An Ayreon Thread

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
yeah yeah, when you guys were talking about this months ago, I had no idea what you were talking about and I didn't care. Well, I bought the damn "Human Equation" album and it's fantastic. At first listen I thought, "man, this is boring" cuz i was in the mood for a shredfest. But for the past couple weeks, it's the only thing I can listen to. Thread justification: Mike's vocals are great. Easily the best performance on the album. And I don't think this because I'm a big Opeth fan - I'm a big fan of all the other bands on the album too. He just does a reall really good job. Everyone else comes in at a close second - awesome performances from all of them. I doubt anyone has anything to say here but comment if you wish; I just wanted to tell n00bs (did i type this right, Brian?) and other Ayreon-ignorers to get this album.

Ahahaha, i was the EXACT same way when i came to this forum...so many people talking about it...i thought it was death metal for some reason. That album works on so many levels, its amazing. Every part fits together, and each singer complements the other so well. Even the cheese (ie. Reason) makes me smile; Loser is flat out brilliant.

I think id say that Into The Electric Castle is even better though. Such a different vibe...i love the sci-fi take to it...its hilarious, amazing, adventurous, funny and twisted all at once. Anyone agree? Think im stupid? Prefer The Universal Migrator?

would anyone care to send me a track so that I can check them out? (preferably the one with Mikael on it)

I checked Amazon and there are no samples on there, and the reviews were a little ambiguous

i don't like human equation, there's something about it i can't really put my finger on...well the cheesy parts make me cringe, and i find a lot of it is pretty boring, as far as i'm concerned. i should listen to it more so i can formulate a better opinion, but my first few impressions of it have been negative.

Yeah, I'm not a power metal fan at all really, so I haven't really liked the album much.

Okay, I know it's a prog album, but it's just so cheesy that I figure you have to like power metal to enjoy it.

From arjen's website:

Into the Electric Castle' tells the story of 8 stereotypical characters from different periods of time who suddenly find themselves in another dimension.

A Highlander, Knight, Egyptian, Indian, Barbarian, Roman, Hippie and Futureman each try to understand where they are and what they are supposed to do. It is then that a voice rings out from the sky to tell them that the dimension they have arrived in is built on dreams and fears.

In order to find their way back to their own dimension and time, they must go in search of The Electric Castle. During the search every character is forced to confront his or her innermost fears, and not everyone survives the treacherous journey to the Castle.

At the end of the journey those that successfully dealt with their personal demons find out that the voice belongs to an alien named 'Forever of the Stars', a member of an alien race living in a distant galaxy. These aliens created planet Earth and its people as an experiment so they could study, and hopefully one day experience emotions, as they themselves lost feelings eons ago.

'Into the Electric Castle' is a double CD. On disc 1 we experience the journey to The Electric Castle and on disc 2 we find out what happens when they arrive there.

... saving throw against homosexuality: FAILED

at least its not as pansy as the queefs from Power Quest. Id like to put all of them in the "Electric Castle" and fly a fucking plane into it.

Erich w/ an h said:
From arjen's website:

... saving throw against homosexuality: FAILED

at least its not as pansy as the queefs from Power Quest. Id like to put all of them in the "Electric Castle" and fly a fucking plane into it.

haha... nice. :D

Erich w/ an h said:
Orphans say the silliest things.

Have you even listened to the album? Or just judged it entirely on its storyline, which was meant to be a joke more than anything else?

ps. Im just now listening to my brand-spanking new copy of The Final Experiment for the first time. Sounds ok, but seems kind of limited in comparison to his other albums.

I have the Human Equation box set that includes the bonus DVD. Mikael is on there, quite hilarious. Also the outtakes of Mikael fucking up his parts.. worth the $20.. hehe...

"Can you decide what to do, mother fucker?" -Mike

The album is generic because I've never heard anything like it. It's not power metal.. it is actually a mix of a lot of genres, too much effort for me to type out but it has a list on the DVD and also on the trailer they used to have on the website.. Devin does an awesome performance aswell.

Oinkness said:
The album is generic because I've never heard anything like it. It's not power metal..

you mean "isn't" generic? your sentence would make more sense then, heh.

anyway, i like the other ayreon albums more than human eqn. as of now. but i haven't spun human eqn in a while...i'll listen soon, and see what happens.