An epic song in the next album?

The Odyssey was the album that really made me like Symphony X, and I hope they will stick to that heavy kind of style. A darker album sounds very promising, darker albums usually have more occult/philosophical kind of lyrics, stuff I really enjoy. The masterpiece that is Helloween - The Dark Ride comes to mind.

dargormudshark said:
No, I think DWOT follows Paradise Lost pretty closely

It does, but since the divine comedy talks about some of the same places allusions are made, the most obvious one (and the only one that comes to mind right now) is "abandon hope all ye who enter here," which is the inscripsion on the gates of hell, described in the inferno. But it just touches on it, the song is still about paradise lost.

dargormudshark said:
No, I think DWOT follows Paradise Lost pretty closely

I can't believe this. I am reading Paradise Lost right now and I am up to Book 8 and I have to say that DWoT does indeed follow Paradise Lost.

---------SPOILER BELOW!!!-------------
If you plan to read Paradise Lost don't read ahead.

From DWoT:
The burning conflict I'm feeling
It summons me to descend into
the other side
And just beyond the stars blazing
A beam light from a red, velvet
moon illuminates me

I will devise, from perfect skies
A dark and vengeful day
Faith and mercy gone astray

With strength of infinite measure
The mighty sword divides order
from chaos in the kingdom below
And from the mansions of glory,
This empty soul cries out one
final plea ...
The end has begun

Our worlds collide, now in
disguise,
You'll feel the Wrath Divine
Tears of woe fall from the sky ...

THe "burning conflict" is Lucifer's jealousy of Jesus. God appointed Jesus as his right hand man. Lucifer's jealousy allows him to "descend into the other side." The "dark and vengeful" day that he devises is his gathering of the willing angels to fight god and overthrow him. THe "strength of infinite measure" is Jesus who defeats Lucifer and his army. In the battle against God and Lucifer, Jesus nearly cuts Lucifer in half with "his mighty sword." THe final plea is Lucifer's third attempt to defeat God's army. "Tears of woe" that fall from the sky (heaven) is Lucifer (now dubbed "Satan") and all of the rebellious angels including his close comrades; Beelzebub, Belial, Mammon, Mulciber, and Moloch.

Paradise Lost is an excellent epic poem and Milton deserves as high of a status, maybe even equal, to that of Homer and Virgil.

AutumnGust said:
The Odyssey was the album that really made me like Symphony X, and I hope they will stick to that heavy kind of style. A darker album sounds very promising, darker albums usually have more occult/philosophical kind of lyrics, stuff I really enjoy.

This does give me a new appreciation for what's going on in DWoT. I haven't read Paradise Lost--YET--but it's on my list of books to read whenever I get the time.

That one line, "Faith and mercy gone astray" is so compelling...I think perhaps because we often show such a lack of mercy in this world, or when we do, it's for only who we WANT to show it to.

The last studio update said they wont have a "epic" but they would have a longer song so im guessing it wont tell a story but it will be an insane song