An Anti-Damnation Album.

Dammnare

Feb 16, 2008
I saw this idea in general metal discussion posts, under the thread calling all opeth homos or sth like that. A guy said it would be nice if they did a completely brutal album like what they did with damnation, all clean. It sounded perfect. Think that you get a album of 6-7 songs which are all like Master's apprentices, the leper affinity,wreath, deliverance,karma etc...Would it be cool or not? What do you think?

I say it would be great. I got a name for the album : Obliteration

I dont know. I detest the idea of making a brutal album just for the sake of doing it. Opeth has nothing to prove to us. That being said, my favorite opeth moments consist of mainly metal moments such as the solo and the riff after in hessian peel or the deliverance outro. However, I do think that the brutal parts wouldnt be as brutal if there were no cleans. fact is, the clean parts emphasises the brutal part, the contrast, is the essence of opeth I think

Actually, Opeth at their heaviest - as we all know - is never the heaviest music out there, so Opeth trying to make the most brutal album out there would just sound pretentious. The true Anti-Damnation is not an album Opeth should make. Someone else maybe.

Actually, Opeth at their heaviest - as we all know - is never the heaviest music out there, so Opeth trying to make the most brutal album out there would just sound pretentious. The true Anti-Damnation is not an album Opeth should make. Someone else maybe.

Very good point monsieur

They could do a super brutal song for the next album, short and fast, but with some acoustic sections to still make it remain opeth, but make the acoustics wild too, something like BTPISIO, OH and make it a video song.

Btw. I thought that Deliverance is "the anti damnation album", it's got atleast 3 most heavy Opeth songs, +other heavy songs, there IS Faf, but it's just an insterlude/instrumental, it's better that way, even if the album is meant to be as heavy as possible.

Why does Opeth need to make a 'brutal' album? Just so all the big tough guys stop making fun of them for having prissy little bits?

Personally I don't see the point. Opeth have never been the kind of band that has relied on density. All of the 'super brutal' bands rely on the same old tricks and at this point are pretty much redundant anyway, and Opeth have been moving well away from anything resembling that kind of direction for more than a decade.

Opeth strength is in their dynamics and their diversity than any kind of bludgeoning features (I will leave that to Suffocation because that is what they do best).

Deliverance was the opposite side of the Damnation coin, and it is just find and dandy for me.

Yep your "Anti-Damnation" Opeth album is pretty much Deliverance. Hint why they're grouped together as the D&D albums. One side Heavy as they could get (at the time) and other side most Mellow.

I hope they never try to be as heavy as possible. Death metal is cool but it's definitely not Opeth. Not a single Opeth song in its entirety is really a death metal song.

'Deliverance' didn't succeed in being an 'anti-Damnation' at all. It's just a normal Opeth album, and not even their heaviest.

I don't think Opeth needs to do a 'brutal' album, but I had a thought the other day: I wonder what they could do with shorter songs? I'd be interested to see Opeth trying out a few 4 - 5 minute songs (that aren't ballads). There's nothing adventerous about writing 10 minute songs anymore. It's expected.

As an aside, I'd be interested to see what Katatonia could do with longer songs these days. They had them back in the day, and an 'epic' song in their overall current style might be neat.