An idea for my band, more concerned about the mix...

Cheesebone

Jan 30, 2011
Hey fellas, these are a few riffs I have for a song idea for my band, but I've been taking peoples advice and reading other threads and trying to apply what I'm learning slowly but surely, so let me know what you think of this mix..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27733683/MaybeNew.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27733683/MaybeNew2.mp3
I think the kick is pumping, but I can't seem to get it to stop? The drums don't sound that strong without compression on the entire bus but it makes the kick pump a little bit.. any thoughts?

(BTW, guitars are HD500 Treadplate > KeFIR > Recto V30, just one track per side, 100% L/R)

Thanks!

**UPDATED MIX**

Listened to the old mix on my car away from the monitors and realized that there was virtually no boomy bass at all in the mix, like everything below 150hz was just gone for some reason. So I played with ReFIR and think I gave it the life it needed, plus I played some more with master bus compression and limiting and made it a little louder too..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27733683/MaybeNew3.mp3

For some reason, a few of the drum hits didn't end up in the mix also?? Not sure, why, they just didn't make it during the render process, lol.

Thanks for the input.. I'm not exactly sure if I know what you mean by a Parallel Compressor, lol but the drums ARE compressed with the Fabfilter Pro-C and I'm using a preset CALLED Parallel Compression, for what it's worth... lol. Mind giving me a little schooling?

I tried to tame the Snare a bit, I think it sounded so weird because it was just too loud, so I gave it a little more attention and think it sounds better as a whole mix now.

I feel like it's missing that loud, huge sound though as a whole.

Is there some kind of stereo spreader you are using? The snare is really dominating the center of the mix. Kinda weird but the guitars and bass sound fucking boss, haha.

No, no spreaders or anything.. the snare isn't panned at all but I thought you kinda want to keep the snare "dead center" along with the kick, and use the toms & overheads to fill in the rest of the stereo mix. Are you saying that I should try to double the snare and pan it somewhat to each side? Did you hear the updated mix at the bottom of the 1st post?

Thanks for the tone compliment though, I'm getting better at making it sound, I dunno.. better. They are pretty light gauge strings (10-46) so they don't have a big bite for recording but I don't wanna change strings each time I record something, my band plays in Drop-D and anything heavier than 11's just sucks for me at that tuning.

Listening a second time it actually sounds really good, maybe i listened to the first mix yesterday. Don't double the snare...although quad tracking the guitars, and panning the second two a little further in maybe just enough level to glue everything together could sound cool.

I actually just yesterday redid another song for my band that I wrote a while ago, just to get the idea recorded, and I quad tracked. I like to think that I'm a pretty tight player (of course, we all do) but when it comes to recording I can usually keep shit pretty solid. Maybe it's just the distortion I used, or the strings, I dunno, but I don't like the TONE I get when I quad track. My soundcloud page (www.soundcloud.com/cheesebone) has 2 songs with quadtracked guitars, Blumpkin and Lead Balloon, and even though the playing was tight, the tone is just weird. (Although admittedly, I didn't have my recording tone dialed in nearly as well as I have it now)

It's almost like I get a lot of that woofy low-mid 600hz noise, except I try to eq it out and it doesn't really fix the problem, lol. I CAN'T seem to eq it out at all. Maybe I'll put that track up here too for everyone to pick apart, it's a really cool song actually (at least, I think so, lol) but the tone just seems kinda muddier if I quad. The playing is tight, it just sounds weird to my ears.

yea and it's not bad the way it is now it's beyond my mixing abilities for sure, haha. I'll check that song out tho.