to know what to model if I have to make a clean amp :p

Tough choice there man..

Jind said:
Fender Twin Reverb, Roland JC-120, I've also always liked the unique clean tone of a VOX AC30

I agree with that one! :lol:
For metal, the JC-120 is the way to go i think.. they are so clean its just sick.
More all-round, the Twin Reverb.
The sparkliest most shiny acoustic cleans ever: Vox AC30

big_superv_mod.jpg

... oh i do love the AC30! ;)

Another vote for Guitar Rig here. I was impressed with the clean sound. The high gain sound I wouldn't touch with a 15 foot pole, but if you're after cleans that doesn't matter.

I would like to know what to model if I have to make a clean amp :p

Fender Twin Reverb and Roland JC-120 are where it's at for cleans. I like both.

The Vox AC30 is cool too, but it doesn't have a ton of clean headroom like the two above. It's more aimed at the pushed, about to break up or barely breaking up type cleans. I prefer crystal clear, chimey, bell-like cleans with tons of headroom.

The key is an open back combo with speakers that work well for clean tones. I've heard good clean tones from closed back v30 cabs, but it's just not the same as a good combo like a Twin or JC-120.

We'd a Vox AC30 on my college that had really nice cleans- a really nice depth to it.

I honestly find the best trick for getting killer clean ITB is to just work on the DI, using comps,eq's and whatever it takes to control the dynamics of the piece. I don't use an amp sim or cab sim at all on it, usually get killer clean tones this way. Does depend on the guitar though- always works great with my ESP horizon but doesn't always work so great with the other axes I've got lyng around- especially stuff loaded with EMG's

The Vox AC30 is cool too, but it doesn't have a ton of clean headroom like the two above. It's more aimed at the pushed, about to break up or barely breaking up type cleans. I prefer crystal clear, chimey, bell-like cleans with tons of headroom.

I would say that no amp is as Chimey as the AC30.. but i do agree on the break up part(Its what makes it chimey.).

Id say that the JC120 is crystal clear, the AC30 is Chimey, and the Twin Reverb is Bell-like!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Tribe, not Whisper but I heard they are related and I think it makes a rather big difference:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1018681/DI.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1018681/tribe.mp3
Well, they sound different, but I don't like the tone. I like The-Zeronaut's better. Anyway, thanks for the example. Are you not using impulses also?

i dont remember :S
it was months ago
No problem, great tone anyway. It must be that my pickups are not good (they are the Ibanez rg7421 stock pickups, on neck position)

Maybe I can post my DIs and we can post different results to see if it is my shitty pickups or my shitty knowlegde :p, shall I?