Check out my Mega Man mix!

Cheesebone

Jan 30, 2011
Ok so, I think I took some advice form my last post, and tried to apply it to this particular recording. Just put it together right now, and wanna know if it's any bit of an improvement over the last mix (although it's an entirely different song now but still... )

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27733683/Woodman.mp3

It's only 50 seconds long, it was an old song from Mega Man 2 that I've wanted to record for years but never got around to doing it until now, lol.

good work man, lol. It's entertaining and the mix is solid as well. I dig it! Guitars are a tiny bit dark for my taste but it definitely works.

Thanks! I'm ok with "taste" discrepancies, hehe, I just wanna keep trying to make things sound better as a whole..

Here's an updated mix I just did, added some compression to the entire drum track (and turned it's overall volume down a tad), made a small eq shift on the guitars, and tried to make the whole mix a little "louder" with the limiter without totally crushing the track, but I dunno, my ears are so used to hearing it I don't know if I made it worse or not, lol.

Let me know!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27733683/WoodMan2.mp3

Yea the newer one sounds way better, but is the bass pumping slightly at certain parts? kinda sounds like it to me idk.

I just listened to it again and totally agree with ya. So.. ok, question. How do I go about keeping that "loudness" while turning things down so it stop that pumping? I have tried this with other mixes, and it seems like I'm stuck between choosing one or the other, lol..

Usually pumping is caused because there are problems with how frequencies in different instruments are interacting. So if you're guitar and bass are fighting for low end, the mix will pump. Same goes for kick and bass, look at you're eq's to see where they're could be some discrepancies, and try to carve out some space for each one individually. I'm no expert, but on my last mix i boosted at 80hz for kick, and cut bass there, and then kind of a wide boost for bass round 200hz, and cut the kick there, high passed the guitars at 175, and just used the high low split on bass to make the guitars sound beefier.

Maybe I have too much bottom end on the guitars then, I have the 80hz area notched out of my bass, with a slight (like +1db) boost at about 120 hz on the bass, then I cut out about -6db at around 500hz with a relatively wide Q and a lo-pass at like 3.7k ...the guitars are hi-passed at like 70hz and then the whole EQ looks ridiculous just because there was so much "hiss" I was trying to get out of the tone, but the only EQ boosts for guitars happen at around 1-2k and it's only about 2db there, with a lo-pass at about 10.5k. You think I should set the hi-pass higher, then?

yea i'd set the high pass at 150 and see if that makes a noticeable difference. maybe try playing with the bass boost, i boost quite a bit higher than that and still get a very strong low end... you might end up liking things the way they already are in that regard but its definitely worth looking into.