An evening of Pagan Folk Metal -- this is where we listen and drink beer together!!

i'll pull out some beer and download these shitz shortly. i've already heard sunchariot, kroda and pagan reign, but not these particular songs i don't think.

I just found some old samples of my riff/song segments on my hard disk. Should I upload them? They're just guitar stuff, no mastering, drums, no keys, :anti mosh: !!

ålright thanks to haqr, the error in my calculations was omitting that it's 128 KBITS not 128 bits. so i'm off by a factor of 1000.

46 GIGAbytes per month. that's a more reasonable number.

Erik said:
i'll pull out some beer and download these shitz shortly. i've already heard sunchariot, kroda and pagan reign, but not these particular songs i don't think.

This is the new Kroda. There's a lot of NM influence with them making the effort to use traditional instruments.

Pagan Reign sounds too jollyfolk for you I'm sure, although there's some old In Flames in there. Or maybe not that track but on the album.

That Sunchariot song is stuck in my head. I should buy the album at some point -- all I have are the samples that Doomcifer shared with us.

Hey Erik...

Take a look at this web site:

https://www.audiovideoweb.com/audio-video-webcasting.html#

They have a bandwidth calculator and a corresponding price chart. I'm guessing we'd get no more than 25 people (probably way less). I'm thinking of a two hour live radio show each week. At least until we see if there's any interest.

Take a look and let me know what you come up with. Thanks.

Zod

General Zod said:
It's posts like these that make me think it would be cool for us to do what Seismic Radio does; have a live stream and a chat room to go along with it.

Zod

I've been a longtime supporter of Internet radio and was a regular on that station's chatroom a while back...Excellent fucking idea. The Gjallarhorn tune is also excellent...

Dick Sirloin said:
I'm listening to AFI and am sober. I am the anti-this-thread.

Well, I haven't listened to AFI in about 2.5-3 years, but I used to be an all-out fanboy for all of their stuff up to (and inclduing) "The Art of Drowning". They sure fucking suck now, but "Black Sails in the Sunset" (among other albums) had some really cool ideas on it.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now. Hmm... I wonder where my old CDs are. I'd like to hear Black Sails again, but I think it's gone. I do, however, have a copy of The Art of Drowning on vinyl. Maybe I'll pull that out. Hopefully I hate it so I don't feel gay.

Good, now I dont feel as gay for also owning "The art of Drowning." I honestly did like it when I bought it about 3 years ago, but its been so long since I've listened to it, and my taste in music has been shifting and shaping quite a bit since then. Maybe I'll dig it out this weekend and see if I still enjoy any of it.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Good, now I dont feel as gay for also owning "The art of Drowning." I honestly did like it when I bought it about 3 years ago, but its been so long since I've listened to it, and my taste in music has been shifting and shaping quite a bit since then. Maybe I'll dig it out this weekend and see if I still enjoy any of it.

Exactly. It was fucking amazing at the time... I had some good times with that album.

Goddamn my girlfriend always used to listen to Sing the Sorrow or whatever in the car ALL the fucking time in high school. someone should make that singer not alive anymore.

Demilich said:
Goddamn my girlfriend always used to listen to Sing the Sorrow or whatever in the car ALL the fucking time in high school. someone should make that singer not alive anymore.

Yeah that album sucks dick.

Demilich said:

My ex did the exact same thing. I've never gotten sick of an album so fast in my life.

Wow, holy shit you rock JayKeeley!! I finally had a chance to sit and listen to the tracks he posted and love every single one, save for Pagan Reign. Gjallarhorn has a real "vikingized" Primordial vibe going for it - LOVE the atmosphere, tons of potential. That Kroda song is killer as well, with only the odd sounding horn being difficult to get used - amazing guitar work on that one. The Sunchariot song was just so damn catchy - more straightforward than Gjallarhorn or Kroda, but also more immediate - loved it!

Only Pagan Reign was a disappointment, its mood perhaps spoiled by the atmosphere of the other tracks but it just seemed too "by the numbers" happy viking metal, and I wasn't a fan of the clean vocal section either.

Seriously, I need to hear more by Gjallarhorn, Kroda and Sunchariot.

An example of the RC board at its finest right here.

Jason

i'm sad that everyone loves gjallarhorn yet we have some that dont like Bathory, since you know, gjallarhorn gets 100% of their sound from Bathory. just stating it, not trying to start shit

Hey good stuff. 3 out of 4 wins is good going. :kickass:

I still think you might like Pagan Reign, what with your love of Moonsorrow and old In Flames. Let me post another one tonight just to give you another sample. (Alternatively, give it a little break and listen again, you never know).

J. said:
i'm sad that everyone loves gjallarhorn yet we have some that dont like Bathory, since you know, gjallarhorn gets 100% of their sound from Bathory. just stating it, not trying to start shit

I know what you're saying, but I wouldn't agree that it's a 100% clone. There are enough direct Bathory influences for sure, but there are Primordial / Falkenbach elements to it as well. Add to that the Doomsword vocals et voila.

I know where this debate is going, so I'll just say this: I've come to accept that people can like evolved clones more than the originators. Shit happens.